Author Topic: Classic Industries Towbar Fitting/Wiring Instructions - ST1300  (Read 6219 times)

Offline STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
I need to fit a Classic Industries towbar to my ST1300 and, while I can work it out, I would like a copy of Classic Industries Instructions - anyone able to copy and post here please?
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Online Lionel

• Legendary Member
Re: Classic Industries Towbar Fitting/Wiring Instructions - ST1300
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 12:13:10 PM »
I don't have the instructions but you're welcome to go to my place to check out my installation.
Telephone David in the afternoon to arrange a time if you want.
I won't be back for a couple of weeks.

Offline Gavo

• Double STowner no longer only an 04 ST 1300A
  • Legendary Member
  • Hoddys Well Toodyay WA
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 02:53:18 PM »

A big thanks to Mitch  ++

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:06:43 PM by Gavo »
Rob
Undercover HVAC Tech
All round nice guy so i believe
Also have now been told !

"We are all in it together"  Harry Tuttle.

STOC #8508
FR#601 

:blu13

Offline STroppy

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 05:43:44 PM »
Thanks Lionel, I won't be fitting before Ballarat/Adelaide, and Rob has posted the Classic instructions, thanks Rob very much appreciated.

I might go and have a look at your installation Lionel once we are all back from our travels.

Cheers

Terry
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 08:05:34 PM »
The "hardest" part is cutting the slot in the rear guard for the support bracket on each side. Removal of the plastic around the rear isn't too hard, but can be fiddle-ley.

Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline Pezzz

• NR2016 Group
  • ST1100 Rider
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 11:52:55 PM »
The "hardest" part is cutting the slot in the rear guard for the support bracket on each side. Removal of the plastic around the rear isn't too hard, but can be fiddle-ley.

I did mine on the 1100 without having to remove any plastic and to make the holes for the uprights I used a chisel ..... ;-*
Pezzz
:wht11
FarRider # 730

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
ST1300 Tow Hitch Fitting Instructions
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 09:18:28 AM »
An old thread, but related ....

Can anyone help out with a set of fitting instructions for a Classic ST1300 tow hitch, please?  I've emailed Classic, but thought someone 'ere may be able to assist.

I thought this would be a simple jobby, just a duplication of the old UniGo hitch (oh why did I ever sell it?), but alas a number of differences, and from I can work out, the Classic hitch may need to modifications to the ST.  So before I venture down that path, some instructions would assist. 

No instructions?  Perhaps even some pics of the mounting points sans the side panniers may assist,  Pics taken from all or any angle if you can, please.

Of course, if anyone wants a lunch, a beer (or whatever) and makes a visit to provide some even more practical assistance, would have my un-ending appreciation.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 09:26:44 AM by Williamson »
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Offline STroppy

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 12:11:42 PM »
I’m in Adelaide until Wednesday, if you don’t have pics by then, I’ll send you some! I don’t think it was a very big job, just a slit in the black plastic, I think, or was that the 1100  .. . .

The following users thanked this post: Williamson

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 01:16:24 PM »
I’m in Adelaide until Wednesday, if you don’t have pics by then, I’ll send you some! I don’t think it was a very big job ...

Thanks Terry, I have heard from Brock, he steered me to this thread. No rush, I was gunna fit it this weekend, but any weekend will do, and after a few weeks when I'll be on 12 months holiday, and week day will do.

... just a slit in the black plastic, I think ...

A slit both sides of the black plastic of the inner guard would seem to tally with my thoughts, but I would like to be sure.  I suspect this would also require removal of quite a bit of rear plastics to get to the bolts to mount the top of the "T's".

Offline STroppy

• RTE Coordinator
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 01:28:31 PM »
I think I just those bolts out and slid the brackets into place, no need to remove any of the Tupperware.

Offline PC

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 02:45:49 PM »
To fit my classic tow bar I had to remove the top box mount to be able to remove the grab rails as the top mounts of the tow bar sat on top of the frame and the grab rail bolts went down through and bolted them in place
Yes you will need to cut a slit in the inner guard to allow the hangers to drop through
I did remove rear Mudgard fo easier access to wiring

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 05:43:30 PM »
To fit my classic tow bar I had to remove the top box mount to be able to remove the grab rails as the top mounts of the tow bar sat on top of the frame and the grab rail bolts went down through and bolted them in place
Yes you will need to cut a slit in the inner guard to allow the hangers to drop through
I did remove rear Mudgard fo easier access to wiring

:thumbs

Mmmm .. I think I've got enough info now to progress with the fitting, I'll get back down to the garage tomorrow and a ferret around, see what can be done.

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 07:26:30 PM »
If I may be a litttle more self-indulging, can I ask:
  • I'd still like some clearer pick (the pics in Gavo's post haven't aged well),
  • I'm particulary interested to see into which hole on the main tow frame (terminology used in the Classic instructions) you have mounted the lower end of the hanger strap - I hoping the rear most hole (as per the Classic pic), as this would (I think) be the most sturdy.  I ask this because I couldn't do this with the Classic Hitch on the CB1300a few years back.  Time will tell anyway.

