Author Topic: temp?? clutch fix  (Read 2074 times)

Offline pault

• ST
temp?? clutch fix
« on: December 05, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »
my clutch has been dragging for some time. The slave cylinder has already been replaced. So i put a seal kit into the master cylinder. There was not much difference. This i gathered meant it was due for a resleeve.
There is a mob in lismore NSW who put a stainless sleeve in for $100 or so. Diameter back to14mm(standard). They did a good job on my last bike.
However I had some time, so taking measurements from the bucket seal and combined with the dimensions needed for an O ring groove, I turned up a piston from aluminum and screwed it to the spring. As the rather blurry pic shows.
All is good. It works. Don't know how long the O ring will last. As long as it lasts till I can arrange on days off to get resleeve done. Easy and cheap enough to replace anyway.
I have a Hercus lathe, such a nice machine to use. Piston was a 20 min job, spent most of the time measuring.
I spent 20 min looking for a parting off tool. gave up and ground a new one in 5 min. How often does that happen.
Bike has done 240 thousand K's. Previous 1100 did the same thing.
Always good when everything works as it should. And being able to do something myself.

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
Re: temp?? clutch fix
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 05:19:35 PM »
Good work Pault.  It's very satisfying to fabricate parts yourself, and then have them do the job you hoped they would.    :thumb
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:14:54 PM by StinkyPete »
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 06:18:38 PM »
Well done there Pault  :thumbsup
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 06:54:53 PM »
That will probably outlast the bike.  In a worst case, you might have to replace the "O" ring.
Well done, young man!
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 07:57:45 AM »
Mornin' Paul et al...

Well done that Man and all done on a 9" lathe too which l no doubt has had it's fair share or teenage abuse in some 70's Tafe like my ARM :wink1

Paul, as a thought did U consider to 'bespoke' the cylinder and just bore / hone any scoring out and turn a new piston to suit? Re-sleeving is the go, but wonder if the cylinder would allow the just cited attempt.

Cheers, the can:-)

Offline pault

• ST
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 07:00:15 PM »
Mr greencan .
what i do wonder about is how long the O ring will last compared to the original bucket seal.
I googled clutch line pressure and found widely differing results. I have a decent pressure gauge i could fit with a made up banjo fitting and make a longer bolt.  but seeing as there would still be air in the gauge itself would I get a true reading?. Dont want oil in the gauge.
I have a spare clutch I thought I might put on a bath scale and set up a lever to push the springs down and read the LBS needed to work it. Work backwards with the maths.
I looked around and could not find a bucket supplier locally.  It would be possible for me to bore out the cylinder just a tad to take the next O ring. Setting up would mean special jigs and i would need a longer boring tool (have some carbide tips somewhere). Would be an interesting exercise. Clutch might be a tad heavier.
However there is somebody locally who will put in a stainless sleeve for $100 or so. They did a good job last time and did not keep me waiting.
My lathe came from the CSIRO, well that's what I was told. Hardly any marks. After a few model A's and a horrible chinese thing i am happy at last. As you can probably guess I enjoy fiddling.
Thanks to those who replied