Author Topic: Travels of the NZ OzSTOC Flag - In New Zealand  (Read 4038 times)

Offline RGardner

• Rob NZ
  • ST1300 ABS
Travels of the NZ OzSTOC Flag - In New Zealand
« on: August 13, 2015, 05:25:27 PM »
For those who know Mike Hyde, the author of the Twisting Throttle motorcycle books, his funeral was held in Christchurch on 7 Aug 2015. I knew him very well so went down for it and then on to Dunedin to visit our oldest son at Otago Uni.
I had the NZ OzSTOC flag with me so here’s a brief record of the 5-day 2,000km mid-winter trip from Palmerston North to Dunedin and back:

Was planning on coming back via the inland Lindus & Lewis Passes but they were too icy. Had to take the coastal road there and back instead.

Seal colony on the Kaikoura Coast. Cute little things and a great piece of riding road.

Mike Hyde’s famous Twisting Throttle V-Strom. A very big funeral for a really great guy. (Brain tumour at the age of 58)

Headed south from Christchurch the next morning but was forced to have an hour’s layover in Ashburton to wait for the temperature to get above zero and the slush to melt a bit. I couldn’t feel my fingers well enough to get the OzSTOC flag out of the glove compartment for this picture!

Dunedin’s Baldwin Street – The world’s steepest street. It was all black ice that morning so didn’t attempt riding to the top.

Royal Albatross colony out on the Otago Peninsular. They’d earlier flown off into the Southern Ocean where it must have been warmer!

Dunedin’s historic railway station. Having an ST 1300 parked out the front really does smarten up the architecture…

The sun came out for the return trip through Kaikoura – At one point it even got to 7 degrees and I could get by with just one layer of gloves.

Beauty of travelling at this time of year is there’s no competition for the Picton Ferry tie-down points.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 05:40:27 PM by RGardner »
Rob NZ

The following users thanked this post: saaz, ST2UP, Abe, Sailor Sid

Offline Gadget

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Just Ridin'
Re: Travels of the NZ OzSTOC Flag - Palmerston North to Dunedin
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 06:29:50 PM »
Great photos and thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear the sad news regarding Mike.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
Re: Travels of the NZ OzSTOC Flag - Palmerston North to Dunedin
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:40:05 PM »
Sad news indeed, but a good report. Normally I would say that's not cold but I am getting used to 20 overnight and over 30 during the day 😈
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline RGardner

• Rob NZ
  • ST1300 ABS
Re: Travels of the NZ OzSTOC Flag - In New Zealand
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 05:57:47 PM »
Nothing wrong with the weather forecast last Wednesday so did an impromptu mid-week loop around the central North Island:
720km,
Palmerston North, Napier, Taupo, National Park, Wanganui and back to the start...

Windy day at Lake Taupo looking south towards the volcanoes

Mt Ruapehu got a bit over-exposed behind Chateau Tongararo
Rob NZ

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Offline Shaun

• Professor
  • Ride and Teach
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 06:05:43 PM »
Looks stunning.

I will have to jump the puddle some day.
:bl11 Blue 2001 ST1100 ABS Pan European (RIPieces) :(
New STeed: 2006 6th Gen VFR800Fi Sports Tourer

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 08:50:06 PM »
Awesome photos Rob, thanks for posting :hatwave
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 11:27:59 AM »
Nice little jaunt Rob, lunch at Te Poi perhaps?  Suppose the Gentle Annie (Napier to Taihape) would have been a bit daunting in September so you came back to Palmy via SH50 and then on down SH 2 to Woodville and through the Gorge.  I was brought up in Dannevirke.

700 km is a good day's ride in NZ, don't think these Aussies appreciate that our average speed is a bit slower than theirs because w have corners to take into account  :wink1

Have been back from central QLD for just under a year now, and there's a lot of roads I want to ride.  I've thought about AKL/Rotorua/Whakatane/Opotiki/Waioeka/Gisborne/Napier/Taihape/Te Hoi/home - that's a nice little ride too, about 1200 km so probably a long weekend.
At my age you realise something very important, then ten minutes later you've forgotten it.

Online Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 01:53:32 PM »
WOW what a great ride report thanks for sharing, shame about reason for it though

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 03:57:47 PM »

I've thought about AKL/Rotorua/Whakatane/Opotiki/Waioeka/Gisborne/Napier/Taihape/Te Hoi/home - that's a nice little ride too, about 1200 km so probably a long weekend.

That's a route I'd like to ride one day except I'd throw Tauranga in between AKL and Rotorua, some good roads that way too.
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline RGardner

• Rob NZ
  • ST1300 ABS
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 09:34:51 AM »
Nice little jaunt Rob, lunch at Te Poi perhaps?  Suppose the Gentle Annie (Napier to Taihape) would have been a bit daunting in September so you came back to Palmy via SH50 and then on down SH 2 to Woodville and through the Gorge.  I was brought up in Dannevirke.

Have been back from central QLD for just under a year now, and there's a lot of roads I want to ride.  I've thought about AKL/Rotorua/Whakatane/Opotiki/Waioeka/Gisborne/Napier/Taihape/Te Hoi/home - that's a nice little ride too, about 1200 km so probably a long weekend.

I've done the Gentle Annie in mid-Winter before but it's much better on a fine day. A five-hour loop from home in Palmerston North if I don't stop for coffee in Napier. It's now a great road surface sealed all the way with wide (fast) sweeping bends and very little traffic. Excellent riding in all but the worst of weather.

In regards to the Rotorua /Whakatane / Gisborne region, you can't go wrong with any of those roads. I've only done East Cape a couple of times though as that's got an awful lot of tight corners to test the shoulder muscles and 'slow the flow'.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 09:40:38 AM by RGardner »
Rob NZ

Offline Wolfrider

• Nana rider
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 01:06:42 PM »
I was fourtunate to see the OZSTOC flag heading south on the southern motorway yesterday around 9:10am just before the highland park off ramp on a black ST1300, was wondering who the rider is, they past me on my silver ST1100.  :slvr13   
What the..?