Author Topic: OzSTOC Rider down....  (Read 29470 times)

Offline RexJ

• Corinda, Qld
Re: OzSTOC Rider down....
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2013, 10:53:06 PM »
Second Poppy Dave's words. Whizz.

I had my medical trials last year. It's not fun and the days can be long, but as time is the price of healing, you WILL get there eventually.

(Not ride the bike again...???... steady on old chap.  :o Wot thuh)

Thoughts and prayers for you and the family.

Rex

Offline Tackleberry

• QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2013, 10:56:48 PM »
Whizz it's good to see you have a positive attitude buddy. 

Keep the good times rollin through your thoughts buddy, and keep telling yourself you're gonna get back on the bike, whether you ride, or pillion mate.  You will get there. 

I'm sure the fellas in the south east will be more than willing to call in and annoy the hell out of you when you need a pick me up too. 
Steve
Only the guy in the glass matters..... 
Ride on Davo it's your road now.

Online StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2013, 07:48:21 AM »
Hang in there Paul.    Sometimes in life, shit happens ..... no one is to blame, it just happens, so hang in there and know that you have lots of family and friends to help you along the way.
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

BSA M21 600cc single (1948)
Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2013, 07:52:14 AM »
Hang in there man. That's rough! Glad you're ok ish though

Offline sargent

• Every days a new adventure
  • Legendary Member
  • ST Rider - Collector, NSW
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2013, 08:05:53 AM »
 :eek Yeah thats pretty bloody crap news allright.

Think Big and Aim High.  :thumb

Sure would be good to see you back on the STeed down the road somewhere real soon Paul.

Prayers of Strength and quick Recovery coming your way mate.  :wht11
Robert - White ST1100P (they're just better)

Offline Biggles

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2013, 08:56:47 AM »
I'm with Sarge- prayers for strength and recovery!
They're getting more clever all the time with treatments.  Maybe you will get to trial something new.
There's definitely an ST gathering on your lawn soon, so include that in your plans.
Blessings,
Bill
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2013, 10:04:35 AM »
Well Whizz, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  I love your tenacity in this fight, stay strong and when you need to, call to your friends for support, they/we are willing to be there for you  :beer
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »
Well its good to hear you are out of Hospital and have such a positive outlook, you WILL get back on the bike (it just might take a while)
As with everyone else Carrol and my thoughts and prayers are with you and if you need or want anything just ask and you with have it (within reason :well)
And whenever you feel like having a visit from some friends just let us know, nothing better the going for a ride to visit a good mate :hatwave

All the best
Shiney & Carrol
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline ruSTyEB

• Occasionally 2Up
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2013, 07:31:21 AM »
Keep up the fight....   A mate of mine had brain tumour (malignant) removed 12 years ago.  Because  of its position it cannot be fully removed.  Back then he was given a 5% chance of living  past 2 years.  He is defying the odds due to the leaps in medical technology keeping him alive.

Never loose hope and stay strong!
Martin
 -- 94 ST1100 R --
Made in Hamamatsu

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2013, 03:33:24 PM »
Paul,

I was really glad to hear you made it through the op.  :thumbsup

I hope too see you again soon.  I need you to get better because, do you know how long it has taken to find someone else with a similar career background AND who likes to ride bikes, that isn't a work colleague. :grin

When you're ready to have OzSTOC rock up, let us know, we will even bring our own food and drinks so as not to put you or Matylda out.  :popcorn

If it comes down to it, I'll pillion you if need be. 

Anyway, chin up old chap, all the best and look forward to seeing you soon and really keen to be going on more rides with you.

:beer
Gary

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ :blu13left
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2013, 04:21:48 PM »
All the best from Heather and I
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Streak

• Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2013, 05:07:24 PM »
Below is an update Whizz sent to Diesel and I, that he has allowed us to share:

Well, I've been home for a couple of days, I've slept like the dead, have enjoyed being out of hospital and at home and have spoken for some time with my family. I had a really good shower and my wife changed the bandages on my head, I love having my own nurse, with 30 years experience!!!! We shaved my head to #1 and refitted new dressings over what is still quite big, the scar looks like a giant question mark where they opened my skull to get the tumour out of there.

