Author Topic: My expanding teardrop trailer build  (Read 16103 times)

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
My expanding teardrop trailer build
« on: October 05, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »
The expanding
Teardrop Trailer Build
By  Winston Lee

18/04/2013

Concept.
     I wanted to go touring, and camping, on my motorcycle.
But did not want the complexity and all of the associated hassles of roughing it, or erecting tents. Or sleeping on the ground, or fighting with a swag, or blow up mattresses etc.
Besides that is a lot of stuff to pack on the back of a motorcycle.
So after some considerable thought I decided to construct a pull along teardrop trailer, for  my  motorcycle .
 I wanted to incorporate some unique design features that could only  enhance  the  pleasures  that would ensue with its use.
  With my limited skills and capabilities this build had to be simple and economic in design, and concept, and to use easily available and  inexpensive  parts, and components, and  the tools  that I had to hand.
I selected a readily available small trailer chassis kitset that I could easily  assemble, and when completed it would comply with the Western Australian motor vehicle registration specifications. (it had the factory supplied required Vin. number etc.) And came complete with the full suspension , Spare wheel, Trailer hitch, safety chain, lighting ,and wiring loom, and suitable 7 pin plug. Etc.
The assembled dimensions of the chassis were most suitable for the intended purpose and did not need to be altered in any way.
At this time I was not overly concerned with the finished gross weight of the trailer as the kitset components weighed in at about 65 kilograms and I was allowing for a possible all up finished  laden  weight of around 190 to 200 kg.  My towing motorcycle  in my opinion is just one of the best, being a Honda ST.1300. It has plenty of power and certainly can go fast enough for me. We are limited here anyway in Western Australia to a maximum of 100 kilometres per hour whilst towing, and a maximum of 110 at other times when on the open road .
=======================

Body Design,
 I wanted to be as economical as possible with the materials needed, so I elected to construct the body from aluminium checker plate (diamond pattern), and it was to have a plywood floor.
The body would initially be a one piece shell and when finished would then be cut in half across ways and the rear portion would be attached to  both the chassis and the rear portion of the floor, the floor would  be in two pieces also, (details of this later).
The front portion of the floor would be on top of and overlap the rear portion.

The rear portion of the body would be perminately attached to the rear main part of the floor and the chassis.  The extending front portion of the floor, and body, would then be able to slide forwards away from the rear part of the floor and  body, and up the draw bar, towards the towing hitch. Supported by Teflon sliders and some small fabricated rollers.
 The effect of this would be to extend the opened ,overall length of the teardrop body from the designed 1550 mm (closed length) , for towing. To a total  extended length of 2400mm, This would enable a full length  for a (bed) of some 1020 mm. wide, (the chassis width.) by 2000mm in length . Ie. some(50) mm. longer than a normal bed (which is 1950mm) ,and then there would then be an area of some 400 mm. deep, accessible through a rear hatch as a totally separate storage area (some might call it a kitchen.)
Access to the bed area is through the sides at the point where the body divides and can be an opening of between 800mm. to 900mm. in width, depending on your preference.
I subsequently have constructed a couple of separate cover panels which clip on to the side and the top, over the opening, these will provide adequate weather cover for the opening in the top and one side. These panels unclip when packing up and are stored on the floor of the front half, and when packing up I place them under the folded mattress, before sliding the two halves of the body together.
There is also a very light weight awning system which attaches over the opening and will  give full shade and rain protection if needed.
I wanted to minimise the cost of the single most expensive components, ( The aluminium cladding for the body), Consequently the sides were shaped and designed to be  both cut from a single  2400 by 1200 mm sheet of 2.4mm aluminium, don’t forget to reverse the profile  for one side so that the outside surfaces will have matching patterns to the outside.
The top was cut from a single piece of 2400 by 1200mm 1.6mm aluminium . The top was cut 
to be finished 20 mm. wider  in total  than the finished width of the outside of the body.  The  hatch for access to the rear storage area necessitated  the subsequent purchase of a suitable sized extra piece of cladding. This was sourced at the time of constructing the two clip on cover panels.
=======================

Chassis Considerations and adjustments
For stability when towing.  The  draw bar length needed to be adjusted to a ratio that is dictated by the wheel base width, (or track). This needs to be  minimum of one point eight times the wheel base width. I feel that  a ratio of two times is even better.
To achieve this the draw bar was extended by approx. 650mm. from the front of the chassis, this gave an approx. total length of 2300mm from the axel position.
At this time I also extended the total length of the draw bar to project 300mm past  the rear of the chassis this gave me a firm attachment point for the rear of the body and also a suitable mounting position for a bumper, or in my case a place to mount the spare wheel.
As the wheel track is 1200mm. from centre to centre of the tyres, and the draw bar length 2300mm from the axel to the tow hitch, this equates to a ratio of 1.9, and I found that with these dimensions the trailer was well behaved and tracked the motorcycle perfectly and there was no  induced swaying whilst underway.

