Author Topic: Two Terrific Weeks in Tassie  (Read 18536 times)

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
Re: Two Terrific Weeks in Tassie
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 10:32:53 AM »
This has sharpened my appetite for my own (4th on a bike) trip to Tassie at the end of this year.
If you're going in the end of October around the 22nd, I'll see you there

Afraid not.     We're leaving after Christmas and will be in Hobart for the arrival of the Sydney-Hobart.   :grin
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 12:07:44 PM »

Is this the corner I see in all those car ads???

Dunno!  Which ads are those?

Great write-up, and I'm hanging out for the next installment.    :popcorn :popcorn
This has sharpened my appetite for my own (4th on a bike) trip to Tassie at the end of this year.

The best is yet to to come.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 03:20:53 PM »
Never mind Marcus, if you're very lucky you might see me :crackup
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Online Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 03:52:57 PM »
Never mind Marcus, if you're very lucky you might see me :crackup

Well, clearly I was coming to your place. :p

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 07:53:04 PM »
Good stuff!! :hatwave
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 08:06:18 PM »
Day 9 - Monday 10 March - Lake Leak to Georgetown to Launceston to Bothwell

Today's route was something like this:

Phil was longing for a feed of crayfish so we headed for George Town for lunch.  Up the East Tamar Highway - what an impressive bit of four lane divided highway that is in parts, not much traffic on the road, not sure why they would build it like that - probably some politicians in the neighbourhood?

Found a pub George Town:

The pub had a pretty good looking seafood menu, Phil ordered "the crayfish", only to be told that they didn't have any ..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, no crayfish in a seaside pub!!!!

Disappointed we headed up the highway to cross the Tamar River on the Batman Bridge:

Yeah, must be pollies in the area.

Took a wrong turn, and then a U-turn tried to get lost, we kept going (had to get Helen to the airport).

Drop Helen at airport, head for Bothwell via Poatina.

Hmmmmm......that climb up to the tablelands, must do that again - without the trailer, and those switch-backs - oh yeah!!

Yikes!!!  15km/h - yep they mean it, scary at speed with the trailer going down, okay goung up.

Overnight at the Council camp ground ($10.00 per night for two) just a short walk to the pub.

Pity it was closed - no meal, no beers. We walked around town - one street north and one street west we found another licensed establishment.  I mention this in case any others are desperate for a beer, my suggestion is stay thirsty and avoid this "place".

It was at Bothwell that the Mighty ST had its second nap.  It just fell over onto its right side after we stopped and I got off.  No damage.

Day 10 - Tuesday 11 March - Bothwell to Maydena to Gordon Dam to Maydena

Today's route was something likes this:

Early start, walk to general store to pay $10.00 camp fee (honour system, pay in AM if no one there in the previous PM), collect shower key, return key to general store, get some supplies at store, chat to some knarly adventurers on sports bikes, onwards to Hamilton.  On the way we rode through some undulating terrain, twisting roads, tiny towns and great views.

Hollow Tree:

Didn't stop at Hamilton for a coffee as planned, the place was full of lyca-clad pushie riders, support crews and long queues.

At Maydena we found my mate's holiday cottage, parked the camper behind the garage and headed for Strathgordon. Took some pics on the way.

Coffee and cake at Strathgordon. Our host was a bit grumpy, but the coffee was okay and the CAKE was worth the ride. The cake was a freshly baked apple crumble with fresh whipped cream (very worthwhile ordering next time). Stuck our head in the kitchen to thank the Chef, who turned out to be a young Indian fellow - Strathgordon / superb apple crumble / Indian chef, that's not an every day trifecta.

Onwards again and a few more pics.

At the Gordon Dam:

Grumpy:

Happy:

On the way back to Maydena:

Then back to Maydena.

The ride to and from the Gordon Dam unencumbered by the bulk of the camper trailer allowed the Mighty ST1300 to really show its potential, fast straights (I reckon a bloke braver than me could easily see 200km/h or more), sweeping corners, tight corners.

At Maydena the accommodation was very comfortable indeed, two double bedrooms, a twin bedroom, large kitchen and a large eating / lounge area, undercover parking - all for $0.00 per night per head.   There's room for some friends next trip. 

Free booze too, let me know when you are visiting this part of Tassie again, I'll check with my mate to see if it's available, and I'll let you know where he keeps the key to the cupboards with all of their personal gear - including the booze.
 :beer :beer

Offline ST.George

• ST.George and his ST1300 Red Dragon (Wyvern)
  • Legendary Member
  • DIY not DYI(Do Yourself In) "The Gong"Southern NSW
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2014, 07:45:27 AM »
What a great write-up with coffee-table quality photography. Thanks very much.

