Author Topic: Fish Creek Hotel RTE  (Read 1795 times)

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • 98 ST1100 Portland, SW Vic coastal.
Fish Creek Hotel RTE
« on: June 14, 2020, 12:07:10 PM »
I was out of bed , loaded and ready to tun at about 7 am, but as it was a tad chilly and still very dark I decided to wait an hour before rolling down the driveway. Hit the road around ten past eight am. Still a little chilly but bearable. Passed through Warrnambool at 9.30 and was still using the heated grips until Terang, where it was starting to look like a really decent day with only light to moderate traffic.

Really enjoyed the head space and the road freedom... until just short of Colac, where there were multiple instances of go slow road works, highway marking and multiple extended 40 kph limits which stretched almost all the way to Geelong. Lost around an hour of travel time.
Whoever would think that it would take an hour and three quarters to ride 70 km on a national hwy?

Hit the Westgate and down King Street to continue the Princes Hwy run in moderate traffic, refuelled at Lang Lang and then had a chance to run at Hwy speed and arrived at Rustys home around 2.45pm. Trip took roughly an hour longer than expected. Russ was washing and polishing his bike when I arrived.

Had a great meal, and we all retired by around 11pm.

We were up and mobile again at first light ... around 9.30, and headed towards Fish Creek at around 11.15am.
Interesting ride, some minor wiggly bits on the road to keep the mind active.

Most others were there when we arrived, except Nigel and Sarah, who arrived a little later.
Unloaded my top box, (which was jam-packed, excuse the pun) and passed on goodies to all.

We wandered inside and sorted out seating. Altho they stated that we were limited to 20 persons, they also allowed another ... 15? .. people into the dining area. Food was great, staff were very friendly, but table service was a little slow because of Covid restrictions which  slowed down things, but it was absolutely great to catch up with so many friends again. :hatwave

After the meal, photo time outside..

I left the venue around 2.35, will add details of trip home later.

(edited to add pics)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 12:59:51 PM by Kev Murphy »
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
Re: Fish Creek Hotel RTE
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 01:00:04 PM »
We were up and mobile again at first light ... around 9.30

I had a chuckle over that, Kev...I was actually up around 8am and had wandered in and made a cuppa for Sue & I. Also did a bit of a cleanup of the kitchen all while you were snoring away on the couch...  :rofl

I didn't have the heart to wake you early after your great effort in riding here!  :grin

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: Kev Murphy

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 01:04:47 PM »
I don't snore?

... I was PURRING!  :rofl :rofl

(Its contagious, I caught it from my cats.)
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

The following users thanked this post: STroppy, ruSTynutz

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 03:48:50 PM »
 :rofl

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: STroppy

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 03:53:13 PM »
Thats my story, and I'm stickin' to it!  :grin
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 03:54:39 PM »
Continued ....

The long way home...

Had a good run back to the city, with a couple rest stops to answer phone and have a little filtered country air...

Gordo, was that you that passed me at one of those stops? (exchanged waves)

Traffic was moderately heavy through the city until I hit the Westgate. Exited the bridge for the comfortable run (I thought) to visit my old army buddy at Hoppers Crossing ... except that the traffic from the bridge onto Geelong Road was at a complete standstill.
It took more than an hour just to reach the first exit from Brooklyn to Dohertys Road which is only about 3 Km.

I dropped in to catch up with my mate at Hoppers, stayed and chatted for a bit less than an hour, and headed out.
Decided to avoid the Geelong freeway parking lot, so headed for Ballarat and then Colac, which effectively avoided the 40k speed restrictions from Geelong to Colac.

It started to sprinkle as I left Colac and very gusty winds buffeting the bike around so I put on my wet gear. The rain slowly increased the further west I travelled, and visibility was affected so I dropped from Hwy speed back to around 80k, seems that every dimple on the road was a puddle, and every time I hit one, the water pounded the top of my boots and trickled inside. Didnt help much that every truck heading the other way showered me with their slipstream, and every car that passed me lifted spray from the road in my face.

Had a rest stop at Terang, and popped into a jumper under the wets as the wind had a bit of a bite to it.
Not much traffic at that time, people had decided to get off the road. Maybe I should have followed suit?

The rain increased as I approached Warrnambool with low visibility forcing slower travel again. Was down to around 70/75k and having difficulty in seeing the lane markings. By the time I left Warrnambool, it was really pelting down, there was around 10mm fell in the final hour till I reached home at around 11.20pm. The last 40 km into Portland I was cruising at 50k because of poor visibility.
Naturally, 15 minutes after I walked in the door, the rain ceased, and was heading further east still.

Final distance covered for Friday / Saturday was around 1160 Km, speedo passed 183,000 just a few minutes before I reached Fish Creek for lunch.

Whacked the heater on and fed the cats, then took a hot shower, much more refreshing than the past 4 hours of chilly wet stuff.

Really enjoyed catching up with everyone, great stuff after being closed in for so long. Loved the food at the hotel, WAY more on the plate than I could eat, friendly staff there were a joy to speak with, and I am looking fwd to our next catch-up, whenever that may be..

Didn't bother to unpack my bike until this morning, The rain started coming down again here just after midday today, around another 4mm in the past 3 hours. It's nicer to be inside listening to it, than out on the road wearing it.

0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 06:28:57 PM »
 :rockon a typical Victorian day by the sounds of it.  But then you victorians get our used south Aussie weather.     It was still good to get back on the bikes again
Richo

Offline denis gibson

• ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 06:37:40 PM »
Good on you KEV, Great to catch up and thanks for package. Good to see you home safely as we all worry about night riding young ones. Denis Diane.

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 10:06:19 AM »
... Unloaded my top box, (which was jam-packed, excuse the pun) and passed on goodies to all...

Mmmm ... fresh stawberry jam on hotbuttered crumpets this morning ... really yummy.  Thank you from Helen and me.

We arrived home late yesterday after a leisurely drive from Fish Creek to Cowes, overnight and then another leisurely drive througn the rolling hills from Wonthaggi to Drouin, and then home via the PHE.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 11:08:55 AM »
Many thanks to YOU, Michael, for organising the meeting. :thumbsup
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 03:04:40 PM »
We arrived home late yesterday after a leisurely drive from Fish Creek to Cowes, overnight and then another leisurely drive througn the rolling hills from Wonthaggi to Drouin, and then home via the PHE.

Did you see that "big rock" on the side of the road on your travels, Michael?  :whistle :grin

Oh, and you both could have called in for a cuppa...  :thumbs

That actually goes for any of our other members too, by the way... :grin

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 07:39:52 PM »
Did you see that "big rock" on the side of the road on your travels, Michael?

No, but found this one.

The location of which, we'll keep secret for now.

Oh, and you both could have called in for a cuppa.

That actually goes for any of our other members too, by the way.

Next time, perhaps.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2020, 10:08:43 PM »
Did you see that "big rock" on the side of the road on your travels, Michael?

No, but found this one.

The location of which, we'll keep secret for now.

Oh, and you both could have called in for a cuppa.

That actually goes for any of our other members too, by the way.

Next time, perhaps.

Ah, I know that one well, Michael... :thumb

2005 Honda ST1300A