Author Topic: New Front Rotors - S3 Performance  (Read 1931 times)

Offline ruSTyEB

• Occasionally 2Up
New Front Rotors - S3 Performance
« on: December 12, 2013, 05:56:24 PM »
After having some front shuddering issues which have turned out to be warped/worn rotors, today I put on my new rotors, $99 each plus about $9 delivery.  Turned up 4 business days later.

purchased here with PayPal: http://www.s3performance.com.au/buy/disc-brake-rotor-front-honda-st1100-shadow-triumph-900/DBFSST1192

Get your Torque values here: http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=5871.msg66285#msg66285

Very easy to do, only thing I didn't realise was there are fibre washers between the rotor and the wheel.  I did read they can be left off but create more noise as they act as a dampener.

Washers I picked up at the local Auto Place

New Rotors

Front Wheel Off:
I'm getting better at this.  Make sure you support the brake callipers, bungee cords work well. As with any work with the callipers off DO NOT PULL A BRAKE LEVER/PEDEL or you'll have fun separating the pads.
I support the bike under the sump with a block of wood to disperse preasure and use a screw car jack as it's easily adjustable up and down

Old Rotor

Close Up

Place your wheel on something soft to protect the new ones when added, I used some foam.
Undo the existing bolts (allen key) and set aside.
Clean any gunk and residue from last washers away.
Place new washers over holes and place rotor on wheel

Finger tighten all bolts, in stages so they take up the recesses without misaligning the rotor. Repeat for other side of wheel

Reassemble wheel axle, speedo, and brake callipers.

Then go for a ride to bed them in.  Remember ATGATT because that first 100m is fun trying to stop with ultra slippery front brakes.

To easy.

And now seeing how a new rotor looks/works, the rear is next because it looks very worn.
Martin
 -- 94 ST1100 R --
Made in Hamamatsu

Offline Brian

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Immortal
Re: New Front Rotors - S3 Performance
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 06:01:46 PM »
Noice work
I jus wanna ride my bike

09 ST1300 Charcoal Metallic (Grey GhoST)
09 ST1300 Candy Glory Red (Red MiST)

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 10:37:21 AM »
Awesome work, thanks for sharing :hatwave :clap

I'm sure the information will come in handy for people in the future :thumbsup :thumbs
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline basadia

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 04:30:55 PM »
I recently fitted those exact rotors with a set of Metal Gear sintered pads, best thing I have done to my ST for ages. Now it actually stops. I also fitted a new brake master cylinder kit and now the front breaks are much better, before the lever was hard to pull now the front break is very good.
cheers
Keith
05 ST1300