Trailer Hitch
This one is quite important.
The supplied hitch is of the standard design and suitable for up o 750 Kg.
However for use with a motorcycle, I would recommend obtaining an aftermarket unit that swivels around the axis of the drawbar. This is for safety reasons, because if your bike ever falls either off the side stand, or is dropped, even at a low speed, if the hitch does not swivel, some quite serious damage will be caused to the attached hardware on the motorcycle.

Draw bar weight,
I feel that this is very important and some care must be exercised when loading the trailer, I have found  that for me, a tow hitch weight of around 15 kilograms  when laden, is acceptable, but you will have to experiment a little in order to find out what will suit your particular situation.
With the Easy Tailer chassis I took the trouble of dismantling the leaf springs in order to remove the second leaf from each spring. In my opinion the overall laden weight of the trailer did not need the extra helper spring leaf, and doing this actually improved the handling of the laden trailer. Whilst doing this I also slipped a piece of suitable plastic irrigation hose over the bolt that retained the rear of the spring in the slipper, this reduced the transmitted noise when the spring moves. 
After assembling the chassis and attaching the springs, when fitting the axel I turned it upside down and placed it on top of the springs, this lowered the chassis approx. 40 to 50mm which will reduce the overall finished height of the trailer. It also lowers the centre of gravity.
After fitting the stub axles and the finished draw bar, the chassis was checked for squareness by measuring from the back corners to a centre point on the attached tow hitch, when these measurements were the same I also checked the distances from the ends of the stub axles to the same point on the tow hitch in order to make sure that the trailer would track properly.
When all was square the  chassis assembly bolts were checked for tightness and then any joints that were suitable on the chassis were welded .

Tyres
The tyres and wheels that were supplied were 12 inch rims fitted with 4 ply high speed tyres rated for 120 kph. And 480 kg. I found that an inflation pressure of 25lbs was suitable for me.
Lights
Standard trailer lights, ie, side, running, stop, and turn indicators, with incandescent bulbs were supplied with the chassis components.
I felt that these were quite satisfactory for my needs, but if something up market was required you could obtain some suitable, led type, there is a very wide choice on E Bay.
Sliding Floor     
This was achieved by making several sets of rollers and then inserting them in the main floor as shown, see the photos for illustrated details.
The rollers were constructed from a piece of 1 Cm. Thick nylon cutting board. I used a 30mm. hole saw to cut out the wheels, and the axles are from some ground down 5/16 inch bolt shafts, these were then held in place with some appropriate stainless steel strapping, and countersunk ¼ inch bolts.
With hindsight the roller idea is probably a bit too much , I now think a suitable result could be obtained by using thin strips of Teflon  fastened on the main floor, (glued), and the sliding surface faced with something like melamine.
Internal divider
This will be needed in order to divide up the internal space as you require as well as providing a very strong bracing for the sides and also supporting the top.
This was constructed from a suitable piece of sign white. Bent to shape to give recessed area for clearance for your feet, and to make a shelf in the rear storage space, This divider adds a tremendous amount of needed reinforcement and stiffening, to the sides and the top.