My arms are starting to recover a bit from the damage caused by the untold number of needles they stuck in me in both arms, one foot, right hip etc etc! and I've lost about 14 kilos in weight in the last 2 weeks, so probably about a kilo a day. I'm on a load of drugs most of which I don't understand, but while some affect me badly some don't. The worst is the Steroid, it makes me cry which makes me feel so dumb and childish, I have to take it to reduce the risk of seizures, but the quantity is reducing over the next few days to a minimum amount which hopefully won't affect me so much or so emotionally. I am also being considered for a new drug which should help me deal with the world, but it may cost me a big bunch for the first three sessions, after that it is on the public payment support system.

I am starting to feel somewhat recovered, the operation is over and I'm doing as much recovery as I can, as fast as I can. Yesterday my wife and I went back to the PA Hospital Department that deals with this whole case, and the first person I spoke to was the original surgeon who was very happy with what she achieved, she reckoned she got about 97-99% of the tumour out of my brain and is now saying that she and the rest of the surgeons/doctors/team will use Nuclear Radiation and Chemotherapy to try to deal with the rest of the thing. After that I talked to the Nuclear Doctor, then the Chemotherapy Doctor who basically explained the plan, which is Nuclear radiation treatment starting in about 3 weeks, then Chemotherapy starting a couple of weeks after that, which should all hopefully finish in a few months, then we'll see how well I get through it.

I can easily predict that I am likely to feel dreadful because of the level of the radiation and chemotherapy but I can promise you that I am going to do whatever I can to survive for as long as I can.

In a month or so when things start to recover a bit I will be very pleased to meet up with you guys for coffee etc, although I am not allowed to drive or ride anything for 3 months, so it might be a case of my wife driving me out to meet up with you when you have a weekend ride somewhere not to far away.

I want to thank you all for your support etc in a situation that seriously frightened the crap out of me, I have obviously never been this sick in my entire life and I am still having trouble coming to terms with exactly what my life is going to turn into and in what time period, but I don't think this is going to be a quick recovery, and I'm not sure for how long.

I wanted to send this personally to you two brilliant guys, just to let you know what happened, where things stand and where they are headed, but please feel free to publish it if you want. I really do appreciate all the support I got from the members, a simply champion group of blokes.

Cheers Guys
Paul Howard
(Whizz)
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2013, 06:16:44 PM »
Whizz

Whilst we have not yet meet, and we will !! ....I admire your spirt and conviction in tackling the struggle that lays ahead of you and your family.......and if you stumble in your stride, rest assure their is an abundance of OzSTocers willing to drag you to your feet and propel you in the direction you seek.

All our best thoughts with you mate.....

Cheers

Chris
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline sargent

• Every days a new adventure
  • Legendary Member
  • ST Rider - Collector, NSW
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2013, 10:51:19 PM »
I stand beside a long group of people that will be there to have coffee with you when you are able too....
All the best and prayers again for a speedy recovery.
Robert - White ST1100P (they're just better)

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2013, 11:55:47 PM »
Whizz, we too have never met but we have exchanged posts on this forum. But that's not to say that there are no feelings toward your situation.

I feel for you, wish you all the best and stand with the guys and gals who are your OzSTOC Family, who sincerely wish you a speedy recovery and only want to see you well again.

I'm sure there's an army of OzSTOC'ers who would jump at the chance to help in any way, you don't even have to ask, just give the nod.

Best wishes Whizz, rest, recover, get better, all is waiting for you, we're not going anywhere, we'll still be here when you come back.

Michael (Sabie)
(Sabie pronounced Sab bee)

2004 Honda ST1300 Blue (Current)
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS 650 Classic (Current)
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T VL 800
2007 Yamaha XV 250 Virago
1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s
1974 Honda Elsinore MT 250

Offline youngSTer

• young one
  • BMW R1200RT
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2013, 03:19:02 AM »
Whizz, keep on going, my prayers are with you until this thing is defeated.
Bless you both.
Tony (young one)
Sometimes I pretend to be NORMAL,
but it gets boring,So I go back to being Me!

