Author Topic: FarRiders  (Read 5591 times)

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
FarRiders
« on: January 02, 2012, 10:00:11 PM »
I've been asked my opinions of The FarRides group rather than hyjack another thread i thought I'd put it here.
Hi Scarp, could you perhaps, offer some info on far riders.
I viewed the site and it looks remarkably simarlar to this one.
I am just interested in rides that take in more than the local cafe.. no offence to those who enjoy this style of ride and kudos to those of you who do.
I do however, require more at times.
What I veiwed re the forthcoming 2012 ride left me a little ambivalent because there appears to be more politics than I require.

Just wondering

If you have the time and inclination to reply, it would be appreciated

@scarp - same here. PM me if it's easier and I'll catch up with you ;-)

Well FarRiders http://farriders.com/index.php as I know it (BTW ) make sure you spell it right or you'll be shouting the bar at thier next ride, was started by Davo Jones a fellow banana bender as yourself.
As it is the Aussie arm of the Iron Butt Association http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm it follows their rules somewhat
Basically there is usually a 500km ride to the event & 500kms back this is not set in concrete, tho what you must do to be considered a finisher is to complete 1000kms within a particular time frame. Which is posted on the FarRiders Website prior to the ride.
I was on the forum for 3 years before I went on my first FarRide I thought at the time that the rules were a bit picky however, as someone had said to me don't go on a FarRide if all your doing it for is to become a FarRider (& I thought that was the point)
I spoke to Davo at some length on this he encouraged me to go on my first ride
Yes they have rules & as they say if it's not for you then I guess don't go, but having met a lot of the guys over here they are a good bunch with a wealth of knowledge on long distance riding. If you like long distance rides & your own company coz this is not a group ride, then I encourage you to give it a go.
Any one else on the Forum have some input?
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Offline Carrelli

• ST Legend
Re: FarRiders
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 10:11:36 PM »
Thank you Scarp
funds are not such that i might shout the bar, so farriders it is.. good info

Apache

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:42:13 PM »
^^^^ agreed

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 11:12:08 PM »
I did my first Farride last year to Walkaway. They are great in so much as you get out of the city and enjoy your STead and the scenery.

:blu13
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 11:54:29 PM »
Hi,

And I thought riding back from Karratha to Adelaide (4000kms +/-) in four days back in December 2007 was just normal. Farride, I don't think so....lol

I Finished work on the 20th December, left on the 21st and got back home Christmas eve. I wouldn't recommend any one to do that as I was totally buggard, well at least saddlesore.

On the 2nd Jan 2008 I left home for the return trip back to work at a more relaxed ride and took 6 days.

At least the good ol'  :bl11 is one of the right bikes for that sort of trip.

:bl11

Alan
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 08:00:36 AM »
I also am a farrider member. I went on a couple of their rides without registering as I just wanted to do some of the rides.  I eventually decided to at least do a few qualifying 1000kms RTEs (ride to eats) as I was doing them anyone by going with others.  Makes a good excuse to get out all over Australia and learn from those who have done it a lot. Great network of people.  I may do some of the IBA longer distances, then again I may not.  I ride for pleasure first with not much thought for achieving set goals, but do try and set goals me me that matter.

A few of the others on here have done these IBA rides so can perhaps say what it is about for them.  I think if you have to ask why, perhaps you just won't understand the answer!
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 10:18:32 AM »
Just in case you haven't clicked Scarps link above I have quoted a bit from it and added below (in blue); 

Can I explain it? not sure, but whatever my reasons are, it will be different for you.  Why do people jump out of planes, climb mountains, kayak down whitewater rivers, crawl around inside the earth, drive racing cars, ride their bike to the local coffee shop, ride horses over long distances and a whole myriad of other things that some of us just can't understand.......but the person doing it does.  Isn't that the point?

As a metaphor, just for me "maybe its about where I have been and where I am now going"

To me there is just a smidgen more to Long Distance Riding (LDR)  than just hopping onto your bike and riding off.  Sure, there are lots of riders who can do just that and arrive at their destination.  Me, well I like to add in a bit of planning..... where are the refueling locations and will they be open when I get there, what fuel do they have? do they take a plastic card or is it cash? does my bike have the capacity to make it to the next refueling point as I am now traveling at 110 and not 100 bugger I am now using more fuel, what about my own body clock when do I know that I will get tired (its actually around 2pm) so I can plan a 40min power nap, where are the locations that I can camp if I need to?  Have I made a safe riding plan, can I ride to it and complete the challenge I have given myself?  Haven't mentioned what I add to the bike or the equipment that I wear. This is just a snippet of what I do for a long distance ride.

You will notice I used "me, I, myself" a bit, well that is 'cause it is about me  :)

The use of the terms FarRider, FarRide,  hmmmm, how many times do you spell your own name incorrectly (rhetorical question) ?  Out of respect for the man, "Davo" Jones, (RIP) who established FarRiders, I will continue to attempt to spell it correctly.

From the website quoted by Scarp:
Why ride long distance?

There are many reasons why riders choose to ride long distances; if you need to ask then it's probably not for you. Talk to a FarRider one day and see the love of the road and riding that shines in their eyes.