Two questions: Is this white rock some kind of chalk?

Secondly, no photos of rain? Are you telling us you escaped the rain? Is that possible in the Apple Isle?

Anyway, Michael, congrats on a great trip around amazing Tassie.
:beer Cheers :beer Gregory
:rd13   Best Bred is Red   :rd13
"Spock - there's a black hole on the other side of Uranus".
"Illogical Captain".
I think I might be indecisive, I'm not sure, maybe - maybe not.
Yamaha TX500; Yamaha DT360; BMW 650 Boxer; 2003 ST1300 Red Dragon

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 08:05:24 PM »
What a great write-up with coffee-table quality photography. Thanks very much.

Two questions: Is this white rock some kind of chalk?

Secondly, no photos of rain? Are you telling us you escaped the rain? Is that possible in the Apple Isle?

Anyway, Michael, congrats on a great trip around amazing Tassie.

Some answers are in earlier posts .....

...... the Blackberry is a crap 'phone, but a good camera......

Most of the pics were taken on my Blackberry, some were taken by Philon his digital camera - the good ones are mine.
Day 8 - Sunday 9 March
...... Between the coast road and Mount Elephant and then St Mary we struck the first and only rain (well that I can remember) for the two weeks. Not much rain but enough for the wet weather gear to be put on, and to spoil the Elephants Pass ride......

Yep! Only rain for the whole trip.  Tassie was hot for the two weeks, only cold nightswere at Lake Leake.

Chalk on the rock - you are asking the wrong bloke.  Someone will know better than me.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 11:14:15 PM »
For those who don't know, Tasmania doesn't have the rain that most people think it has, Hobart is the second driest city in Australia, second only to Adelaide, Google it if you find that hard to believe. I moved down to Tassie from Brisbane six years ago and because we live in a rural area we rely on tank water, I've had to buy water on seven occasions during those six years, 3000 gallons each time, because we don't get sufficient rain to fill the tanks, and we're very careful with how much water we use. I think they get a bit more rain on the western side of the state, but on the eastern side we usually only get light rain for very short periods, and I've never seen rain here like we used to get in good old "sunny" Queensland.:grin

Online STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 07:18:16 AM »
The West is normally the wetest but only certain times of the year . . From memory February is usually the wetest month and yet the only rain you encountered was on the East coast . . .

How did the 1300 cope with the extra weight of the Elite? Pretty much most of the time, you wouldn't even notice my Classic trailer was there and the only change in speed is in the wet thru the twisties . . .
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2014, 09:09:57 AM »
Great report. I was only just there on the east coast and north-west roads, in a car unfortunately.  It is even better than the pictures suggest.  I also found some of that missing rain near Cradle Mountain as 26mm fell that day and I went through the cloud and rain with near zero visibility.

I now have great ideas about roads to redo and others to try out.

As for apple trees, growers were paid to pull them out as when the UK joined the EU the market was lost.  may be more in the future as cider is really taking off.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2014, 09:39:30 AM »
There are still plenty of apple (and pear) orchards in Tassie, we have a few very near to where we live.......usually pay $3.00 for a 3kg bag.  Also some unbelievable cherry orchards with the largest yummiest cherries you've ever seen. :grin

Offline ST.George

• ST.George and his ST1300 Red Dragon (Wyvern)
  • Legendary Member
  • DIY not DYI(Do Yourself In) "The Gong"Southern NSW
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2014, 02:21:06 PM »

• quote from Couch:
    For those who don't know, Tasmania doesn't have the rain that most people think it has, Hobart is the second driest city in Australia, second only to Adelaide, Google it if you find that hard to believe.

Sorry Couch, my brain gets befuddled at times coz I was confusing Tassie with north Qld. I know that sounds stupid but I am the first to admit I'm a dolt at times. When Terese and I were in Tassie some twenty odd years ago it didn't rain once in the two weeks we were there. We had a ball and it never occurred to me at the time that Tassie is so suited to motorcycles. I'd sold my boxer Beemer after relocating to the Gong and completely forgot about riding until about twenty years later when I was eligible to use my super to rekindle my motorcycling adventures. So now that I have one of the best bikes on the planet I am thinking of how I can get down there again. BTW r u "Couch" as in grass or "Couch" as in sofa. I'm guessing the latter.
     :hatwave
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 02:31:02 PM by ST.George »
:beer Cheers :beer Gregory
:rd13   Best Bred is Red   :rd13
"Spock - there's a black hole on the other side of Uranus".
"Illogical Captain".
I think I might be indecisive, I'm not sure, maybe - maybe not.
Yamaha TX500; Yamaha DT360; BMW 650 Boxer; 2003 ST1300 Red Dragon

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2014, 02:48:16 PM »
"Couch" as in grass or "Couch" as in sofa

Nope, its grass..

