Author Topic: Registering OzSTOC rides with the Qld Police (QPS)...  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
Registering OzSTOC rides with the Qld Police (QPS)...
« on: December 03, 2013, 01:48:22 PM »
After talking this subject through with the OzSTOC Forum Mods and the Qld Police themselves, we have come to this opinion regarding the registering of rides....

There can be benefits for registering - including:

- Form a positive repore between the QPS and OzSTOC QLD;
- Once positive repore is achieved - avoid a 'negative confrontation' out in the countryside whereby OzSTOC Members may be searched, licence and rego checked; AND
- also has the possibility of assistance from the QPS if they have available Members to help with traffic etc.

As you may know, registering rides is NOT COMPULSORY and, I will point out, that there is NO PENALTY for not registering. Keeping all the above in mind, I will probably register rides where the numbers are 8-10 or over. Streak will probably do the same.

If YOU conduct an OzSTOC ride, you are under no obligation to register it either from OzSTOC's or QPS's point of view - it is up to you.

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline sargent

• Every days a new adventure
  • Legendary Member
  • ST Rider - Collector, NSW
Re: Registering OzSTOC rides with the Qld Police (QPS)...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 02:19:56 PM »
I agree...  :thumbsup
Robert - White ST1100P (they're just better)

Offline Icor

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 02:42:42 PM »
Good sensible move there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:04:31 PM »
Can't hurt. Good thinking 99 Diesel.  :phone
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 09:24:04 PM »
If nothing else as you say it'll put OzSTOC into a good light with the QPS :think1 :think1 :think1
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 09:52:08 PM »
Pro-active thinking guys  :thumbsup
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline IanB

• Trundler
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:53:54 PM »
Mr Goody Two Shoes is going to register rides to build rapport with the boys in blue.
Bearing in mind that we ride "rice burners" and they look a bit like the ones with flashy lights and whistles how often do you think we would be stopped.
Aren't the boyos looking for the baddies.
Can't imagine any 1%ers using ST's as camouflage.
If the govt and their servants want to waste valuable resource pulling over large tourers I'm willing to help waste their time.
Valid  licence and a roadworthy bike is all that's needed.
The bright sparks who wrote the law should go back to the typewriter and work out how best to target the bad bastards without interfering with my right to go for a ride with some pals.
Never under estimate the predictability of stupidity.

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 01:14:23 PM »
Can't hurt, although I'd guess that Diesels' doing it in the groups interest and not for personal reasons.

I can't say that I have had any issues whatsoever with the Police while riding. I've been pulled over plenty of times for RBT, etc. I've hardly ever see the cops when out and about even on longer trips.

Offline IanB

• Trundler
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 02:04:50 PM »
Didn't mean it as anything to do with Deisels plans.
Just not in agreement with the all encompassing law.
The govt could have dusted off jobjelke's law banning gatherings of more than five.
But I'm probably wrong on all this. Newman did get an 84% vote to allow him and Jarrod to do what they like.Don't ride to the Xmas do in a group. Copshop just up the road might have cause to stop and search. Could be a portable meths lab hidden in all those panniers.
 :Stirpot
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 05:41:19 PM by Pocket STocker »
Never under estimate the predictability of stupidity.

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
IanB, I so agree with you.

PS has anyone noticed that the new Laws which are making our lives a bloody misery actually do not mention motorbikes in any way, shape or form??? Seig Heil!!
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Sean

• It's somewhat brighter after the dark!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 05:08:10 PM »
Whizz,

Do not read into this that I have a particular position on the laws either way, but how have they made our lives a bloody misery. Which member of the forum has experienced any treatment other that what they normally would have expected as a general motorist?

I wouldn't register for a ride I did privately, but if I organised anything on the forum, I would register in respect for the position that Streak and Diesel have taken.

Sean
1995 ST1100P
2002 ST1100A
2004 ST1300A (Blue)

:wht11 :dred11 :blu13

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »
Since when have the cops had the authority to ask you to register your intention to ride anywhere, for any reason. You have a license and a legally acceptable vehicle, just like car drivers, but are they asking car drivers to tell them where and when they are going anywhere? No, they are not! The original set of excuses for this level of interference in a normal, law-abiding citizens life was that they needed to remove illegal bike riders...which originally were 1% of Harley riders, which made them a hell of a lot less less than 1% of normal bike riders in Queensland, and all it achieved was for the illegal riders to stop riding and start using cars and 4-wheel drives to break the laws. So now the unbelievably high percentage of normal everyday bikers who are left as bike riders are the ones being picked on by cops for absolutely no valid reason and with absolutely no excuse other  than the politicians who are driving this insanity wanting to get their names in the papers.

That is why I am so violently opposed to this level of arrogant and unjustified police interference with a perfectly law-abiding bike rider's legal right to ride whenever and wherever he wants to.

