Author Topic: New Member  (Read 3085 times)

Offline niceperson709

• ST Legend
Re: New Member
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2018, 11:23:07 AM »
Essentially you have to compress the spring that is under the black cover and then remove the collets that hold the center shaft into the UJ assembly I have seen pictures if it being done with a couple of pieces of Booker rod and bits of steel

Offline Ralphstboy

• ST Legend
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2018, 03:45:30 PM »
Thanks mate, it looks as if it all comes apart after removing the UJ, it appears there are two shock absorbers in the drive line, one inside the gearbox, I wonder if they grow when operating,
if they do the motor output shaft must protude a bit more then slide back to resting, if the do grow I will have to take it into account when making my drive shaft and leave room in the slip yoke, Joe.

Offline niceperson709

• ST Legend
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2018, 05:08:49 PM »
No need for a slip yoke as far as I can see That drive line shock absorber on the prop-shaft does not alter the total length of the shaft  The part that connects to the   universal can move backwards on its spine and the spring just keeps pushing back against it, I am just about to drop my engine from the frame and then I will be able to have a good look at the shaft in question and the more I think about It the more I would like to use the whole thing looking at the pictures and the manual it looks like the final drive end engages into an internally splined sleeve so if that can be made to fit into the end of my car driveshaft adjacent to my center bearing It might just do the trick all depends on lengths and how good that center bearing is... Because it would not hurt to have a bit more drive line shock absorption.   

Offline Ralphstboy

• ST Legend
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2018, 06:31:19 PM »
Thanks for tha, I can't quite get my head arround how the shock works without increasing in length, if the UJ is splined and the shock is splined that wouldn't work, there two in the drive line whereas the CX only had one in the gearbox.
My final drive is chain drive after the bevel box so that will be even more absorbsion, Joe.

Offline niceperson709

• ST Legend
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2018, 07:40:33 PM »
Its simple the piece the spring pushes against is splined and can slide on the shaft and at the front it transmits the torque the two Teeth engage in shaped sockets that allow for some axial  movement within the shaft but that does not vary its total length at all 

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2018, 08:41:40 PM »
I am pretty sure there is no oil in the shaft as well, just in the pineapple. The springs will just keep constant pressure on the shaft, that will allow the spline end to slip in and out of the output socket of the engine as the rear goes up and down. The movement will not be very much.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Ralphstboy

• ST Legend
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2018, 09:12:32 PM »
G'day Brock, I'm pretty sure the two dampers do just that, like when you select 1st gear, as I mentioned my final drive to the wheel is chain which is another damper , all will be revieled when I pull it down, Joe.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:33:51 PM by Ralphstboy »