Honda ST1300 Section > Fuel & Additives ST1300

Excessive Fuel Consumption, Any ideas?

<< < (5/5)

Brock:
Take a run before you do any changes, to give a standard to measure any improvements against. Its always a good idea to have a start point

simo:

--- Quote from: zevk on December 26, 2012, 05:52:38 PM ---Hi Stevo + Aj1300, thanks for the advice, in anticipation of what may be a disaster, I puchased a "Grabbit kit" from Bunnings which has left hand drill bit and e-z-out on the oppoosite end, to be used with cordless driver / drill. If it doesnt come out this way, I will burr the heads off and then try to remove with vise grips.. not looking foward, but may have to be done... awaiting new air filter from the UK and then will check fuel consumption.
thanks for the advice.

--- End quote ---

Hi Zev,

I know this is an old topic. However, I was curious how you eventually removed the air filter box with the stubborn screws? Also, did you finally figure out what was causing the excessive fuel consumption?

John

zevk:
Hi Simo,
re the fuel consumption, I was used to the frugale sipping of a VT750, gsx 750 and realize that the V4 is thirstier...I can still get 480-520 km out of a full tank of 96 octane 

below my thread response to stuck air box screws:

stuck air box screws extracted to free up idle speed screw
« on: February 04, 2013, 07:43:15 AM »
QuoteModifyRemove

I got round to removing the seized screws that hold the air box to the throttle bodies.
I removed the tank pivot bolt, seat adjuster and tank safety cable and very gently and carefully secured the tank almost vertically, removed the air filter cover, filter and snorkels.
(good idea to mark them in cylinder order, with a "white out" pen, as well as alignment dots on the air box itself)

The 8 (JIS head, 5mm) bolts that hold the air box to the throttle body, were seized, but I removed 4 of them, with VERSA, JIS impact screwdriver.
The other 4 bolts that were not budging, I used a very clever extractor called "grabbit"

http://prograbit.com/Pages/grabitPro.php

it looks like a cordless drill bit. It has a LEFT hand drill bit with shelf stop on one side, then flip the bit over, it has the correct size screw extractor bit the other side.
into a cordless drill, Left - couterclockwise, slow drilling and within 10 seconds, it grabs the stubborn bolt out!

Dont forget to block the throttle bores gently with clean rags, to protect metalic shards and mishaps...

I replaced all 8 bolts with Alan, 5mm x 20mm, added flat washers, lock washers and anti-seize paste on the threads.

A three second spray of WD40 onto the idle speed assembly left side of throttle bodies, (just follow the adjuster cable to the pivot assembly, near piston #1) and what has been a very stuck, immobile idle screw, now moves freely and can be easily adjusted.

2 hours work all up. Just need to remember to rotate the idle screw a bit every month or so, to prevent it from getting stuck again!

hope this is usefull for anyone with same issue.

good luck

simo:
Thanks Zev - very interesting.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version