Have a look in the "How did you get your name" thread

o:) o:)
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2014, 07:44:09 PM »
Ha ha!   I'm afraid Brock's correct........and I'm still getting over the name change from "Tazzie Baz" :cuss

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2014, 08:10:41 PM »

.....How did the 1300 cope with the extra weight of the Elite? Pretty much most of the time, you wouldn't even notice my Classic trailer was there and the only change in speed is in the wet thru the twisties . . .

There's not that much difference in weight.  Whilst the Elite is heavier than the Classic, I don't take as much in the Elite.  The Tassie trip with the Elite but without Mrs W (most of the time) I was touring with less weight than when towing the classic and Mrs W in riding pillion.

Initially the ST1300 doesn't seem to cope as well as the CB1300, but after towing the Elite for over 4,000km now I'm getting use to it.   The ST's 86kw (is that correct?) doesn't seem to pull as well as the CB's 74kw.  I put this down to the different gearing and my riding technique.

The gearing? 

The CB's 5th gear is around the same as the ST's 4th gear.  Towing my previous Classic trailer and the now Elite camper, I could just about leave the CB in 5th gear all day, some hills would require a shift down to 4th gear, and very rarely 3rd gear.

If I am going to keep the same pace on the ST, I would need to travel most of the day in 4th gear, some hills in 3rd gear and frequently back to 2nd gear.  On some of those 15km/h switchbacks near Poatina, I even needed 1st gear.

My technique?

Well I'm not going to tour all in 4th gear, 5th is better for touring, less engine stress, better fuel consumption, but I've gotta plan ahead a bit more and be ready earlier to change down.  Sometimes when I left the change down until too late, I've gotta go from 5th to 4th and then 3rd if I'm gunna keep up the pace.

I am getting better ......

The big improvement is less fuel consumed on the ST.  I put this down to the taller gearing and the full fairing.

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2014, 10:26:11 PM »
I've ridden the Poatina road and you have to be precise with your gear changing on more than one of those bends whether you're towing a trailer or not, if you were to hit one in 3rd gear and then have to change down midway, then you better make it mighty quick, or you're likely to come to a stop before you get the chance to get going again, and if you do, there's only one way you're going to go!! :eek  I go into them in 2nd gear, and with the greatest care! :grin

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2014, 08:08:52 PM »
.... Poatina road .....

I could ride that again and again and again and ...........

Day 11 - Wednesday 12 March - Maydena to Ida Bay to Adventure Bay

Today's route was something like this:

A bit of overnight rain or heavy dew had left the road wet for a while and as we passed through a few small towns.

National Park

Westerway

Then a leisurely ride along the Derwent Valley, avoided Hobart peak hour traffic.  A fantastic climb into the hills (Tollmans Hill?) heading south out of Hobart, slip the Mighty ST1300 into 3rd gear, give the throttle a decent twist and hang on, even with the Elite camper - oh yeah!!!  That Flying Coffin, the Behemoth, the GXS1400 was just a spec in the mirror.

First stop Kingston, wasted an hour looking for my designer prescription specs (if anyone finds them, please post them to Locked Bag 1, Bundoora MDC 3083 collect, please).  Continued down Huon Highway via Huonville, Geeveston and Dover.

Lunch at Dover at the Post Office Café:

Post Office, Take Away Bottle Sales, Woodfired Pizza, Café, Bar & Grill - sounds like my type of Post Office, pity they don't offer any mail or postal service.

The seafood basket would be worthwhile stopping for next time in Dover.

The ride continued on to Southport:

And my new screen saver:

Ida Bay:

An old railway carriageway:

Did you check the rear?  Here's a better view:
V\
Oh dear, even the Taswegians are being stalked .......

Turned around and headed north. By the time these knarly adventurers reached Franklin they were tired and weary, a pick-me-up was needed, so they stopped like all tough knarly bikkie adenturers do, they stopped for a ......
Pot-of-Tea.

Pssst ...... just don't tell anyone on ADVRider.

Shyte, it's getting late, we better get going if we are gonna get the ferry at Kettering and set-up camp at Endeavour Bay before it gets dark, better hurry then .......

Whilst waiting for the ferry:

Next stop Endeavour Adventure Bay caravan park and camping ground.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 08:08:41 AM by Williamson »

Offline Carsten

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Carsten
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2014, 12:28:12 AM »
Is that Endeavour Bay or Adventure Bay on Bruny Island?
Great piccies, a taste of the Tour de Tassie.

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2014, 08:10:26 AM »
Is that Endeavour Bay or Adventure Bay on Bruny Island?
Great piccies, a taste of the Tour de Tassie.

