Author Topic: Another Rangetopper  (Read 3998 times)

Maverick75

Another Rangetopper
« on: June 04, 2012, 07:47:34 AM »
Hi all. Good to see other range dwellers here; I live about 20 mins north of Toowoomba. I've recently purchased my second ST11 after six years on a R12GS. My last ST had 240k on it when I sold it and still runs like a top, so while looking at upgrading my home I decided to 'downgrade my ride'. I'm mid 30's and have been around bikes all my life. I have owned a few CX's and various other makes. My goal has always been mile-munching. I am a mechanical designer and a qualified welder.

I am happy to say that after about a month of riding the ST all over the joint it's definitely not a downgrade. More of a crossgrade really. The small amount of dirt road riding I do hasn't been compromised by the ST whatsoever and the engine is just lovely after the agricultural boxer.

I've been over the bike from top to bottom and am expecting another 240k minimum from this one  :).

Here she is, an '01 ABSII. My old girl was a '93 Candy red standard.

Bravo to those who get these sites up and keep them running, putting the knowledge in the hands of the people. I have only done a few mods on the new girl yet, one of which was a near invisible heated grip install using genuine grips, which I can share if anyone's interested. Am also looking at a Penske rear shock and front spring upgrade, when I find the best option.

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Re: Another Rangetopper
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 08:08:50 AM »
welcome aboard!

great to have another person on my side of the range!

we will have to catch up for a coffee  :thumb

Cheers

Streak (Graham)
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline STeveo

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 08:12:46 AM »
Hello Maverick75 and welcome,
  I have installed Ikon fork springs in my 94 1100 ($160 delivered) and 10wt oil to dramaticly improve the front end. Rear has only needed adjustment on the damper screw.
Steve.

:bl11

Offline royst1100

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 08:32:04 AM »
beautifull view from up there. the scene behind the ST is not bad either. welcome Maverick75 to one of the best sites around  :thumbs
regards
           Royce

Maverick75

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 08:34:51 AM »
Thanks Streak, it's lovely up here in paradise isn't it? (well, aside from the misty weather over the past few days). Great bike roads within easy distance and not having to fight traffic  8).

Hi Steve, how did you find the Ikons changed your ride? Did the front end become firmer or softer? I'm really chasing a similar feel to what I had on the GS, i.e. ironing out all the little bumps but plenty of control if needed. I've shot Ikon an email to ask about fitment to the ABS2.

Thanks RoyST1100. That's Somerset dam on my ride home from picking up the bike at the Sunshine Coast.

Cheers, Brett

(Maverick was a handle I had when I used to play games, I don't drive one).

Offline STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 08:54:01 AM »
Brett,
        the springs had sagged, so new springs lifted and firmed the front and the slightly heavier oil firmed the dampening. Still has good ride and control.
Steveo.

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
Hi Brett,
            if you have not seen it yet, but we have a run to esk coming in a couple of weeks: http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=1549.0 click on the link, and if you can come post away, i can pick you up when i come through highfields, i am going to go the long way and go up through cooyar.

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Mitch

• Legendary Member
  • Mitch
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 09:04:48 AM »
 G'Day Maverick and a Warm Welcome from the Wild West.
    Great site and people I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.  :thumbsup
                            :grin :blk13 :grin
2016 KTM1290 Super Adventure
2018 HONDA NC750X

Maverick75

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 09:47:26 AM »
Thanks Mitch. Yeah I've been lurking on the new site a fair bit, but thought I should contribute too.

Streak, I'll say a tentative yes on that ride. The Cooyar loop back down through Blackbutt Range is a nice run, one which I've done many times and enjoyed every one. I'll post on that thread to keep it organised. Cheers.

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 10:14:15 AM »
Welcome Maverick, The dam looks good with a bit of water in it, doesn't it!! Look forward to meeting you on the Esk run.

Cheers
Whizz
 :13Candy
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 11:21:21 AM »
Welcome, I'd be interested in more about your R12GS - how come you got rid of it, anything to do with the final drive?

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 11:23:04 AM »
Welcome to the zoo Maverick

Dave                                                      :wht13
Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Maverick75

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 11:37:51 AM »
Welcome, I'd be interested in more about your R12GS - how come you got rid of it, anything to do with the final drive?

Des, I had cracks appearing in the rear brake disk holes on the rear wheel carrier. It appears to be a common issue with the earlier 12's (all, RT's S's etc).