=======================

Trailer build
Step 2
Sourcing parts and hardware.
1   The basic trailer chassis,
 Carlex Pty. Ltd. (Easy Trailer Service Centre) Email  sales@carlex.com.au
830TA Trailer  Trailer Model LCI-830TA
Spare Wheel, 4 Stud
Trailer Stand
Tel 1300 881 787
These people have a comprehensive range of product , contact them for  their product catalogue etc.
See appendix 1 for the specifications

2  The aluminium sheeting for the cladding, and the right angle al.  extrusions  etc. contact any of your local sheet metal suppliers for their selection of product and prices,  I used aluminium diamond pattern checker plate for both the sides (2.4mm.), and the top (1.6mm.) Full  sheets   1200mm. by 2400mm.
2   General hardware items.  Locking Latches, and general
3   assorted bolts and other fastners etc, The local Motor vehicle and hardware parts supplier.
4    Screws, and Sealed aluminium pop rivets, Bolts etc.  The local Bunnings.
        5    Wooden components,  plywood etc.  Bunnings.
6  Silastic adhesive  Bunnings.
==========================

STEP 3
SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS
West Australian Government legislation.
See attached extract for current requirements.( if I can find it)
For your build you will have to consider some if not all of the following points.

1   Weight
2   Width
3   Height
4   Lighting
5   Towing speed (Tire ratings and sizes)
6   Draw bar length
7   Tow hitch weight
8   Overall weight
9   Tyres ,   Specifications, Sizing, Speed and loading,
10   VIN. Number
11   Vehicle licensing
12   Driver (licensing) requirements.
13   Fuel consumption. Towing vehicle

===============================

STEP 4

Insurance and Legal Considerations.
1   Check with your Insurance providers as to their requirements in regard to your special situation and requirements, and to ascertain what disclosures they will require from you.
2   Will you and your Motorcycle comply with their requirements? or will you have to canvas the providers to find one that will be interested in your business.
3   If you choose to use any of the information provided in this blog, it is solely at your own risk and the author is absolved from any consequences or happening that might ensue by your actions.

==================================

Appendix 1
WWW.easytrailer.com.au
sales@easytrailer.com.au
Ph.1300881787
Basic trailer chassis, information.
Trailer specifications
Model 830TA Chassis Trailer-Rigid
Bed size 1220x1016mm tare weight 65 Kg.
Compliance ADR/ECE .
Springs  HT. Slipper (660) Kg.
Wheels 12” white Spoke Steel (5mm)Tyres  60 Psi,  4 Ply, High Speed
Hubs/ Axle 4 Stud, Cast  Iron(990) Kg.            Bearings, 2” Fully Tapered (990) Kg.
Bed  Height 475 mm.                                         Coupler  50 mm.  750  Kg.
Coupler Height  410 mm. (Hitch)                                Frame “C Section 1.5x2
Hitch     Standard  Regulation 750  Kilogram
Safety chain      Regulation  stamped 1000 Kg.
Drawbar 700mm,-2.5”x2”                               Lights ADR Combination Type   
Wiring 7 Pin Flat Loom
Lights  Combination/stop/running/turn signal indicator.     With Optional / Amber side lamps       

=========================================

Appendix   2
Concept drawings
The following few drawings are an attempt to show some of the design concepts and ideas that I used to ratify my final design, in some instances the final design changes quite a lot from these original sketched ideas and this was because of having some new ideas and also having to adapt certain features to suit the available materials etc.
You will get the idea.
These were my initial sketches which I used to prove the concept.
The final build changes somewhat from these examples. As some minor modifications were incorporated as the build progressed, and I had the opportunity to improve, some aspects of the design. As I thought of them.
I actually built things to fit as I went along and ideas came to me

All the measurements and notations shown, are nominal values only. But I made some effort to try to make the drawing to scale.
The dotted vertical lines that show the centre portion of the floor lifting vertically, this was not used in the final build, as I decided to make the floor in two pieces, then to divide, and then slide over itself.
The final size of the body was dictated by the stock size of the kitset trailer chassis, and the overall size of the top of the body was dictated by cutting it out from only one sheet of aluminium.
The drawer bar was lengthened to 1800mm from the axle and then 300mm rearwards to provide extra support for the body and the spare wheel.
The zig zag dotted line towards the rear shows the internal divider which separates the rear storage compartment and also adds a tremendous amount of bracing, support for the roof and stiffness to the body.
The square item on the draw bar could be provision for a esky or other storage area, but that item would have to be removed when opening out the trailer body. I felt that this was not practical, and my esky is carried inside whilst travelling.

Well that is all I have to say folks.
I hope that you found my little exercise interesting and possibly informative.
My next exercise is the construction of  a single wheel (uni go) type of pull along trailer.
This utilises as the main components the front wheel, complete with the telescopic forks, and the chassis of a discarded scooter. Then there will be the body build and the construction of the special draw bar and hitch coupling.
Cheers.

