Author Topic: Best Bike GPS Suggestions  (Read 30828 times)

Offline Couch

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
Re: Best Bike GPS Suggestions
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 08:32:16 PM »
Marcus..........is that the Migsel dash mount????????????
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt

Offline Couch

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 07:55:49 AM »
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 08:01:20 AM »
Options...my good man, you can't have enough options :p

Offline Couch

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 08:35:25 AM »
Wow.......that's good buying Nick!   It looks like a good unit..........not waterproof without the aqua box but much cheaper than Zumo.

Just bought a garmin 765 on eBay seen here for a bargain price http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250911903329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_9250wt_922. Now going to buy a ram aqua box and mount. Add a hard wire power cable and will be sorted for less than 250 bucks  :thumbs

Offline Nick

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 09:21:54 PM »
Garmin 765, check... Ram aqua box, check... Just waiting on my cable to hard wire my unit and my shelf to mount it on. Initial setup will be gps via built in FM transmitter to unused FM channel on my radio until cashola arrives for starcom1 setup. Have tested it and works great. Anyone seeking a cheaper alternative to zumo option should take a look. Aqua box is big in comparison to zumo on it's own but no issues with function at this stage. Have read that sun glare can be a big issue however not planning on staring at my gps whilst riding... Garmin 765 does everything I need. MP3 and bluetooth for phone included.... :grin

Offline Nick

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2011, 07:21:04 PM »
Ok- Everything here now and all wired in/fitted. After the snowy ride I can report that I am very happy with my setup. GPS a little difficult to see in bright sunlight however not an issue because was more focused on the road ahead. Rained on the way home and aqua box did as it should and remained water tight. No issues with over heating with my GPS. Audio instructions remained crystal via the FM transmitter and my radio. Might not look as pretty as the zumo setup but is a heck of a lot cheaper and does the job.

Offline Poppy Dave

• Teller of Untellable Jokes
  • Midland, WA
    • Dave Roper
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2011, 11:16:12 PM »
I had a phone call from a friend today, Sunday 06/11, who had been to the Motorcycle Show and he told me that there was a couple there selling GPS's, with a Lifetime Warranty for about $250. He grabbed one of their cards.

He's going to e-mail me the details so as soon as I get them I'll stick them on a Thread. Sorry guys, don't know ANY further details apart from this but I'll keep you posted.

Dave R            :wht13

Dave R
Honda ST1100A
Suzuki Boulevard C50
STOC # 8241
SAC-PAV A/501

We know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows.

Offline innet57

• ST Freak
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2011, 01:54:35 AM »
Just bought a garmin 765 on eBay seen here for a bargain price http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250911903329?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_9250wt_922. Now going to buy a ram aqua box and mount. Add a hard wire power cable and will be sorted for less than 250 bucks  :thumbs

Just a point on running on battery rather than hard wire - that's fine for one day, but unless you're staying in motels or somewhere with power, you're buggered on the second day. My Garmin never leaves the RAMS cradle on the ST unless I switch it to my DR650 or occasionally the car. That security screw pisses me to take on and off often. If I had to do it to charge it every night my patience would be at an end. Besides it would chew into my drinking time. Nothing beats hard wiring - I just hooked in from the battery, ran the wire up under the seat and tank and then fiddled a bit to get it through the cowling and up the bars. It's been in use for four and a bit years now without drama.
Wayne Tenni
If this is as good as it gets .... it ain't too bad.

Offline innet57

• ST Freak
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2011, 01:57:04 AM »
So I've just installed my TomTom GPS and took at for it test run with a couple of guys...

So all in All it went really well. I left it on all day yesterday and the ride today. So about 8 or so hours on the battery. So I'm thinking I don't need to get it hard wired in. Which is good news.
Also it measured my speedo as being around 10km under, which is confirmation on what I originally thought.

Sorry, picked the wrong quote on the response below.
Wayne Tenni

Offline Aj1300

• aj1300
  • KTm
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 07:31:30 PM »
Hi Marcus , I have the Tom Tom rider pro, I also have a car kit for it. I have made a bracket that goes between my handle bars, I have enough room to get my key in and out. I haven't used the blue tooth yet, the unit works well.
My bike also runs 10 k's slow according to Tom .I find it good because it show you the bend in the road.
Cheers Aj  :blk13
Adam aj1300/ KTM

Offline innet57

• ST Freak
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 08:43:29 PM »
You'll find your speedo is reading 10k over at 100k and the margin increases the faster you go over that. Trust your GPS as the more accurate source. If you do use the speedo at least you should be safe from speeding tickets, but it's going to take longer to reach your destination than it would at the correct speed limit.
Wayne Tenni