Author Topic: HOB-MEL-BNE return  (Read 3448 times)

Offline Sim

• A ride you say? LeST go!
HOB-MEL-BNE return
« on: October 05, 2012, 07:03:03 AM »
Hi All, Big trip is planned to the mainland. I want to 'drop in' on Dad who is laid very low at the mo, (SURPRISE visit) he is not expecting me. I depart Hobart town Fri 12th Oct. I was wondering about routes, stops, overnighters, advice on where safe highway speeds are most appropriate. I have 7 days if you exclude Tassie component (which is an overnight and 300km). So 1800+1800 in 7 days! Time is pretty important, as is staying alert and keeping my licence. My experience, I havent ridden/driven MEL - SYD before although have done BNE - SYD yonks ago.
Advice reqd:
The route/s: Google maps nominates:
1) MEL via Albury to SYD and then Pacific highway to BNE. (I dont rate this, prob to slow with traffic)
2) MEL via Shepparton, Dubbo, Moree, Toowoomba, ... (Hwy39). Seems a bit far inland???
3) :think1 What about the New England Hwy From Dubbo through Coonabarabran through Armidale to Warwick as an option. ???
4) Your suggestion/route?

What do you guys reckon (roadworks, trucks,  :cop ) whats best option, what should i look out for, and avoid? I presume fuel 95+ is not a problem on any route. Is this your experience?

Overnight??? i was thinking Dubbo? or are there any good stopovers slightly before after this locale? :) 'Nothing flash' is my standard, good grub  :eat, quiet   :cuss so i can get 'some clicks' under my belt early the next day.

Any advice recomendations welcome. Cheers fella's (and Gals?)
Sim
 :blu13

CBR1100XX
ST1300A '05 (sold)

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
Re: HOB-MEL-BNE return
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 07:26:45 AM »
mate that looks like a bloody good trip  :thumb

as for accomodation, run your eye over the member map, and see if any of our fine crew are near where you would like to stop.

I know many of us are happy to lend you the spare room for the night   :thumbsup

keep us in the loop with your travels and we will all help you the best we can.
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 08:02:45 AM »
Welcomed at my place (southern out skirts of Sydney) and can use the motorway to head north.  Alarmed garage and floor space to sleep.

I use this website for some of my travels, it's not just caravan parks (look the heading "REPORTS")

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~badger04/

Cheers
vega
Dave
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 10:24:57 AM »
For the amount of time you've got and the distances involved, legal speeds will not be a problem.  95+ fuel is widely available.  As per my ride report, Brisbane to Melbourne can easily be done in two days without exceeding and speed limits.  There are long stretches of 110 kph roads in NSW and VIC.  Not so many in QLD, but that won't matter to you.

Have a read of
http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=2021.new#lastPost
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:31:35 AM by Biggles »
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline IanB

• Trundler
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »
New England Hwy is all 100kph. Newell which handles the semi traffic is 110kph
New England surface is a bit better but also a temptation to crack the big sweepers at highly illegal speeds and it's policed heavily
If you have a uhf radio then the newell is the way to go. Jam it on Ch40 and listen or talk to the trucks abt speed traps, highway patrol.
If your coming up the pacific then ch25 north of sydney will get the same.
Cheap accom. check out the pubs along the way. they vary from $25 up. Can't see a reason to pay upwards of $100 in a motel just for a bed.
When the route is planned and timed a bit more let people know.
Might be someone who will come out and act as pilot for the last run.
Never under estimate the predictability of stupidity.

Offline BillyB & Cas

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 01:30:24 PM »
I can vouch for the section from Armidale/Warwick/Toowoomba.
Have travelled it a few times and not a problem with good scenery and haven't had a bad experience with traffic.
If you need a stop-over around the border, stop at Wallangara. The JEnnings hotel over the railway line (in NSW) is basic but good and clean ($15/person - cost us $30 for the two of us for a room) and the two Ladies that own it are friendly to bikers.
BB.
BillyB

Online STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 06:03:07 PM »
My pick would be inland through Dubbo, Moree, Toowoomba. Less traffic, 110 most of the way. New England has more towns (slow) and boys in blue suits. Pacific if really desparate but be prepared for the egg heads!
 :bl11

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 11:02:59 PM »
G'day Sim, we live on the New England and drive it more than daily some days, something worth considering especially if your considering some nocturnal navigation is the Roo's up here are prolific at the moment.....counted 18 having a long sleep between Guyra and Glen Innes (65k's) today. Most where not their yesterday....local smash repairer said to me couple days ago he has done 12 quotes this past week alone on local cars for roo damage.....

Cheers enjoy !!
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Sim

• A ride you say? LeST go!
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 07:02:04 AM »
Hi Guys, this is all great feedback, thanks and keep it coming. I am just itching in  my boots thinking and talking about it, Friday cannot come quic enough for me!
Responses thus far have been excellant, a few points to clear up, i won't be doing any night riding if i can help it.
Welcomed at my place (southern out skirts of Sydney) and can use the motorway to head north.  Alarmed garage and floor space to sleep.
Vega: Thanks for the offer mate - it looks like i am leaning towards an 'inland route'.
...something worth considering especially if your considering some nocturnal navigation is the Roo's up here are prolific at the moment.....
Thx ST2UP. You can 'never' be reminded enough about roos. I may do some early morning riding, and will have to make sure the eyes  :crazy are peeled!!! We dont get roos like the mainland down here is Taz. They win every time!!!

Reports thus far seem to indicate Newell is 110, more trucks, 'possibly' less police, talk to truckers or keep and/an ear to the UHF. I will be  leaving Dubbo Sunday (or thereabouts), so slightly less trucks on weekends? I am leaning toward Newell (as its 110, even though theres more trucks, being Sunday should be less of them about?).
Another question the road linking Goondiwindi to Warwick (Hwy42). Any view on this link???

Thanks ***everyone*** so much, I really appreciate the local knowledge/tips. Qld is my old 'stomping ground' - once near Ipswich it should all start coming back to me!!!  :thumb
Sim
CBR1100XX
ST1300A '05 (sold)

Online STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 05:22:55 PM »
Did Hwy 42 two years ago. Good surface, little traffic, flat, boring. So ok then. To avoid the trucks and enjoy the ride with very little traffic, what about going from Coonabarabran through Gunnedah to Keepit Dam turnoff to Manilla, Barraba, Bingara (have good coffee at Roxy cafe in main street), Warialda and either turn right to Inverell, Glen Innes and up the New England or go straight ahead to Yetman, Texas, Inglewood to Warwick. All roads ok, haven't seen a cop up there for years and no trucks. Wouldn't try it in the dark. :)

:bl11