Winston Lee Western Australia. 
 Email    meontop@hotmail.co.uk
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

The following users thanked this post: sean11

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
Re: My expanding teardrop trailer build
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 04:53:24 PM »
Wow what a read... great info, thanks

The following users thanked this post: sean11

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 05:47:38 PM »
Nice work Winston66, and well documented.  :thumb

Although I'm not keen on the trailer for sleeping in, I do like the concept of buying the lightweight registerable unit, and modifying it to suit your own needs.   It's a great way to get the chassis/suspension unit, and builders could then add any kind of top unit that suits their particular purposes.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Abe

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • 4D Gang Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 05:59:07 PM »
Many thanks for all that interesting info Winston66.   :thumb

May look at making a trailer late next year, after I finish some already started projects.
At my age " getting lucky" is remembering what I came in the room for ;)

:wht13      Cheers Dave
Member of the 4 D Gang

Online STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 08:14:38 PM »
Good read Winston. Am working on a single wheel one myself. The biggest problem I am having so far is the NON rotating hitch. All the 4wd type ones are far too heavy, and anything I can make will not be legal, so have stalled for the moment.

:bl11

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 08:56:36 PM »
Hi Stevo,
My reading and understanding of IB-12A Vehicle Safety and Standards Bulletin.(WA. Gov)
Says
Note 2.Says, All Individually constructed Trailers.
Individually constructed trailers must also comply with the requirements specified above.
Purpose built couplings and tow bars must be referred to the Department
        "if these components are unmarked and there is doubt to their strength".
AD62 mechanical connections between vehicles requirements must be satisfied.

I take this to mean that a strong and well made hitch and draw bar arrangement would be acceptable if it presents in an acceptable manner.

Perhaps your local vehicle inspection people could give you a valid ruling.
I personally am going to take this up with the local people.
Cheers ,
Winston66
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)

Online STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 06:50:47 AM »
Hi Winston, I have rang the RMS here in NSW and they tell me that anything I construct myself must be approved by an Engineer approved by the RMS. One Engineer I rang said about $1,200 to $2,000 to get a hitch certified to pass the ADR 62/02. Not in my budget! I thought about using a 4WD type one and modifying it, but the legalities become an issue in an accident. So far, still thinking on it.

Online Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 10:02:47 AM »
There are swivel hitches available over the net, I think classic trailers has one.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 11:00:12 AM »
There are swivel hitches available over the net, I think classic trailers has one.

$250 from http://www.classicind.com.au/Parts/ under coupling in the LH menu
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 02:01:15 PM »
Winston66,
  Thanks guys,
Unfortunately those classic trailer swiveling hitches will not work for a mono wheel trailer their operation is wrong .
What is needed is a hitch that is rigid along the longitudinal axis of the draw bar as the trailer must be kept in the same vertical attitude as the motorcycle.
Those hitches will allow the mono wheel trailer to fall over.
However they are ideal for fitting to any pull along standard two wheel trailer that is going to be used with a motorcycle.
Most overseas designs for the single wheel trailer utalise something akin to an automotive universal joint which is fitted so that it only allows angular movement about the combination's lateral and vertical axes only.
Clear as mud , hey.
Cheers ,
Winston66
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)

Online STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 05:52:11 PM »
The biggest problem I am having so far is the NON rotating hitch.

Thanks Allan and Brock but I need a NON rotating/swivel hitch.

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 08:55:42 AM »
Awesome work Winston, legendary effort :thumbsup :clap
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 09:43:27 AM »

