Author Topic: Possible ride the Mt Lindsay Rd with an Overnighter Sept/Oct?  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Barry and Marissa

• ST Legend
Just putting this idea out there to see if there is any interest?  :think1

After the Uralla RTE Greencan, myself and Marissa had a fabulous ride home to Brisbane from Tenterfield via the Mt Lindsay Rd.
We were warned by many not to take this route and dispite the advice we wanted to see for oursleves what the road was really like.

We thoroughly enjoyed the entire ride and it was a spectacular journey over a variety of road surfaces with lot of things to stop and see along the road.

Greencan and myself thought it would make a great overnighter trip. So I'm just putting the idea out there to see if there are enough people interested in doing an overnighter to Tenterfield with a ride back the following day along the Mt Lindsay Rd?

I'm thinking of maybe a weekend some time in Sept /Oct that doesn't clash with any other Ozstoc RTE's.

Reply if you'd be interested to doing it  :thumb 
Barry and Marissa :) :)

Barry 2012 VFR800 Red.
Marissa 2011 VFR800 Red.

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Possible ride the Mt Lindsay Rd with an Overnighter Sept/Oct?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 10:39:50 AM »
It must have been graded!  The corrugations I experienced wouldn't have left you unscathed.  I was back to a slow walking pace over the worst of it.  I had to carry out repairs to the bike after I got home.      :eek

I certainly agree the country is spectacular.  The Koreelah Creek Bridge is just one example.

You can see it and the area on Google Streetview at

-28.43509, 152.38307

For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 01:18:06 PM »
Good one Barry  :-++ This is what we want to see  :like ........"Build it and they shall come"

Looking at the RTE Calender for QLD & NSW, October would be the best choice of month.......post a date mate even a pic  :thumbsup

With some zippy ties, bluetack and Candy red coloured gaffa tape on hand Diesel may even point STella down there again  :nahnah

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 01:21:14 PM »
This was for sale at one stage......but if your thinking Tenterfeild, this isnt far away  :think1

http://ridersrest.com.au/

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 02:32:10 PM »

Quote from: ST2UP on 17-07-2014, 13:18:06

With some zippy ties, bluetack and Candy red coloured gaffa tape on hand Diesel may even point STella down there again  :nahnah

:well        STella will "Bike of the Year" before STig under the current conditions - so ner!           :nahnah

Riders Rest is an absolute bonza place (or at least it was 3 years ago). It is totally bike/biker friendly, and Pop who owns it is a champ. Recommend this as it is just over the range from Tenterfield, and not too far from Tabulam (After which you turn north to Woodenbong)

Great idea Baz - thanks for posting.     :rockon

Cheers, Diesel
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 02:56:49 PM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 03:22:07 PM »
One of my ideas was a RTE to Bonalbo. 

I haven't been on teh Bonalbo Urbenville Road for a very long time and it was dirt back then, but Google Street View seems to show it as all bitumen now. 
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Bluey

• Burleigh Heads, Qld
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 04:26:53 PM »
I rode the Killarney to Woodenbong section about 4 months ago and I was not impressed. I thought it to be one of those roads where if you go slowly, it is very rough, if you go fast, it is very dangerous, but smoother and the right pace can be hard to find...... Some sections you just have to grit you teeth, hang on and hope for the best.

The Summerland Way is a great bit of road from just Nth of Woodenbong down to Kyogle. Or from Woodenbong south through Urbanville, then Bonalbo to Tabulam and across to Tenterfield

- or did somebody already suggest that????.
'99 ST1100

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 07:16:54 PM »
I did the Urbenville - Bonalbo Road a couple of years back and it was a very ordinary road surface to say the least. Unless it's been resurfaced, I wouldn't go on it again.
I can highly recommend staying at the Tenterfield Golf Club. They have a dozen or more motel style units on site. Great meals at the club house and a 20m walk and you're in bed.  :thumbsup   Only downside was no undercover parking.
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 07:43:03 PM »
It must have been graded!  The corrugations I experienced wouldn't have left you unscathed

Evenin' Bill et al...ehh, No!

The first bit of about 9km was OK,  the rest however, enabled me to surpass, by far,  my previous attempts of corrugation induced Gregorian throat singing  :grin

Offline Barry and Marissa

• ST Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 07:04:55 PM »
One of my ideas was a RTE to Bonalbo. 

I haven't been on teh Bonalbo Urbenville Road for a very long time and it was dirt back then, but Google Street View seems to show it as all bitumen now. 

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=Tabulam,+New+South+Wales&daddr=Bonalbo+NSW+2469+to:Old+Bonalbo,+New+South+Wales+to:Urbenville,+New+South+Wales+to:Woodenbong,+New+South+Wales&hl=en&ll=-28.564019,152.601471&spn=0.742978,1.674042&sll=-28.63798,152.601704&sspn=0.888301,1.674042&geocode=Feo3R_4dFQMYCSmjx7YwHO-ZazFgtkOQtAkGBA%3BFU6ESf4d9NYYCSkNqDKgzOKZazEwrUOQtAkGBA%3BFb7HSv4dV2oYCSkD_UiCzFmXazFAtEOQtAkGBA%3BFfaJTf4db7IXCSnDspcGTEOXazGwt0OQtAkGBA%3BFeHRTv4dw60YCSnZzXhj9kaXazFQuEOQtAkGBA&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

Hi Gary,
I rode the Tabulam, Bonablo Rd last weekend and it is a great ride.
We had lunch at the Bonalbo pub (Dog and Whistle I think it was called). It would make a great RTE destination!!! :thumb

Thanks for the feedback on the Mt Lindsay Road ride idea!  :thumbs

It seems more people have a dislike for the road than there might be people willing to give it a try?  :fp But that's not a problem, we can still make it a weekender of it for anyone that might like to just ride their ST to Tenterfield for a get together.

I'll organise the ride as an overnighter RTE in Tenterfield. If we stay in town accommodation and meal options are plentiful. Those who are interested in riding the Mt Lindsay Rd on the Sunday can tag along with me, those who'd rather give the adventure riding a miss and stay on the black stuff can choose whatever route best suits them to get home.  :runyay

I'll do a little more research and try to find a weekend that doesn't clash with other RTE's! 

Cheers

Barry     :grin
Barry and Marissa :) :)

Barry 2012 VFR800 Red.
Marissa 2011 VFR800 Red.

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 08:07:27 PM »
The Pun in Bonalbo was where I was considering the RTE.  Good to hear some positive feedback on it.   :thumb

:think1 maybe a destination for a RTE next year or perhaps a Saturday lunch stop on the way to Tenterfield Overnighter.

I have an old school friend in Tenterfield so an Overnighter there and a chance to catch up would be good.  ++
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 08:45:51 PM »
A few dates to avoid:
13-Sep-14 : Davo memorial ride to Wilmington
13-Sep-14 : Wall to Wall ride to Canberra
20-Sep-14 : OzSTOC ride to Inverell
18-Oct-14 : DRA ride to Bingara
18-Oct-14 : OzSTOC SS1600 IBA ride
1-Nov-14 : Snowy Ride