Author Topic: Ride from Kilcoy to Maleny.  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
Ride from Kilcoy to Maleny.
« on: November 10, 2013, 02:45:10 PM »
There's a few on this forum who may already know this ride but I'll mention it anyway.
After the Toowoomba RTE I rode to Esk and alongside Sommerset dam to Kilcoy. I stayed at Kilcoy at the east side of town there is a small overnight camp park (has toilets and shower!).
This morning I left Kilcoy and stopped at Woodford for breakfast, then headed back toward Kilcoy to take the turn-off north towards Maleny (Kilcoy-Beerwah road?). I knew I had to turn left at one stage to head towards Maleny but I couldn't think what road it was so I rode past a few turn-offs until I noticed one that had a sign that said "Bellthorpe", so I took that turn. What a great road!!! It mustn't get used too much because there was a lot of leaf litter and small branches on the road, but it is sealed and has a good riding surface. There is a large sign that refers to the road being closed on weekdays for the school bus run, but is open the rest of the time. There were lots of twists and turns and switchbacks running rising uphill and when I thought I was the top there were more long sweeping bends and beautiful views. Due to the debris, evidence of cows crossing the road, the roads apparent unforgiving nature towards riding mistakes and respect for the locals it shouldn't be ridden with much gusto, but it's a great tour. I eventually turned left onto a more formal (?) road and that eventually took me into Maleny via the showgrounds. All in all I am glad that I took the wrong turn and found such a great road!!

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
Re: Ride from Kilcoy to Maleny.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 05:30:13 PM »
Yeah that road is OK Rodd but the road you were looking for is a fair way further on on the Kilcoy - Beerwah road. You do a nice set of twists up a bit of a range then there is a big sign to Maleny, turning left onto Stanley River Road. That is a fantastic ride. Brings you into Maleny at the same spot you finished up on. Hope you find it next time. Also it is worth the ride to continue on all the way to Beerwah. Great to see you again on Saturday.
Cheers.
Skip.
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.