The updated part is steel, I have replaced the carrier, spacer and rear disk, bolts, pads. A $800 failure (parts alone) that shouldn't happen on a bike with 70,000km.
I have never had an issue with the actual final drive, but then I went against the factory and changed the oil at 1000km (lifetime fill? Really?) and have done so every 20k since. The 1000km oil came out as you would expect, silver. Imagine having that floating around for 100,000km  :eek.

We're saving up for a new property and the GS represents a lot of unknown compared to a ST when we might be a bit tight for a few years, plus I'm hoping to get some cash in the changeover to put toward the deposit. As stated previously, I've had one before and I know an ST1100 will keep going with only maintenance and service parts.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:40:23 AM by Maverick75 »

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 05:26:40 PM »

Des, I had cracks appearing in the rear brake disk holes on the rear wheel carrier. It appears to be a common issue with the earlier 12's (all, RT's S's etc).

The updated part is steel, I have replaced the carrier, spacer and rear disk, bolts, pads. A $800 failure (parts alone) that shouldn't happen on a bike with 70,000km.
I have never had an issue with the actual final drive, but then I went against the factory and changed the oil at 1000km (lifetime fill? Really?) and have done so every 20k since. The 1000km oil came out as you would expect, silver. Imagine having that floating around for 100,000km  :eek.

We're saving up for a new property and the GS represents a lot of unknown compared to a ST when we might be a bit tight for a few years, plus I'm hoping to get some cash in the changeover to put toward the deposit. As stated previously, I've had one before and I know an ST1100 will keep going with only maintenance and service parts.

Oh right, I've not heard of that one before - jeez if that little lot cost $800 I'd hate to think what they want over here for a final drive!

Much as I love the BMW's  to ride, every time I think about getting one a quick internet search reveals a whole heap of (expensive) issues which I can really do without, and as you say really shouldn't happen on any bike, let alone a 'premium' one like a BMW.

Maverick75

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 05:48:06 PM »
I had the final drive splines 'go' on my first ST, soon after I bought it, which obviously required the replacement of the gearset and driven flange. Those parts (I set it up myself, I do all my own work) were about $1000. You'd probably find the BMW equivalents wouldn't be too much dearer. The main difference was the ST failure was due to lack of maintenance. My GS has been meticulously maintained, with shorter than factory intervals, and things go south at a mileage when an ST is just starting to run in. All this on an almost exclusively highway ridden bike.

Funny thing is I've had splines stuffed on a CX650 too (when I bought it). Maybe I'm a stuffed spline magnet! :rofl

Anyhow, probably drifting off topic for an introductory thread. I absolutely love the GS (the suspension is the best in the world in my opinion) but I'd rather ride than sit around waiting for parts.

Online Skip

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 07:01:07 PM »
Welcome Maverick. Neat looking 1100. Hope to catch up with you at Esk. 
Cheers.
Skip.
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 09:09:24 PM »
Howdy Maverick. I am another one of those that like the BMW concept and thought that they would have nailed reliability by now (well they should have!).  I know that there are lots of BMW riders with no problems out there but seems too many with them. I still like the idea of a GSA.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Maverick75

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 09:56:29 PM »
Cheers Skip. The new girl does look nice but she has a few batttle scars for sure. I'm looking forward to the Esk ride, my first ride involving more than two others. :crazy
Am doing a few medium distance rides in the meantime though (itchy feet).

Saaz, I reckon a lot of the appeal is the brand. As far as the engineering goes the Hondas have it.
The BMW has soul but the dealers don't have the guts to back it up.

If you're interested in big dual sport machines the new Triumph Explorer is definitely worth a look.

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 05:59:48 AM »
Welcome Maverick, enjoy your time here  :beer
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 06:54:35 AM »
Welcome Maverick :hatwave
That’s a great looking ST :thumb

Hopefully we’ll all get to meet you on the next RTE :eat

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 07:36:04 AM »

Anyhow, probably drifting off topic for an introductory thread. I absolutely love the GS (the suspension is the best in the world in my opinion) but I'd rather ride than sit around waiting for parts.

Ah what the hell, we're all here to talk about bikes!

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 09:51:17 AM »
G'day Brett - great wheels you have there mate!     :thumb

Enjoy revelling in the pearls of wisdom from the various 'Oracles' we have amongST our membership here.

There are a few members whom are also FarRiders too, so we'll give you a hoy when the next one is on if you'd like a little LD riding with friends.     :thumbs

Thanks for the intro and enjoy your time here.

I'll have to get Streak to drag you Toowoombies along to our next feed  meeting at Esk Bakery for a coffee and greetings.

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au