Author Topic: The electrical gremlin has got me  (Read 2153 times)

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
The electrical gremlin has got me
« on: March 23, 2016, 06:25:34 PM »
This is one for the Gurus.
My 2003 ST1300
Problem,
When turning off the ign. The motor shuts down as normal. However the lights stay on as well as all of he instrument lights .
The indicators behave and do not operate with the ign. turned off.
The only way that I can turn off the head lights and dash is to thumb the start button with the ign. in the off position. Everything then shuts down.
A current leakage test of the battery will show a momentary current of approx 29 milliamps for a very short time, about a half second , it then reduces to  a very low amount of point 7 of a milliamp.
I would think that this would be normal.
I have exhaustively checked all of the wiring and connectors that I can access, there is no sign of degradation, ie. dirty or bad connectors , worn or abraded wires, etc,etc.
There are no fault codes from the F1 light.
All of the relays , fuses etc, appear to be in good condition and everything seems to be clean neat and dry.
I have not added any farkles etc. to the bike and everything seems to be stock standard, except for the electronic MC cruise that the PO had fitted.
The bike runs and operates flawlessly, except for this glitch with the operation of the headlights.
Needless to say I am stumped by this one.
I welcome any suggestions and or comments.

Cheers to all,
Winston66
Northampton, Western Australia
Lets see what you all can offer
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
Re: The electrical gremlin has got me
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 06:37:29 PM »
The only thing I can think of is possibly a sticky headlight relay. The contacts may have partially welded at some stage due to a temporary short when a filament has blown.

Have you replaced any relays with a new one?
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • 98 ST1100 Portland, SW Vic coastal.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 04:46:54 PM »
I agree with Gary, sounds like a faulty headlight relay, maybe a broken return spring?
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

Online STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 05:03:40 PM »
Or the headlight cutout switch on the back of the starter button. Try some contact cleaner/lube in there.

The following users thanked this post: Kev Murphy

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 05:13:07 PM »
Or the headlight cutout switch on the back of the starter button. Try some contact cleaner/lube in there.
Good thought.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

The following users thanked this post: STeveo

Offline Abe

• 4D Gang Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »
I have to agree with Gadget and STeveo, it may be just dirty contacts.

But, great work there Winston on doing a very detailed analysis  :thumbs
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 08:27:53 PM »
Hi everyone ,

Well here is the latest news.
The problem appears to be solved, but you would be lucky to find a solution so easily.
The remedy, This is what I did.
firstly remove all of the plastic
I inspected all of the accessible wiring and connectors for obvious signs of chafing, bad connections, overheating , etc, etc, Nothing found, everything appeared to be spicky clean and  in good condition.
I back probed all available earthing points to check continuity to chassis earth. All ok, and no signs of bad connections , , both sides,  and  or any overheating at the connectors.Nothing found.
I checked all fuses, and relays for integrity of operation , both by substitution with a known good item and  also by bench testing of the original units.
In my initial analysis of the problem it was apparent that the motor control relay (shut down relay) was holding on when the ignition switch was turned off.
However I persisted in checking all of the relays , including the start relay and then cleaning the right hand handle bar stop and run and the start switches.
The initial problem still persisted.
During this process I monitored the engine control relay activation feed from the ignition switch. The red/black wire.
With the ignition switch in the on position the voltage at the relay measured 11.6 volts 
I thought that this was a little low as the battery voltage at that time was in excess if 12.6 volts.
Then I turned the ignition off and the voltage at the relay dropped slightly to 10.6 volts.Something strange here as it should have dropped to zero volts with the ignition off.
This meant that the relay was still energized and supplying full power to its dependent circuits.
On shorting the red /black wire to chassis earth there was a bit of a spark and the headlights and dash display extinguished when the relay dropped out and did not re energize.
Something strange here I thought.
The next step was to uncouple the ignition switch connector ,4 wires plug just behind the left hand fork and unplug the engine stop relay, then I checked the red /black wire for continuity, all ok there , then I checked for resistance to chassis earth , this showed a direct short , zero ohms resistance  to earth, Something strange here thought I, this is not good.
A few minute later a a new  substitute wiring harness was fabricated to bypass the suspected short circuit to chassis earth  that the red/black wire was showing.
And when plugged into the connector for the ignition switch and the other end to the motor control relay, and the ignition switch turned on and the starter activated the motor started and ran as normal , as well as all of the dashboard functions  were as normal and when the ignition was turned off the motor shut down as it should and the  head lights , dash light and functions etc, operated as normal.
It seems that my problem is solved.

I will have to reassemble the bike ,(plastic's etc), and then go for a road test. just to make certain that  everything is ok, but I do not think that there will be any problems now.
A half a dozen energize , start , stop ,  on ,of ,cycles  of operation whilst on the stand and still in the garage did not show any problems when I checked all of the operational systems that I could think of, So now I have my fingers crossed.
Please wish me luck.

cheers to all,
Winston66,
Northampton , Western Australia
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • 98 ST1100 Portland, SW Vic coastal.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 08:44:58 PM »
 :thumb  the old wire must be damaged somewhere in the loom and tracking to earth.
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 08:50:36 PM »
Awesome work mate :hatwave and as requested... Good luck ;-*
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 09:32:29 PM »
Strewth.  That's persistence paid off for you!
Well done finding that weird fault.     ++
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2016, 06:46:55 AM »
Good work.  :thumb

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 07:04:34 AM »