Some years ago a friend asked our founder: "Davo, I am amazed. How do you get all these people to ride a 1000-kms-day just to have a meal?"
Davo replied: "Fact is I don't; they were always out there, I just give them a destination and they come. It's like that movie 'Field of Dreams' - if you build it they will come."

... as FarRiders say: "...it's just a road!"

Please note: We are not about speed-records! Our aim is purely at safe and consistent long distance riding! We will not accept "hoons" or "cowboys"!

End of Quote.

Sorry just to add something from the Iron Butt Association (IBA) regarding LDR:

"Please remember that Iron Butt Association is dedicated to the sport of safe, long-distance motorcycle riding. It does not condone nor will it tolerate unsafe activities such as excessive speed, reckless motorcycle operation, riding while fatigued or otherwise impaired, the use of stimulants to maintain alertness, or any other activity that results in riders exceeding their personal limits. Any rider found to have engaged in these or other unsafe activities, as determined in the sole discretion of the IBA, while participating in an event organized or sanctioned by the IBA, shall be subject to disqualification not only from that event but from future events. Such disqualification may occur retroactively if the unsafe activity is revealed after the conclusion of the event. For these purposes, the IBA will consider as an admission of violating this policy any public statements made by the participant that describe participation in unsafe activities during an organized or sanctioned IBA event."
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:49:18 AM by tj189 »
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

rendog

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 10:36:36 AM »
Go for a ride, or go for a long ride.
Go by yourself, or hook up with some others.
Stop and have a feed, drink & speak to fellow riders (not on ST's  |-i)
Go for another long ride.
No politics there brother, just the freedom to ride - or not.
Rules are rules and only for people who want to qualify for FarRider status.

Oh and by the way they do accept hoons - cause I'm in :wink1
Cheers rendog
FarRider #507

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 12:36:01 PM »
Go for a ride, or go for a long ride.
Go by yourself, or hook up with some others.
Stop and have a feed, drink & speak to fellow riders (not on ST's  )
Go for another long ride.
No politics there brother, just the freedom to ride - or not.
Rules are rules and only for people who want to qualify for FarRider status.

What Rendog said pretty well sums it up.

A great ride. Company for an hour, then more riding.

Mantastic. :runyay

Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

terrydj

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 03:43:54 PM »
I did a Faride once down to Nambucca Heads I think? Met up with TJ189 on the way. You see I knew Davo when he never had a bike. Met him when he came to sell me house for me just out of Cooroy. My lady and me had just come back from Adelaide in one hit and when we were talking about it with him he kinda doug it.
When he started Fariders he asked me to do a ride from memory down to Mooree, but I thought what for???
I had just rode back from Cannes and me last stint was 1400 kays or so and when I got home I said to the lady well Davo had another couple of hundred to do as he was in the States at the time doing the Iron Butt thing.
The next day I learned he had had the accident so I decided to do the Faride I had once promissed him. Kind like in his memory
For me its all the stuff I see on the way, the places I stop and the people I meet when I'm doing the distance that makes it all worthwhile, but I met too many Fariders that reckoned it was the ammount of distance that was important, and the first thing they would say was, and how far have you rode, I rode further than that,  or I Know someone who rode further????
You know in 1974 I was 150 kays east of Melbourne and rang up my lady and said I will see you in a few days. I left around the 6pm mark and the next day I picked her up for lunch.
Hmmmmmmmmmm Morwell Victoria to Canungra in Queensland, 18hrs (1800 Kays). Yeah in the army, superfit and sped the whole way. The old Yammy 500 would get a 100 miles to the tank then I'd have to fill her up.
If the Fariders deal is for you well go for it. Me I just like to plod on up the road and take what time I need to enjoy whats on offer, not worry about how many kays I'm doing and how long I have to do it  8)
And Rendog, you are right on the ball mate
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:45:36 PM by terrydj »

Offline Carrelli

• ST Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
Terrydj, that is a good writup and I enjoyed reading it, as I have , the other posts to date.
It would seem you people are passionate about something that is close to my heart.... freedom, individuality, appreciation of what, who and where you are, and loving the fact that all of these things can be heightened when veiwed from the saddle of your bike...ANY bike!
I have been associated with a few forums over the past few months due to the various bikes that I am lucky enough to own, but none have given me the feeling of being "home", as much as this site,  i.e ST's and now, "distance riders".

I have read every thing to date that has been posted, and feel an empathy.
I particularly liked the reference to the fact that a long ride needs not be structured, because it is about the ride, companionship and common understanding.
Not the distance.

Most weekends, I am out there on one of my sport bikes, at times breaking the rules ( sometimes, several at the same time ).
I offer no apology to anyone for the way/way's I choose to ride.
Am I a bad person because of this?
No
I am a good person who sometimes breaks rules.
But never,  before I have considered the options/ risks/ consequences. I do what I do and take full responsibility for my actions.

Same with the distance rides I have enjoyed. There are roads that are best ridden within the posted limit.
And there are roads that are suited to more.

