Author Topic: phone mount with wireless charger  (Read 3453 times)

Online CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
phone mount with wireless charger
« on: November 21, 2017, 03:27:56 PM »
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried a phone mount on their Steed with wireless (QI) charging?

It's time I upgraded my phone and it would be rather handy to be able to charge the phone on the bike without having to plug it in.
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
Re: phone mount with wireless charger
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 04:15:47 PM »
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried a phone mount on their Steed with wireless (QI) charging?

It's time I upgraded my phone and it would be rather handy to be able to charge the phone on the bike without having to plug it in.

That is an awesome idea :thumbsup
I haven't seen anyone doing it, but I'll keep an eye out :hatwave
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

The following users thanked this post: Wild Rose

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 09:06:19 AM »
I've been thinking about this for a while now as a useful addition to the bike, however the problems I've encountered with wireless charging is that the distance between the phone and the pad (actually the charger and receiver coils) can only be millimeters in all 3 dimensions.

A couple of years ago I bought a kogan wireless charging pad and an add-on for my Galaxy note 2 phone, but it often wouldnt charge unless I had it precisely aligned such that I gave up using it. I then bought a Galaxy note5 phone which has a built in charging pad but I still had problems with the Kogan pad unless I removed the phone case and precisely aligned the phone on the pad. Next addition was a samsung FAST wireless charging pad and it is very reliable even with the phone case on. However, the reason the new combo works well is that the samsung fast charger uses both the Qi and PMA protocols which is also supported by the latest samsung phones. Unfortunately the samsung charging pads are big round things which are unsuitable for a bike mount.

Anyway upshot is, I need to find a suitably shaped charging pad that supports the Fast charge technology and also the Fast charge USB adapter to go with it.

The following users thanked this post: Wild Rose, CallMeSteve

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 05:02:21 PM »
Well,
I bought a wireless fast charger from here: https://www.ebay.com.au/usr/megoshop2012?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
2IN1 QC 3.0 Fast QI Wireless Charger Car Holder Mount For iPhoneX For iPhone8 MG

$23.
After considering how I could use the mount etc, I dismissed that idea and pulled the guts out of it. I had already made up a simple phone holder out of a piece of sheet metal folded top and bottom, so I glued the flat coil onto the front side of the holder so that it was positioned near the middle of the phone, then drilled a hole through the metal so that I could feed the wires to the electronics module which I then mounted on the back side. I then wrapped it all in cloth tape (100 mph tape) for waterproofing :).
Surprisingly enough it worked perfectly and was able to provide enough power to charge my Galaxy Note5 phone whilst using it for navigation, music/podcasts during my ride up to the national rally.
I say surprisingly because I had installed one of those dual USB adaptors in place of a cigarette lighter socket eg: https://www.narva.com.au/products/81134BL which doesn't support Quick Charge, but the system still supplied enough power. A proper QC compatible adaptor would be much better and would charge the phone in a 1/4 of the time of my current setup.

I think this setup could also be used with other phone holders provided they can withstand the phone being pushed out by an extra couple of millimeters.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker, CallMeSteve

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 01:39:08 PM »
Well,
I bought a wireless fast charger from here: https://www.ebay.com.au/usr/megoshop2012?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
2IN1 QC 3.0 Fast QI Wireless Charger Car Holder Mount For iPhoneX For iPhone8 MG

Surprisingly enough it worked perfectly and was able to provide enough power to charge my Galaxy Note5 phone whilst using it for navigation, music/podcasts during my ride up to the national rally.

Pics or it didn't happen, so the iPhone wireless charges the Andriod?

Online CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 01:47:44 PM »
Yeah I'd love to see some pics too.
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 02:40:23 PM »
Oh!! alright then :CB--
You can see the hump on the face plate where the wireless coil is mounted. The electronics board is mounted on the back side. You can also see the USB socket adaptor mounted in the speaker grill and the USB cord attached.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:43:54 PM by cravenhaven »

The following users thanked this post: Marcus, Shiney

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 12:37:31 PM »
Awesome work mate, thanks for sharing :thumbsup

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 11:22:10 PM »

Thanks Shiney
I was surprised it worked so well. so I have plans to rebuild it in a neater package and will take better photos of the setup then.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 07:39:00 PM »

Thanks Shiney
I was surprised it worked so well. so I have plans to rebuild it in a neater package and will take better photos of the setup then.

Awesome :thumbsup
I look forward to seeing version 2 :popcorn :popcorn :popcorn