Author Topic: how to remove both wheels at the same time  (Read 2274 times)

Offline zevk

• ST1300ABS
how to remove both wheels at the same time
« on: April 07, 2015, 10:31:40 PM »
The ST1300 centre stand is very well balanced to support the bike with BOTH wheels off! it makes it easy to work on, well relatively that is...

it’s common to do 1 wheel at a time by jacking the front of the bike high in the sky,  remove the wheel,  replace the worn tyre and re-install. Then repeat the process for  the other side...

Due to fact that I need to take both rims for tyre replacement, I had to devise a method to get both wheels off safely, w/o killing myself or the bike... :fp

By removing the REAR AND FRONT fenders, I gained more than enough clearance to allow easy removal.

I used a jacking just to brace not lift, the sump while removing the front wheel.  :thumbs

I then put the axles back in and blocked the front axle with a car stand.

Only when taking the wheels off the bike can you really appreciate how worn (scalloped)  and irregular the tyres look and feel (sorry poor night-time photos)  :-[

Even after 12,500 km the Pilot 3’s still have tread and I could probably squeeze another 3-4 k out of them but I don’t feel its worth the risk to save a few bucks...

My shed is to small to get a full size photo of the entire bike showing no front or rear wheels.

These tyres were fantastic for this bike and I am looking forward to the new generation Michelin Piolet 4 ($519)  which will be installed on Friday.    :thumbsup

...and if this hasn’t all bored you to death, I also discovered that those very irritating black tar dot marks, that stick to the rims and chassis, DO come off after soaking in WD40 and persistent scrubbing with a nylon brush, rag and elbow grease.   :grin

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:19:28 PM by zevk »
Zev

The following users thanked this post: Diesel, ST2UP, Abe

atoyot

Re: how to remove both wheels at the same time
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 10:19:10 AM »
I've just removed both front and back wheels without having to remove the front mudguard, which is a real bonus to me as I always have trouble with at least one captive nut in the guard that always falls out just as I'm putting the screw back in......

Anyway, I did it with a bike lift under the sump. First, I removed the back wheel as per the book, then I located the bike lift under the sump and just wound it up to the point where the centre stand foot bracket was just touching the ground (any further makes the stand lift off the ground from that bracket, making the bike unstable. Then I unbolted the brake calipers and had just enough clearance under the front mudguard to remove the front wheel. If clearance is tight, extra room can be had by turning the bars left or right.

The bike sits on the centre stand and lift very well, with no stability issues, in fact it's as solid as my MT01 on it's race stands.

Being able to do this saves me money as my local shop fits the tyres for free if I take the wheels in, and to be able to do them at the same time is just so much more convenient than multiple trips to the shop.

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 10:30:48 AM »
Nice one Zevk  :like

I have done my a couple of times in a similar manner....although kids are still threatened with eviction and removal from the will if they go into the shed....

Beats the alternative method we used to use on our push bikes as kids to get both wheels off .......be hard on ST windscreens  :Stirpot

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 08:01:53 PM »
Awesome work mate :thumbs

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)