Bikes I've had;
Suzuki K10 80cc.
B.S.A. Bantam.
Honda CB450.
Suzuki Savage.
Honda SL100.
Honda Postie Bike.
Honda ST1300A. Best of All. GONE & SOLD
Honda CB 500X. New to my Stable. GONE & SOLD.
NOW BMW R 1200 RT

Offline royst1100

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2013, 07:30:46 AM »
looking forward to meeting up when the time is right
regards
           Royce

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2013, 07:47:50 AM »
Whizz, I am not on steroids but I am still emotional reading your note above,  you are not alone, there is a lot of support here for you an your family. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Laurie
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2013, 09:34:43 AM »
 :wht11 py
Hey Mate, it is good to hear that you are beginning your recovery with such strong thoughts, as a lot of us know the hardest thing to handle is such mighty big change to our lives and the greatest enemy to recovery is the dreaded black dog disease.....
So remember mate that we are all hear for you and even chatting online can help raise ones spirits.
I know it does for me,,,,,and we will be having coffee sooner than you think, and if that does not scare the crap out you nothing will.  :grin

Tipsy

I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

Offline Sicman

• RTE Coordinator
  • Was here when the lights got turned on :-)
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2013, 12:33:28 PM »
Whizz - Glad to hear your on the way to a recovery. Our prayers are with you that it will be a full recovery :thumb Small steps lead to big strides so here's hoping that your positive attitude will make the hard days seem further and further apart  :wink1

Cheers

Tony

:slvr13
Cheers
Tony
FarRider 802
NatRally's - 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 202🤬, 2🤬21, 2021/22 Black Dog bit me, 2023, 2024
Experience trumps assumption :-)

Offline RexJ

• Corinda, Qld
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2013, 07:41:59 PM »
Soldier on Paul.  The biggest part of recovery is to be determined to do whatever it takes to get there. Forget time - it takes care of itself.

You've got an army of support out here. Get well soon and come join us.

God bless.

Rex (family and church)

Offline Barry and Marissa

• ST Legend
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2013, 07:56:04 AM »
Hi Whizz,
Mate I don't get on here often enough to keep up with all that's happening in Ozstoc land of late. Marissa and I are very sorry to hear of your health problems and we want to pass on our best wishes for a positive outcome.

B & M
Barry and Marissa :) :)

Barry 2012 VFR800 Red.
Marissa 2011 VFR800 Red.

Offline WendyL

• RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Extremely nice person, angelic even....
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2013, 04:34:22 PM »
Hi Whizz,

I've been punished for not being on the forum anywhere near enough.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.  You can beat this beast.  It's going to be tough, but just stay positive.

All the best.

Wendy
:KissBlow
Wendy
2005 ST1300
FarRider #913

Offline Sabie

• Riding a Blue Angel
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2013, 05:01:43 PM »
Hi Whizz,

I've been punished for not being on the forum anywhere near enough.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.  You can beat this beast.  It's going to be tough, but just stay positive.

All the best.

Wendy

Not hijack the thread,  :hijacked but I think you've had good reason Wendy...
(Sabie pronounced Sab bee)

2004 Honda ST1300 Blue (Current)
2007 Yamaha VStar XVS 650 Classic (Current)
2011 Suzuki Boulevard C50T VL 800
2007 Yamaha XV 250 Virago
1980 CX500 Red
1980 CX500 Black
1979 CX500 Blue
1981 Honda XL 500s
1982 Yamaha XZ 550
1981 Honda XL 250s
1974 Honda Elsinore MT 250

Offline Streak

• Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2013, 03:57:28 PM »
Visit to Whizz Sunday 16th June

Thought is best to add this to this thread rather than start a new one.

As you all know Whizz has some life changes recently and has been unable to ride his bike, or do much of anything recently....so Diesel and I arranged with Whizz (and Mrs Whizz), to go for a visit and say hello.

Hopped up and headed for Ipswich, took the slab as it was a quick run down and back, as I was leaving Toowoomba, diesel rang and had broken down, so I had to fly solo for once (kinda strange really).

Easy run down of about an hour, pulled into whizz's driveway and saw a very excited man! It was get to see whizz, and I have to say mrs whizz put on great food, diesel missed out I can tell you!

After trading a few stories I presented whizz with a 2013 Rally shirt as he was coming to rally until he had the health change

Then I took Whizz's very Nice 2003 ST1300 for a ten min Lap to turn the wheels over as well

All in all it was great to see Whizz, and with everything happening that he has a positive face on  :thumb

For health updated I will let him tell you all about it if he is comfortable doing so.

Cheers

Streak

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63