I have ridden with many different types of groups and as a consequence, now prefer to ride alone, or, with people very closely associated with my ride style and experience. It is so much safer....
Am I an habitual lawbreaker?
No, I am a rider that understands that always obeying the rules can sometimes get you dead very quickly

Anyway, I'm not sure that I have exspressed myself correctly or with pertinence to the ongoing topic but I will post and find out :whistle
I am Not attempting to flame Anyone by the way nor imply disagreement with anything previuosly posted. Quite the opposite.
However I do understand that my veiws might be in opposition to some, and I fully respect that.

I love riding, in fact I have just spent an hour and a half finding a way to secure two ducati 996 wheels to the ST for a trip to Brisbane tomorrow ( about 45 minutes!) , for new tyres.... I so do not want to drive  :cuss
I am 56 years old and have been riding since I was 16.

Be safe
Carrelli

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 05:31:25 PM »
Hi,

And I thought riding back from Karratha to Adelaide (4000kms +/-) in four days back in December 2007 was just normal. Farride, I don't think so....lol

I Finished work on the 20th December, left on the 21st and got back home Christmas eve. I wouldn't recommend any one to do that as I was totally buggard, well at least saddlesore.

On the 2nd Jan 2008 I left home for the return trip back to work at a more relaxed ride and took 6 days.

At least the good ol'  :bl11 is one of the right bikes for that sort of trip.

Alan

One thing I forgot to mention here.

While living in Karratha I had a couple trips to Perth (1600 kms one way) and when ever I mentioned to friends we were going to Perth we'd be asked what flight we'd be on or can we take you to the air port.
I all ways remember the surprised look on their faces when you tell ém  you're riding.

So for me it's about the journey, not the destination. I think to many people today see it the other way around. Their loss, not mine.

Alan
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »
Hey there Carrelli, I think you have just said how I feel as well. each to their own. If you choose to participate in things just fine, if not ust fine as well.  Some days you may feel like doing people stuff, other days just to yourself.  I know some will have opposite views to some things you have said, but they can.  You are 3 years older than me you old bugger!!
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Carrelli

• ST Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 08:06:51 PM »
people who know me say I look five years younger than you sazz  :nahnah

Thanks for the reply mate. Of course, I do understand that within the power of freedom of speech, is the unspoken law, at least in my veiw, of softly softly.
Never intend to hurt anyone, nor slight, nor ignore...
Sounds like a proverb but I just thought this.
It is how I try to co exist, however, there are some very intent individuals out there...
Basicaly, we believe what we believe until someone comes along with a key, and poof!, you begin to understand, and then follow, and then believe something else..maybe

My rule for Me is

I will Ride to my ability less  50% .. dependent upon company....on a social ride
Up the ante to perhaps 20% on anything else, but Always... always, I attempt to ride within my ability ..... end of story
Life is simply too precious

Offline Carrelli

• ST Legend
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 08:27:12 PM »
By the way, what I neglected to say, and this is a point very worthy of consideration, is :
I equipe my bikes with the best rubber that I can afford, and that rubber is fitted with the desired style of riding in mind.
For example, my st1100 is fitted with the latest avons.. and these suckers cost me more than a set of sport tyres!

And I wear good gear.

But above all else, I Never consider my tyres or gear as the first defense

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 09:55:15 PM »
Mate, I would hope that my explanation of what LDRing is for me has not been taken out of context.  As I said it is about me and what I enjoy, hang on.....that's what we are all saying isn't it :thumbs
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 10:08:37 PM »
Sounds about right to me  :)
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Offline Carsten

• Carsten
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 06:29:53 AM »
Hi,
I've done 6 Farrides and an IBA (1600/24hrs) in Tassie.  The most satisfying times are planning and riding the distances, its also a reason to go for a long ride and catching up with like minded people.  Normally you wouldnt take the time.  There is a wealth of information from the riders re: locations, equipment.  Invaluable for my trip to WA in MAR 2011.
Thanks
Carsten
Farride No 194
IBA 42038

Offline Gavo

• Double STowner no longer only an 04 ST 1300A
  • Legendary Member
  • Hoddys Well Toodyay WA
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 02:30:34 PM »
I am now

Just done west 18 Broad Arrow Tavern 1145 kms

Rob
Undercover HVAC Tech
All round nice guy so i believe
Also have now been told !

"We are all in it together"  Harry Tuttle.

STOC #8508
FR#601 

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 03:54:49 PM »
Good on you.  :thumb
John
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Carsten

• Carsten
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 04:06:58 PM »
Well done.  Hope the weather was good?  Probably better than this weekends Tassie Farride.  Being the Tassie coordinator I can pick the dates and location just not the weather.  Look forward to seeing your number in the members list.

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »
well done Gavo  :-++
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Turtle

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 07:12:20 PM »
Well done also Gavo and nice to meet you on the ride :thumb

See you at the Border in August

Turtle

Offline Gavo

• Double STowner no longer only an 04 ST 1300A
  • Legendary Member
  • Hoddys Well Toodyay WA
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 07:12:42 PM »
Now can i add it was a total round trip of 1700kms

Just to sound my own horn
Rob
Undercover HVAC Tech
All round nice guy so i believe
Also have now been told !

"We are all in it together"  Harry Tuttle.

STOC #8508
FR#601