Author Topic: Loss of coolant  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Wheelbarrow

• ST1300A, Rockhampton, Qld
Loss of coolant
« on: August 11, 2015, 07:40:57 PM »
I’m having a  bit of a drama and would appreciate some advice.
My ST is leaking coolant and it appears the location is as shown on the photo with the red arrow. So, could it be the water pump seal inside?
It does not leak when the engine is cold and does not show anything at normal warm up. That’s why it’s deceiving but I noticed it after a few minutes of idling. (Good that it didn’t happen during a longer ride without noticing)

It happened after a few days of no use and it was pretty cold and dry at nite. Could that have caused the seal to shrink? Now it seems everything ok, not a drop, even with hot engine or cold. What the?

Looks like I would have to strip her naked and check it out. But: If it’s the mechanical seal of the water pump, can this be fixed relatively painless? Can that seal be bought easily? The service manual states the radiator needs to be removed – Is that difficult?

It seems to be that special tools are required to remove the impeller to get to the seal. Has anyone experience with this?

Is it worthwhile to strip her naked just to find out that she needs to go to a qualified mechanic anyway? Any pointers or suggestions please… I’m pretty peeved at the mo….

Offline Assassin

• ST1300
    • Freestyle Photography
Re: Loss of coolant
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 09:16:19 PM »
Hi Wheelbarrow, did you manage to get this sorted yet ? It's a bit involved to get here, but it could be just a loose clamp on one of the pipes, or worse, perhaps a split... Not common though, usually the water pump mechanical seal needs to be replaced.... If you're in Qld, I can help as I had to replace the seal myself a few months back...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Honda ST1300 | Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa