Author Topic: FCE - fuel cut eliminator - make the ST more user friendly...  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
FCE - fuel cut eliminator - make the ST more user friendly...
« on: November 02, 2012, 02:45:03 PM »
Here is a link to an FCE for the ST13.

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/st1300.htm

A few folks have remarked that the fuel injected STs can be very notchy or even jerky when going from a no throttle to throttle on situation (mainly when slow cornering - the sudden amount of power going through the drive train can startle the rider, upset the suspension, and the sudden change of speed can affect traction and the lean angle - right when you don't want it to!)       :eek

This item smoothes all this out by all accounts.

Although it says "race use only" - I believe there is a street version.

Cheers, Diesel
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:57:31 PM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: FCE - fuel cut eliminator - make the ST more user friendly...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
It's an interesting read.  The "Race Use Only" disclaimer is because of its bypassing the mandated Fuel Cut that Honda are required to build in for emission control.

Let us know the results when someone forks out the $130 to try it.

I personally don't have issues with the way the FCU performs its job.  I know there is transmission lash, but that's about the only adverse feeling I get from the machine.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 11:04:51 PM »
When I first got my ST in June last year and started riding, I seriously looked as this as I was having trouble - particularly at low speeds - but the cheapskate in me held off. I then found a post on ST-Owners where the snapping effect can be reduced by removing the slack in the throttle cable.

All I needed to do on mine was to adjust it at the top of the cable (just below the handlebar are a couple of adjusting nuts built into the cable) - some need to adjust the other end of the cable (under the tank) if there's too much.

Ma Honda configure the installation with about 1/4" of slack - reduce this to 0 and it makes quite a difference. It's probably not as good as the FCE can make it, but I've learnt to control it better with the clutch. Even if you get the FCE, adjust the slack away regardless.

R.
 :blk13
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 07:40:30 PM »
From the reports I have read over the years on the FCE, sometimes it solves or reduces the problem, sometimes not.  As everyone has different sensitivity to the issue (ie are you ham fisted or not!) probably reflects that.  I still think that CV carbs are jerky...when I tested an ST13 seemed about the same as the ST11 is this regard, and that was on a short ride with not much chance to get used to it..
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Nh478m

• NH478M
  • Farkled to death - well it was!
    • My '13
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 01:51:56 AM »
I fitted the FCE from Ivan's to my first ST1300. That was NH478m which was a 2003 model. It was really snatchy at low speed and when picking up from deceleration. I seemed to be spending more time working the throttle than enjoying the ride. The FCE worked a treat and it really smoothed things out. Yes there is only one version called for race only, exactly as pointed out because it side swiped the US emission standards.

One downside I found was that during hard acceleration while changing up, there was a significant over-rev until the next gear engaged, but it was ok and overall it transformed the riding experience very much or the better.

The new bike which is a 2010 model definitely does not need it. Purrrrfect!
PJ