Author Topic: Top of the line Drift and GoPro cameras  (Read 5758 times)

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
Top of the line Drift and GoPro cameras
« on: November 25, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »
Streak got me thinking about the Drift Ghost HD camera.
I raised the funds for the Drift Ghost HD (currently $350 at Peter Stevens Motorcycles via eBay).
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131004684534?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

But when I was about to purchase I noticed the new Drift Ghost-S camera.
http://driftinnovation.com/drift-ghost-s/
These will be available in Australia in the next few weeks for $480. I see that Drift sells them to locals in the U.S. for $399.

Advantages over the Ghost HD are the higher resolutions at the high frame rate (FPS), better sensor, faster processor, etc. It is a big jump $130.
Nobody in Australia at the moment will sell for anything other than the RRP (when I had my own business I was lucky when I could sell something at RRP because that gave the item a healthy margin!).

Now, the GoPro Hero3 Black action camera is for sale at $439. I prefer the style of the Drift Ghost-s but in this case the GoPro is a better price and is ready to deliver now.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321244163894?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I'm tempted to go for the GoPro and avoid the extra cost and wait (new release problems?) of the Drift Ghost-S
Thoughts?

EDIT: I wont be looking at the GoPro cameras because they don't have an LCD screen.. a camera in that price bracket and no viewing screen!!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:28:44 PM by Rodd »

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
Re: Top of the line Drift and GoPro cameras
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 11:18:31 AM »
GoPro HERO3: Almost as Epic as the HERO3+

Now I know why their cameras cost so much!... promotion!  :CB--

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 11:26:54 AM »
I was wondering about the advantages that these higher end cameras had (with regards to frame rate) over the ones below them.
Seeing that 25 fps provides quite a good picture, why the need for higher frame rates?

ABout quarter to midway through this video the fella explains some advantages of the higher frame rate.
Best Hiking Settings for GoPro Hero3+

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 12:31:34 PM »
Here's the link to a QLD seller:

http://www.gearfactor.com.au/cameras/drift_HD_ghost_sports_action_camera.html?gclid=CMLS8bXw_roCFUdKpgodjloATQ

They have the Drift Ghost-S on order and when you search on Google they show that they sell the Drift Ghost HD for $350, so hopefully will do a better deal when the Ghost-S come in.

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »
The Drift Ghost-S camera is in stock at GearFactor today! So I have already placed my order and should receive it before the weekend.

They matched Camzilla's price of $479 + delivery ($14).

I went to JB HiFi today to check out the GoPro Hero3+ Black. They wanted $529 but I asked for a better price and it was adjusted to $508. I then told them that Autobarn had them for $498, so he adjusted the price to $488.

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »
Camera arrived this morning.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 03:11:27 PM »
We're getting our GoPro Hero3 cam and a few other items via one of the hamper sites but we have to wait another year for delivery.

With all the settings all I can see me using is just 1080p which suits our HD TV

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 10:30:19 PM »
I made a mount for the camera this morning.

Using some stainless steel flat bar, a 6mm dia countersunk bolt, a short length of rubber pipe, a 1/4" bolt and a large flat washer.

The Police light mounts have a 10mm hole and the rubber hose fits nicely through it and protrudes about 4mm or so. The 6mm dia. counter sunk bolt fits into the flat bar but sits flush with the top surface. It goes through the rubber pipe and a stainless washer and nut goes on the end. By tightening the nut it makes the rubber pipe bulge inside the Police light mount and this makes the flat bar rubber mounted but rigid to the bike. I cut the 1/4" stainless bolt head so that it had two flat sides and then I bent the large flat washer over it to form a wingnut.
The tight fit of the rubber pipe still allows the flat bar to swivel but only when you want it to.

This afternoon I mounted my cheap Aldi HD video camera to it and recorded some riding video. It wobbled a bit but that was due to the cameras mount flexing in it's body (they're not designed for this type of mounting and recording. The Drift Ghosts-s fitted and worked flawlessly on this mount. Videos to come.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 10:33:51 PM by Rodd »

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 10:44:23 PM »

The Drift Ghost-s

The cheap Aldo Medion Traveler HD camera. Good video for hand held shooting.

My Fuji camera. Tempted to try it while riding.

Offline Pezzz

• NR2016 Group
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST1100 Rider
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 11:51:58 PM »
Thinking Marcus is going to have a field day with all those cameras mounted in photoshop.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Pezzz
:wht11
FarRider # 730

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 01:14:06 AM »
Don't forget this one:

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 05:58:25 PM »
Here is a sample of the Ghost-s mounted in 3 different positions: LHS Police light mount, Helmet and RHS wing. I've also included short clips of the Aldi cameras. The Medion Traveler (Aldi) takes quite good video but it's graphics processing speed and rigidity of the base mount are designed for use mounted to a bike, so you can see at the end it's not suited to action videos.

I'm really happy with the build quality of the Ghost-s and it's video quality. It loses a lot when uploading to youtube compared to playing the original video on the PC.

In the first part (helmet mount) I had attached an external microphone but it wasn't suited to the camera, so audio is crap.

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 06:53:35 PM »
The Quality is amazing. But wow that wind noise...The Police light mount was the best

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 07:56:27 PM »
Yes, I'm going to get a mic so I can place it in a better position on the bike. When you yhink about it whenever the mic is in strong wind turbulence yhen iy's going to pick up noise. Then it's software that's needed to try to remove it , either in the cam or after editing.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 08:02:15 PM by Rodd »

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 08:44:13 PM »
If I'm going to shoot still pics with the Ghost then I mount the camera to the front of the bike using the suction cup that came with the camera. I've had it attached to the bike for a number of months now and it doesn't even look like becoming loose. I also have it tethered to the bike just in case. If I intend to shoot video then I attach the camera to the top of my helmet, not to the side of the helmet as most do, it probably looks a bit gawky sitting up top but I like the result from shooting the video from up high, I also have an external mic attached to the inside of my helmet.

I like Rodd's idea of mounting the camera to the police bracket and I'm very impressed with the quality of the video of the Ghost S, but I won't be selling my Ghost to upgrade to the S........too many other things I'd like to get my hands on first!! :grin

Sorry about the quality of the crappy photos but it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 09:46:41 PM »
Looks good, Couch. I haven't taken advantage of the higher frames rates yet. Still playing around with it and pressing the wrong buttons. I made a hand held extention pole today after seeing the GoPro one in a catalogue. I found an old extendable tarp pole and the spike in the end (that usually goes thru a tarp eyelet) just happened to be 1/4". So I removed it and replaced it with a cut down a 1/4" bolt and it works really well and allows me to do nice overhead (looking down) shots. I'm building different camera mounts and dollys to use in standing videos as well.

Offline Rodd

• Maryborough, QLD
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 07:47:20 PM »
Altered the Police light mount camera adapter today. I didn't like the camera laying on it's side with the LCD display in full sun, so I have added a vertical mount. That's my neighbours TIG welding, not mine. If it needs to look good then I ask him to do the welding.