Offline West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 10:07:27 PM »
From what I have seen the worst part is where to pick up the wiring connections.
I am getting ready to install some extra lights on the rear of my 1300. Plan is to pick up trigger signals from the quartet harness or its socket for left and right hand blinkers as well as a switched power supply to use for tail lights. I will then pick up a brake signal from one of the brake switches. These signals will then go to a Kuryakyn trailer wiring harness like this one:-
  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kuryakyn-7673-Plug-Play-Trailer-Wiring-Relay-Harness-Honda-Goldwing-01-10-GL18/124129856800?epid=171206255&hash=item1ce6b74d20:g:cn8AAOSwdsFeqtPr
It has a single module which has solid state relays for stop, tail and left and right hand blinkers. It has its own power lead from the battery as well as one a general power supply for the trailer.
I fitted one of these to my sidecar for the sidecar lights, lucky I could get a plug and play to fit the GL1500, none available for the 1300.
More expensive then four relays but very tidy and doesn't add any real load to the existing bike wiring.
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline PC

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 07:42:09 AM »
If I may be a litttle more self-indulging, can I ask:
  • I'd still like some clearer pick (the pics in Gavo's post haven't aged well),
  • I'm particulary interested to see into which hole on the main tow frame (terminology used in the Classic instructions) you have mounted the lower end of the hanger strap - I hoping the rear most hole (as per the Classic pic), as this would (I think) be the most sturdy.  I ask this because I couldn't do this with the Classic Hitch on the CB1300a few years back.  Time will tell anyway.
You use those holes to adjust the height of your tow ball I have mine in the second hole from the rear to get the height of my tow ball near centre of rear axel
The theory is if to ball is above or below axel centre  the trailer can push or pull the bike down when cornering
In saying that the wheel moves up and down so I think it is just an average  My trailer sits quite level when hitched up which is what I was wanting to achieve more so then axel centre

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2020, 10:04:17 AM »
You use those holes to adjust the height of your tow ball I have mine in the second hole from the rear to get the height of my tow ball near centre of rear axel
The theory is if to ball is above or below axel centre  the trailer can push or pull the bike down when cornering
In saying that the wheel moves up and down so I think it is just an average  My trailer sits quite level when hitched up which is what I was wanting to achieve more so then axel centre
Yeah, I've just finished with the installation, used the holes second from the rear, height looks okay, but I'll check the height and angle relative to the bike when I'm finished.  And another but ... the sometimes is another but (and sometimes that's a big hairy butt), but I'm a little disappointed about how far it sticks out the rear, it's about 150mm from the rear tyre.

Offline PC

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2020, 11:03:28 AM »
[quote author=Williamson link=topic=6531.msg1281086#msg1281086 date=1607213057, but I'm a little disappointed about how far it sticks out the rear, it's about 150mm from the rear tyre.
[/quote]
Yep that about right . If mine was any closer to the wheel the trailer hitch would foul on the rear mudguard

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2020, 03:23:57 PM »
... but I'm a little disappointed about how far it sticks out the rear, it's about 150mm from the rear tyre.

Yep that about right . If mine was any closer to the wheel the trailer hitch would foul on the rear mudguard

Yeah, that is right, when I get the rear mudguard on it doesn't look ungainly.

As I was getting the mudguard on I noticed that with the lower end of the hanger straps set at the second hole from the rear the hanger straps, they didn't adequately clear the mudguard, had to reset them on the third hole from the rear.

With the mudguard off, there were only a few extra screws too loosen to take off the rear light assembly, then much easier to access the rear wiring.   When reassembling everything don't forget to re-install the light assembly before you re-install the grab rail.  If you don't you have to remove and re-install the grab rail - d'oh!

Anyhow, brake, tail and indicator wires piggy-backed and ready to connect into the wiring loom on the tow hitch, perhaps a job for another weekend or day off.       

Offline PC

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2020, 09:15:40 PM »
... but I'm a little disappointed about how far it sticks out the rear, it's about 150mm from the rear tyre.

Yeah, that is right, when I get the rear mudguard on it doesn't look ungainly.

As I was getting the mudguard on I noticed that with the lower end of the hanger straps set at the second hole from the rear the hanger straps, they didn't adequately clear the mudguard, had to reset them on the third hole from the rear.

With the mudguard off, there were only a few extra screws too loosen to take off the rear light assembly, then much easier to access the rear wiring.   When reassembling everything don't forget to re-install the light assembly before you re-install the grab rail.  If you don't you have to remove and re-install the grab rail - d'oh!

Anyhow, brake, tail and indicator wires piggy-backed and ready to connect into the wiring loom on the tow hitch, perhaps a job for another weekend or day off.     
Good to see it all came together  enjoy towing  :thumb