Good skills.

Errrrr!  Adventure Bay.   

Fixed in post.

Online STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2014, 08:41:24 AM »
Ulysses AGM in Launceston in 2016 . . . . .
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2014, 09:23:17 PM »
Ulysses AGM in Launceston in 2016 . . . . .

Mmmmm, can't wait, planning my next Tassie trip around the AGM in 2016.  I reckon I won't be the only one spending a week before or after touring, touring, touring ......

Anyway, back to reality and continue this report ......

Day 12 - Thursday 13 March - Adventure Bay to Bicheno

Yawn! ....... something like this:

It's at this stage I mention that some of my pre-ride arrangements are starting come unstuck ..... I had planned to visit Nubeena to have a coffee and cake with Couch.  But it was the night before when I realised that we seemed to be running out of time and the revised plan was to head straight from Hobart to Bicheno.  So I call Couch and say I wont be visiting, perhaps next time - in two years, sorry mate!!

By the time I realised that the route Phil was leading (yes the GSX1400 finally managed to lead the ST1300) us on was only 25km from Nubeena, well it was too late. 

Next time ...... >:()

Anyway, back to today's ride.  Early start, don't want to miss the ferry. But pics will need to be picced.

On the isthmus, before we leave Bruny:

Great Bay:

Waiting for the ferry:

On the ferry:

Then via Margate, Kingston, Hobart, Sorell and lunch at Dunalley. Whilst we were waiting for what turned out at the best six deep fried battered scallops for $10.00 ever, and truckie parked his truck.

Hmmmm ...... don't think he's earned his navy blue singlet.

Eaglehawk Neck:

Turned around again, headed north.

Mt Wellington in far background:

Freedom camping in the paddock beside the Dunalley Hotel:

Then to Bicheno for the night.

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2014, 09:27:40 PM »
Day 13 - Friday 14 March - Bicheno to Gladstone to Devonport
.... something like this:

The Tasman Highway from Bicheno to St Helens was a good as ever, gentle undulations, tight curve, sweeping corners, great view, some traffic, plenty of overtaking opportunities (even with the camper).

Big Fisherman's Breakfast and pot-of-tea at St Helens Bakery, good friendly service - it's the breakfast spot in St Helens.

It was just after St Helens that the Mighty GSX1400 finally cleared its throat, or Phil had finally found top gear, and it and rider disappeared in a vapour trail ahead of me. Couldn't catch them for around 50km at the turn-off to Gladstone.

Turned off at went via South Mt Cameron:

Then via Gladstone and some nasty gravel road on the way to Bridport.

I didn't know that Tasmania had such a long straight road.  Anyway we found it and it was bloody gravel!!!

Lunch at Bridport where we me a NZ couple spending a couple of days touring the north on a couple of rental bikes.   A friendly chatty pair, spoke Phil's native tongue, I couldn't understand, may as well as left my earplugs in, perhaps I did ........

The old chick in tourist centre asked if I gonna go back one day.  Sadly I don't think she'll be there when I return.
From Google Streetview:

The best road in Bridport:

No, that's not fair. Bridport looks like a nice place. I'll have to take Mrs W there and spend a week, one weekend.

We then headed west and took a few back roads, tried as best we could to get lost and miss the ferry, but alas we found ourselves in a sea of asphalt called a waiting area in East Devonport.

Board ferry, check in, find bar, start drinking ........ oh dear, might as well finish the holiday the way it started.

Day 14 - Saturday 15 March - Port Melbourne to St Helena

Didn't sleep too well, might have been the rough seas, might have been a dirty glass - I mean what's the chance that could all of the 20 beer glasses (that they served up to me) clean?

Home by around 8:00am for a good day's sleep.

What a great two weeks - travelled over 4,400km, just over 3,500km on the Mighty ST 1300 and 900km on the ferry. 

Overall fuel consumption was around 6 litres per 100km.  This was much better than previous trips on the CB1300 towing the lighter and more aerodynamic Classic trailer. 

The Mighty ST1300 ........  :rockon 

The ST has now done around 11,000km, half of this has been towing the Elite camper trailer on the OEM rear Bridgestone and is now is shot, kaput, expired.   Some of you may re-call that this Bridgestone was new at around 1,450km after five rope plugs couldn't save it after it got a large sharp piece of blue-metal in it on the first big ride.

So that's it after around 9,500km.  Are the original OEM Bridgestones that bad, or do I need to slow down towing the camper?

Online Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2014, 07:53:53 AM »
What an awesome adventure thanks for sharing, I was planning on going to Bridport, people tell me its pretty... hmmm

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2014, 08:51:55 AM »
What an epic adventure, thanks for sharing it with us :hatwave
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)