OzSTOC Events National & Local > NEW ZEALAND

Travels of the NZ OzSTOC Flag - In Australia

<< < (2/2)

DougieNZ:
Gidday Rob,

I'm interested in exploring a little more about this as an Aussie touring option is something I have looked at in the past.

Can you tell me the cost of shipping and who you used? Did you make the crate yourself looks great BTW)? How much hassle was it and how long do you think you would need to be over there to make this option worthwhile?

Cheers

Adrian

:13Candy

Chops:
Great story mate

RGardner:

--- Quote from: DougieNZ on July 29, 2015, 08:56:06 AM ---Gidday Rob,
I'm interested in exploring a little more about this as an Aussie touring option is something I have looked at in the past.
Can you tell me the cost of shipping and who you used? Did you make the crate yourself looks great BTW)? How much hassle was it and how long do you think you would need to be over there to make this option worthwhile?
Cheers
Adrian

:13Candy

--- End quote ---
Hi Adrian,
Sorry about the slow reply.
It’s really easy these days. I used Mainfreight because they knew all about it and made the process really smooth. They do a complete package covering all handling and processing of documentation. Also their Sydney depot is very close to the airport at Botany for a quick pick up after you get off the plane (If you get the early morning flight you’ll be riding out of Sydney well before lunch).
They cost about $1,100 each way.
On top of that you’ll need a Carnet through the Automobile Association (look it up on their website). This will cost about $700 and allows you to ride on your NZ registration without having to worry about Australia’s compulsory Third Party.
For insurance I found John Baker Insurance which is a subsidiary of AON very good and one of the few companies that will insure a NZ bike while overseas. (I didn’t worry about being insured while on the water as that was $400 and I figured the chance of a complete loss over the side of the boat is pretty remote these days).
For a crate, go into your local motorcycle dealership and ask them to keep the box for the next big bike the get in. I used a Harley Davidson crate for a trip to Oz I did in 2012 and a Gold Wing one earlier this year. Both times it cost me a carton of beer as the boxes are normally just given to the recycler.
Duration of trip to make it worthwhile – 4 to 7 weeks. My 2012 trip which was all the way around the coast plus the Red Centre was 7-weeks which is a long time to be away from family. This year I did two lots of three weeks with the bike stored at my brother-in-laws place in the Blue Mountains for 6-weeks in between.
Cheers,
Rob

DougieNZ:
Brilliant Rob.

Some excellent information to go on there mate. Very much appreciated.

Regards

Adrian (DougieNZ)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version