Author Topic: How Murmurations of Birds Work  (Read 821 times)

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
How Murmurations of Birds Work
« on: April 28, 2020, 04:10:55 PM »
Have you ever seen huge flocks of birds, flying and swirling in sync, a group peeling off, and then reuniting with the flock again.   These huge swirling masses of birds are called Murmurations, and are a true marvel and wonder to be seen.    On several occasions I've seen murmurations of budgies out in the outback, which from a distance have looked like swirling clouds of smoke, and it gladdens my heart to have seen them.   How do they do it, and is there some kind of telephathy happening between the birds, as they act like a single organism?    Today I stumbled across a sensible theory of what's going on, and it's supported by what's called "Boids Algorithm".

Each bird is flying according to three really simple rules, and combine these three and you have a murmuration.
1.  Fly towards the centre of the mass of birds
2.  Avoid crashes with other birds
3.  Try to match vectors with other birds in your immediate vicinity

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LWmRuB-uNU&t=343s for some images, theory, information and simulations.

Isn't nature grand......  ++
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 04:33:03 PM by StinkyPete »
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

The following users thanked this post: Biggles, Jdbiker

Re: How Murmurations of Birds Work
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 04:13:12 PM »
Tomorrow's homework is to find out the term for the huge schools of fish that also tend to turn in unison.    :whistle

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: How Murmurations of Birds Work
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 05:58:07 PM »
I've seen the murmurations of Starlings in the UK.  That dynamic still doesn't explain the apparent random changes in direction.  Maybe the guy at the centre is the Air Traffic Controller and he just enjoys watching everyone have to brake to match his movements.
I wonder if schools of fish just travel in relatively straight lines until a predator comes by when they then form a ball all trying to get away from the edge.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927