Author Topic: Clutch Riding  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
Clutch Riding
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:37:24 PM »
Seeking advise on using the clutch on the ST1100. I normally slip the clutch in traffic to control speed and braking as I was told it wasn't an issue with a wet clutch. I have 90,000kms on the clock and my master cylinder has gone on the clutch. Questions:- Is this normal wear and tear? Am I wrong to constantly slip the clutch? Or is it just my dumb luck? As far as I know the bike has always had is regular log book services.
Thanks,
Adrian.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
Re: Clutch Riding
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 01:43:10 PM »
I normally slip the clutch in traffic to control speed and braking

I do this as well... especially in traffic. I don't think you ride in traffic without doing it

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 04:14:51 PM »
Agreed.     When riding very slowly I was taught to slip the clutch and control my speed with the foot brake.  This action prevents driveline snatch and gives you fine control over speed.   I can't see that clutch slipping would have any effect on master cylinder wear and tear, but not regularly bleeding and changing clutch (and brake) fluid could lead to cylinder problems caused by to contaminants in the fluid.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 08:55:05 AM »
Mornin' Adrian et at...

Questions:- Is this normal wear and tear? Am I wrong to constantly slip the clutch? Or is it just my dumb luck? As far as I know the bike has always had is regular log book services.

...like the others comments slipping the clutch at low speeds is general considered as good practice for optimum bike control. So l too 'ride' the clutch when approaching stale reds at contolled intersections.

Does this speed up clutch plate wear? Yes. It's not uncommon to have ST clutches knackered on emergency use ST's at 40k. As for your master cylinder to be affected by riding the clutch, l would think not.

I would think that (either), master cylinder (or slave cylinder), failures would be more likely be down to not regularly replacing the fluid. Brake fluid is hyrdoscopic. It is not uncommon (I have found), subtantial water and muck residue at the bottom of the fluid reseviors. And usually more so in the clutch than the brake systems as the is less plumbing therefore less space for water to dispurse too.

If you find you are in need to put new cups etc into the master cylinder, look also to do the same with the slave cylinder. However, be prepared to having to replace the whole cylinder assemble as the cylinder itself may have been corroded. Unless of course you can re-sleeve it.

Lastly, use the fluid replacement in the OEM maintenance manual as a guide, as increased humidity environments generally neseccitated increased fluid replacement schedules. Same applies if the bike spends some time in the rain.

Just a thought.

Ciao, the can:-)

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 10:42:58 AM »
I normally slip the clutch in traffic to control speed and braking

I do this as well... especially in traffic. I don't think you ride in traffic without doing it

Yep - My thoughts too :wink1
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 05:44:29 PM »
Agree with Greencan.  As far as I know my bike has the original clutch plates and seals in the master and slave cylinder (207,000kms). But I change the fluid at least every 12 months.  I know that being stuck in slow moving stop start traffic for an hour or so up a steep hill does make the clutch start to feel as if it not going to disengage.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »
Evenin' All...

Yep this is off topic...but...John charge ya phone n turn is on! :well...so we can... :beer

Cheers Dick :-)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 06:47:32 PM »
Thanks guys. Had the sleeve replaced now good as new
A.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.