Please understand that I 100% understand why both Streak and Diesel are going to supply the information that is asked for the police, after all this is not a Harley bikers club and does not at any time break any law, but this just raises the point that, knowing we don't break the law, why should we have to cowtow to the police by providing them with information that has absolutely nothing to do with them? If they feel justified in asking these questions of innocent bike riders, why are they not asking the same questions of car drivers?
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Brian

• ST Immortal
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 06:06:49 PM »
Has anyone riding in a group been stopped by police under these new laws??
I don't know anyone that has
I jus wanna ride my bike

09 ST1300 Charcoal Metallic (Grey GhoST)
09 ST1300 Candy Glory Red (Red MiST)

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 07:28:06 PM »
I understand the concern. My wife works for QLD Education and has been worried what Newman is capable of and what he has done wielding his axe.
The cops don't have the authority to request that people register their rides (as Diesel has said, it's your choice). I take it the idea is that IF you register your ride with Police then IF they stop you on a ride then it can be processed more quickly. Cops can stop you any time in you car, bike, truck, etc. as it's heavily regulated anyway (licensing, speed/alcohol limits and other limitations due to health, criminal history, etc), BUT if it negatively affected my enjoyment to ride then I would complain. It hasn't so far.. at all. I don't consider being stopped for breath test, or criminal check to be a cause of me not enjoying a ride.
I often hear people complain that the govt/police/courts don't do enough to curb crime. In many cases I agree, so I'm not going to criticise the govt/Police/courts when they do attempt to do something.
The questions that concern me are:
   Are they going overboard? I don't know the answer to that. They may have good reasons for doing this. I saw a documentary a while ago about the Italian Govts attempt to crush organised crime and similar problems they had. I do know that 'organised crime' is a bad thing.
   Will it affect me? If I get caught up in some mess and end up with a criminal record then I won't be a happy man. I have an idea what the 'courts' are like and don't even want to be in a position where I have to defend myself in court. So far I haven't even got the attention of the Police.
   Are they going to be successful? If the govt fails and then the criminal gangs have more power (because they know what they can get away with) then again 'I won't be a happy man'. If the govt is going to attempt this (crushing criminal gangs in QLD) then they really need to succeed. I see that the bikie legal representatives are going to be challenging this in the high court before Christmas. I don't feel confident that the govt is going to have success.

So, what should I do? I don't think that there is anything I can do, or anything that I need to do. I'm not too worried if I get stopped and my license and rego are checked. That happens anyway, but again, I haven't even gained the attention of Police because I ride a motorbike. I DO know that the gangs were causing problems on the Gold Coast.

So at this stage I have had no reason to worry.

Again.. all of the above is only my opinion and viewpoint and I may be wrong.. and I don't mind if others have different opinions. I am always open to learn from others.. I just learn more if it involves logic and common sense and respect.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 07:40:45 PM by Rodd »

Offline Sean

• It's somewhat brighter after the dark!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »
And that is exactly the point I was trying to make. It is 100% voluntary to register or not, it is your choice. There is no inference if you choose not to. If I am not riding with a forum organised ride I will not be registering. That is my choice.

1995 ST1100P
2002 ST1100A
2004 ST1300A (Blue)

:wht11 :dred11 :blu13

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 07:54:38 PM »
There is something that puzzled me when they started talking about registering group rides with the Police. How do they know if you are all legit? I mean, if a group registers a ride are the Police going to count the riders as they ride past to see if 'criminal 'bikie has tagged along for the ride? How do they know if each rider is legit without checking each bike and rider. I'm sure that if I was a QLD copper then I would be thinking the same thing.
If you haven't registered a ride and they stop the group then they can quickly get an idea of who you are from your license and rego check anyway. So, I'm not so sure of the point of it.
Maybe it's more of a benefit if someone from the general public rings the Police with concerns of a big bad 'bikie gang' in town. Then the Police can let them know that it's ok without dragging officers away from their normal duties to check up on the bikers. I don't know.. just had me wondering.

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 10:05:15 PM »
[Rant]

When Trucks, Buses, Cars, car clubs, Ute Clubs, and bicycles have to register their travels, I'll register a ride. 

I've seen the online form and it is quite onerous, and once a fixed start time and fixed end time and destinations.  Kind of takes away from the spontaneity of just going for a ride with friends.  It also takes away the discretion of altering the route or destination on the day due to weather or road closures.

My concern is it is one step away from wearing a Star of David or Pink Triangle. 

There laws were never about OMCG's and all about the up coming G20 meeting early November next year.  Anyone who protests and gets up Newman's nose will be labelled OMCG and locked away without bail until after the event and then charges will be quietly dropped.

I also anticipate it being used against Union Members who protest or strike. Once that precedent is set it will be used against political opponents.

The VLAD legislation is too broad, it doesn't specify OMCG at all.  That is up to the discretion of the AG. Any group of three, whether an association or not, whether registered or not.

As the Human Rights commissioner of QLD has already pointed out, the VLAD laws breach international laws of Freedom of association which Australia has signed.

Also other international Laws the VLAD Laws has breached is Laws have to apply uniformly to all citizens, otherwise it it is not seen to be Just.  That is why the Statue of Justice is a blindfolded lady with balancing scales. 

Always be very wary when politicians give themselves unlimited power.

I will always fervently oppose Mandatory Sentences because each Judge or Magistrate hearing a case should, based on the evidence presented, always be able to decide what sentence appropriately applies.  Not some politician who has not heard a word of evidence.
As some of you know, I'm a former Soldier and I'm quite in favour of following the rules, but I find these ones particularly abhorrent.

We already have Statutes for Theft, Robbery, Extortion, Affray, Riot, Murder, Manslaughter, Drug Trafficking and Manufacture and possession.  Applying these laws with the correct resources would achieve the same result.

All the VLAD laws will successfully do is drive them underground. We've seen how much success Police have overseas dealing with Street Gangs [Same culture, different name]. I've already seen in the media items about a "MC Gang" in Sydney, that don'e own bikes. WTF? That is a Street Gang.
So I still fail to see how these laws will do anything other than some hairy chest thumping by Campbell Newman. (Expect an election to be called just after or just before G20).

[/Rant]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 07:35:17 AM by Gadget (Gary) »
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 03:08:06 AM »
So if we have to register a start point for the RTEs it would have to be all of QLD, as a lot of people make their own way from all over the place?
Insert QLD map with all suburbs leading to the the Esk Bakery :rofl :grin
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)