Author Topic: Low coolant  (Read 1758 times)

Offline DJW

Low coolant
« on: October 03, 2015, 12:33:08 PM »
I started the bike this morning and after a few minutes warm up noticed drops of coolant under the bike.  Could not see where it was coming from so took the cowling off and cleaned it all up around the engine bay.  Started the bike again and after a minute is so a couple of drops came out the water pump inspection hole followed by some dirty moisture.  Any suggestions, is this normal.  Coolant level is down a bit so I'm thinking water pump might be on the way out??????

Offline Me_3

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • ST Legend
Re: Low coolant
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 01:45:09 PM »
Mine did the spewing water thing out of there a day before heading down to Melbourne for the Ozstoc rally. I had an offer of help to change the seal along the way if I needed it.. After the first day of riding it stopped, and hasn't leaked since.. I suspect a bit of crap got under the seal 😑

Keep an eye on the level, and see if it settles down before attempting major surgery...

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 02:02:48 PM »
Usually a sign of the seal about to go, may not happen for years tho.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline edwardgoodwin

• Incorrigible
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 07:41:04 PM »
Hi DJW .  I managed to send myself on a wild goose chase with  coolant level by checking & adjusting the reservoir level with the engine at normal operating temperature...WRONG!....& she duly spat out the excess before behaving normally again. Advanced  dopeyness by me as the original 2002 owner's handbook clearly says to check & adjust reservoir tank level when engine & tank are fully cooled.Ed. >:()
Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly