Author Topic: Shiney’s 2013 Rally Ride Part 2 of 3  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
Shiney’s 2013 Rally Ride Part 2 of 3
« on: September 08, 2013, 11:44:47 PM »
Shiney’s 2013 Rally Ride
This is part 2 of a 3 part epic adventure

Part 2      The Rally
(aka: ANTS!)

Day Five
At The Rally

Woke up to discover the air mattress I was using had gone flat overnight so after greeting a few of the first arrivals and having a bite to eat up the road at a café Carrol and I headed into town to get a new air mattress.
This was also a great opportunity to ride around and explore the area a little :wink1

Anyhoo rode back and chatted with many great people, set up the new mattress and then headed to dinner at the tavern up the road.
I don’t think they were expecting so many of us and so we ended up taking over their function room.

Great dinner, great people and lots of laughs, then off to bed.

Day Six
At The Rally

Woke up to discover the air mattress... hadn’t gone down (Great start to the day)
Then had an awesome brekkie put on by the Lions Club, coffee, bacon, eggs, snags, toast… yeah it was great!

Then Stinky Pete told us all about the group ride he had prearranged for us to do :) Everyone finished up brekkie and got organised
And that’s when I discovered ANTS ! ! !

God I now hate ants!

When I was getting my gear ready for the ride I found that ants had decided to make a nest in my helmet during the night. (Damn ants)
So I removed the liners from the helmet and attempted to get the little buggers out.

Wow that took a long time, I was at it for ages, every time I thought I had got them all another one would crawl out of a vent or out from between the outer and inner shell. (Damn ants)
Well after about 30minutes of this I deciding I had either killed or removed them all from the helmet. So I put it all back together and got ready for the ride.

As we headed out of the caravan park there were Police blocking traffic for us (Now that was cool)

We rode all over the place, stopped at some great places and I found I had only missed a couple of ants. (Have I mentioned I dislike ants?)

One of our members decided to practice a bit of emergency parking :wink1
(right hand side of the following pic)

We had a wrong turn and had to all turn around…
(or as I like to think of it, we got to practice a group u-turn :grin)

But we made it to the Greenman Inn just before a spot of rain (great timing Pete) where we stopped for lunch.

After the rain stopped and we finished lunch the ride continued, there were some more great stops and roads to ride…

and we had the official photo taken by the OzSTOC photographer IanB (Great work as always mate)

Then it was back to the caravan park.

After the ride, when we returned to the caravan park where Carrol and I discovered the tent hadn’t been pegged down securely enough to deal with the gusty wind that had been blowing in at quite some speed. But luckily the great guys at the park had secured it for us. So we resecured the tent (properly this time), thanked the staff and hung around carrying on with everyone until dinner at the tavern.

The dinner was great, another good feed with lots of friends, laughs and carryon.
We had the awards going to very deserving people (and me)

Then we got to listen to a very informative guest speaker who told us all about the amazing area we found ourselves in. Then it was off to bed.

Day Seven
At The Rally

Another great start to the day with the Lions Club again providing a brilliant breakfast. After this Stinky Pete presented the Caravan Park and the Lions Club with a certificate each and some pressies as a thankyou.

A little later after saying goodbye to the people leaving for home, Pete again led some of us on another ride, we visited the Goolwa Motor Museum and got to check out some amazing cars

They even had a GO-GGO MOBILE :eek (G O G G O not the Dart)

Although they had the Dart too :grin

We then rode around to see some of the places the guest speaker from the night before had been telling us about.

When we got back to the caravan park Carrol and I decided that since a number of people had gone home we would live like kings in one of the cabins for the remainder of our stay.
Carrol decided to have an early night so I wandered over to the camp kitchen to catch up with the other people that didn’t want to leave.

We had some laughs and then off to bed.

Day Eight and Nine
After The Rally

This really felt like the end of the rally, the remaining people left leaving just Streak, Teela, Carrol and I staying on for a couple of days. After saying goodbye to everyone Carrol and I decided to tour around by ourselves.

We checked out Hahndorf and did the tourist thing for day eight and most of day nine. What an amazing place to tour around.

The only bad thing to happen was when we returned to the caravan park I dropped the bike on it’s side. (the side stand hit a stone and didn’t extend all the way down before I got off) Damn!
This wouldn’t have been so bad, but I had my highway wings extended and the left one broke completely off!
As you can imagine I wasn’t pleased about being “Winged” but I ordered a replacement and decided to focus on the good… the rest of the bike hadn’t been injured at all (Bonus)

Anyway, I finished day nine by dropping Carrol off at the airport and she headed home. Then it was back to camp for my last night before heading home.

2013 OzSTOC Rally As Seen From Shiney's STeed Day 5 to 9

Be sure to check out the next instalment:
Part 3      The Ride Home (aka: Riding Winged)
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
Re: Shiney’s 2013 Rally Ride Part 2 of 3
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 05:24:00 AM »
enjoyable read  :clap
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 06:30:07 AM »
Appreciate all your effort.   :thumbs

Those ant's did keep you busy for a while.   :rofl

So, waiting for Part 3.
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 08:30:25 AM »
Great illustrated account- the best kind.  It's good the way the on-board camera captures all those moments seen and remembered, but normally unable to be photographed.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 08:39:14 AM »
Good read thanks Dave  :thumb
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 08:49:59 AM »
Thanks for the great write-up Dave.   :clap
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline sargent

• Every days a new adventure
  • Legendary Member
  • ST Rider - Collector, NSW
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 09:10:04 AM »
 :popcorn :Chocies :Chocies :popcorn

These intermitions better not be too long..... :well

:crackup . Jeez cant wait for 2014 to roll around...
Robert - White ST1100P (they're just better)

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 07:03:56 PM »
Thanks guys :grin

As requested part 3 has been posted, I hope you all enjoy it as much as the first 2 :thumbsup

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)