Author Topic: Any one in Auckland?  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
Any one in Auckland?
« on: November 29, 2017, 11:16:06 AM »
Getting back on my bike after an incident with a taxi a year ago and a shoulder reconstruction a few months ago.

Anyone interested in day rides in the weekend, or even a three day/long weekend ride Auckland/Kaitaia/Cape Rienga/Mangonui/ Auckland?  Or a mid-week day ride around the Coro Loop?

At my age you realise something very important, then ten minutes later you've forgotten it.

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
Re: Any one in Auckland?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 06:21:28 PM »
Oh to be in NZ, equipped with a bike.

Sounds like a good ride.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 10:43:05 AM »
Godzone motorbiking country Gadget!  That Coromandel loop ride is just something else, about 200 km of wonderful corners, hills and valleys through farmland and forests, and sea views too.  Couple of nice cafes and pubs for a break too.

By the time I left central Queensland I'd had a gutsful of large radius sweepers joined together by long boring straights.  When I left QLD I was sitting on 11 points, you lose your licence at 12!

I had one traffic cop pulled me up, he was coming along a long straight towards the large radius sweeper I was exiting at 114 in a 100 zone.  He said he'd have let me off if I hadn't been accelerating out of the curve.  I told him I was doing a steady speed right through the curve and keeping an eye on the road not the speedo and his radar gun only had me increasing speed because as I came around the curve my velocity became more and more in line with him on the straight.  I even drew a diagram with a stick in the dirt beside the road showing how I would've have been showing zero km/hr at right angles to him at the start of the curve to the full 114 km/hr as I came onto the straight coming directly towards him.  But he couldn't understand vector analysis and I lost $110 and 3 points.  Quite ruined the day ride from Mackay to Rockhampton and back for a burger.

Anyone thinking of coming over to NZ for a biking holiday, I'm retiring in a few months so if you want a companion I don't charge much!
At my age you realise something very important, then ten minutes later you've forgotten it.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 09:18:43 PM »
I drove most of the Coromandel loop in a Motorhome (Mercedes LWB van) in Feb/Mar 2015. Shonee got sick of hearing me say, "This would be fun on a bike. "
Every chance I got when I saw a bike conning up behind, ASAP, I'd find somewhere to pull over and let them pass.

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Bodø Glimt

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 01:29:40 AM »
I did New Zealand on a bicycle in 1994.  Great when the wind was behind you but a nightmare when it was a headwind.

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 07:04:49 AM »
You're a keeper Gadget, wish there were more of you.

When I ease to the side of our lane on the motorway, my wife always says "Is there a motorbike coming behind?"

Offline denis

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 08:57:34 PM »
Hi Steve, Denis at Philip Island. Have a bike at Rotorua will be over early next year so will give you a call as Di and oneself love doing trips. Will give you our NZ mobile number when we book. Love the gorge to Gisborne best. Will give you a call when coming over. Denis Diane.

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 09:52:48 PM »
Opotiki to Gisbourne is another I'd love to do on a bike.

Cheers,
Gary
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 06:13:21 PM »
Yeah, the Waioeka Gorge from Opotiki to Gisborne is one of the rides I want to do.  Then From Napier/Hastings over the 'Gentle Annie' to Taihape.  Back up to Taupo and down the Napier-Taupo road to Napier, down the east coast from Napier to Wellington,  the road from Wanganui to Taumaranui, back up the western side of Lake Taupo and the Waikato river.  Just to start with.

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »
So many good roads, so little time.

Cheers,
Gary
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Offline Wolfrider

• Nana rider
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 04:50:58 PM »
Hi Old Steve, should be up for something in Feb sometime.
What the..?

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 05:19:15 PM »
WolfRider,

I am now an ex motorcyclist following a slow speed off, dislocated shoulder and broken thumb.

Sorry, my riding days are over.

Regards

Steve

Offline Wolfrider

• Nana rider
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 06:45:20 PM »
Sorry to hear that Old Steve, was yours the dark green ST?
What the..?