This might be the best place to start looking

http://www.uni-go.com/proddetail.php?prod=TR7030

http://www.uni-go.com/products.php?cat=13&pg=2
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 10:55:29 AM »
Fantastic Winston!!   A very interesting and informative write up, well done mate!! :thumbsup
The completed trailer looks great, now...........what's with the next project, why the single wheel trailer?? :grin
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 11:26:07 AM »
Hi Couch.
Thanks for that.
You asked why the single wheeled trailer?
Well the answer to that is ,I get bored and I like to do stuff.
I have spent the last 10 years naffing about building a house etc. to live in, and have finally got to a stage where I feel comfortable even though some aspects of it will probably never be totally finished, but it suits me .
And now with my very limited income I prefer to do stuff like this instead of spending time idle or in a pub.
After the last two trailer builds and becoming more aware of their capabilities and possible shortcomings, I thought that the mono wheel presents some different challenges and aspects to consider, and also could open up some further uses for the motorcycling experiences, situated as I am , a shopping trip to the nearest town is a round trip of 150 klms. and Perth is one way 500 Klms.
Even though the camper van runs on  Used Vegie oil and the Statesman does 10 K to the Liter, I still want to get on either of the two bikes and enjoy the outdoors and the freedom of the open road..
Cheers , Winston66
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 12:29:24 PM »
Fair enough mate, I understand exactly where you're coming from! I've never been one to sit around or spend time in the pub either, I've built 4 homes as an owner builder, including the design of each, drawing them up to scale and right through to final landscaping. There was only two things I never attempted, electrical work and plumbing. Also built myself a trailer way back in 1978, I brought a 14ft Catamaran and didn't have the money to buy myself a trailer, so I set about building one, it turned out really well considering I had never even held an electrical welder, let alone used one, but I borrowed one and wammo, away we went!! 
Although we have a small local IGA store here in town our nearest Woolworths or Coles, or for that matter, any other shop, is a round trip of 170klms away, ha! ha! .....beat you by an extra 20klms!!  I don't look to do so many projects myself these days, but I certainly understand where you're coming from!! :grin
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 12:39:24 PM »
Hi Couch.
Now I am jealous!!!!
Your little paradise sounds even better than mine.
Cheers,  winston66
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 01:00:27 PM »
I guess we're both lucky Winston, we're both away from the hustle and bustle of city life, no parking metres in our little town, and the nearest set of traffic lights is 85kls away, in actual fact we only have one set of traffic lights all the way in to Hobart, which is 110kls away, and I don't even have to go through them as there's a bypass road. I spent far too many years living and driving in the city every day, I'd never want to go back to it!! :grin

Hi Couch.
Now I am jealous!!!!
Your little paradise sounds even better than mine.
Cheers,  winston66

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 01:05:27 PM »
Hi Couch,

My dad would have told me in no uncertain manner.

Its not GOOD LUCK.
It is just GOOD MANAGEMENT!!!!!!

Cheers, winston66
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 01:11:17 PM »
I knew a guy who hated traffic lights so much I moved every time his town installed a set

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 01:27:36 PM »
 :rofl

I knew a guy who hated traffic lights so much I moved every time his town installed a set

Online STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 03:09:42 PM »

Thanks Allan. I don't know if the uni go hitch would be compliant with Aussie ADR's. I am thinking that I may have to use the Heavy 4wd type (4 tonne rating!) and live with it.

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 03:29:59 PM »
Question without notice  :think1 - So wouldn't the trailer body be better turned around 180 degrees on the axle so it was more streamlined at the front reducing the frontal area behind the bike, reducing drag and thereby improving fuel economy by shiploads? :wink1 :thumb
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Online STeveo

• ST Legend
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 03:57:58 PM »
No, because drag is at the back. Have you ever seen an aeroplane wing with the pointy bit to the front?
The 'eyeball' aerodynamics look good, but don't work. The airflow wants to come back together and the smoother this can be done the less drag will be caused. The turbulence behind the bike would make no difference to the airflow on the front of the trailer, and the flat sides would cause their own problems. I think Winston has made the best compromise regards shape verses useable space verses weight.

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 04:04:03 PM »
Hi  Sicman,
 Now that is a question and I do not have a definitive answer for you,except that I went with the conventional  design concept.
I have never seen a teardrop trailer type design going backwards as it were.So it did not occur to me to try that approach.
I do agree however that the total bulk of the trailer has an effect on the fuel economy but it does not seem to be too excessive, over a 240 Klm. trip my economy went from an average of say 18.5 Klm. per liter for one up ,It dropped down to an average of about 15.0 Klm.  per litr. Whilst towing.
A lot seemed to be dependent on how heavy I was on the throttle whilst accelerating and if there was a stiff head wind or not, as well as to weather I used the cruse control whilst traversing through the up and down bits of the road.
Dont forget that we are limited to 100 Kph. whilst towing, and if this speed is observed the effective wind resistance is in reality quite small when compared to what  would experienced at a higher speed.
That is  if you were to double your speed the wind resistance would be increased by 400 percent. and that would be massive.
Cheers . winston66
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)