Author Topic: Strange electrical problems after trying to install the Lighten Upgrade LED kit  (Read 565 times)

Offline ArthurG59

• ST Legend
I have a 2004 ST1300A. 110000 KLM, been running and performing flawlessly.
I have been gradually been upgrading the bike as I have decided to keep it Sunk too m much in now to sell her).

Any way, I bought a Lighten upgrade LED kit from Mark in the UK who has sold of 100,s of LED upgrade kits for ST1300's. I read the instructions closely and watched his You Tube instruction's and followed them to the letter. The goal is to have clear indicator lenses with switchback LEDS that are solid white until the indicator is activated, then they flash amber. the side lights are upgraded to LEDS as well.

I replaced the flasher relay - first step, i did remove some of the other relays before I realized I didn't need too, and carefully replaced them.

then it was screen off, mirrors off, black cover on from cowl off, instruments off, and I then ran the single wire and twin connector harness Mark supplies to pick up the solid indicator connections that are there but not used on the Euro spec bikes. and installed the switch back LED equipped mirror covers

I did remove the speakers and boxes from the Honda line radio I de installed when I bought the bike. the power from the quartet harness had long been disconnected. I was pretty careful up in this front cowl area and I can't see how I would have disturbed anything significant?

I then turn on the ignition per the instructions - success? solid indicators amber not white- odd  , flashing both sides and hazard flash.

BUT no head or side lights!

Turned off the Ignition, indicator lights stay on as did the tail light.  Keys in and out, check not on the accessory position.
had to disconnect the battery.

I have now reversed the flasher relay to original and replaced the incandescent indicators. the led side lights are still in ( hard to see how they could contribute) and removed the day light running harness.

I have carefully checked on the left hand side of the bike relays and some fuses- head lights etc all OK.

The bike will crank and I hear the fuel pump prime.  But the bike will not start or run. Usually fires up instantly.
the screen will also not move.

Still no headlights or sidelights and the indicators and tail lights stay on solid when the ignition is off and the key removed!
The indicators stay on solidly even with the flasher relay removed. Headlights are off whether main , dip, or pass.

Given the bike worked perfectly in all aspects before including switch gear I have clearly un settled some thing vital.

I welcome your diagnostic suggestions - I have a Haines manual and have done a forum search - I see a member in 2019 has the same symptom's indicators on solidly - tail light on, removing key ignition off - no change - had to disconnect the battery - but the final diagnosis and outcome isn't clear.

I have been focusing in the relay area on the reasonable assumption I have re installed the 4 I displaced incorrectly. hasn't helped. I cant see anything obvious out or place or wrong up under the front cowl area.

Why would any electrical components stay live after the ignition is turned off? things like the 12 V socket etc I get, but indicators & tail lamp?

I value my old ST and would very grateful for your wisdom and experience to right these wrongs I have caused.

Arthur - Hamilton NZ

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
The relays should not matter, they are interchangeable, and only go in one way.

Cant help much with the lighting kit, as I am not familiar with it.

Try charging the battery, it doesnt take long for it to go flat with the engine off.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline ArthurG59

• ST Legend
Thanks - Yes noticed that and charged the battery. Update the fuel pump is not priming.

When the battery is reconnected the indicators and tail lamps are off. when the ignition is switched on the indicators and tail lamps come on and stay on when the ignition is off.

Not sure where to start - but need to see what there is no current to the head lights, side lights, and screen etc.

I didn't go anywhere near the bank angle indicator or its wiring but it can cut off some of these functions.
Bike still cranks though.

Online PC

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
Hi Arthur
I am no sparky but when I have experienced lights being on like you described with a trailer it is always been an earth problem
my other thought is maybe a coincidence but has the ignition switch pooped it self or a disturbance in it’s wiring
Hope this is helpful
Peter

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
Here is a similar issue with the outcome being a dodgy wire in the 4 pin plug connected to the wiring going to the ignition barrel.

http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=10693.0

It might be worth looking at :think1

My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline ArthurG59

• ST Legend
Thanks, I am starting to suspect it must be ignition related as there is no power to many functions. Especially with those weird solid indicator and tail lamp symptoms.

Another member has pointed out that the relays should not matter. I have reversed the upgrade I was installing and none of it was invasive.

it seems really odd, but I am going to try an investigate the various Earth connections. And  Ignition Barrel wiring
in your experience will I need to remove it? or can I test in situ? I have a multi meter and 1/2 an idea how to use it.

I am anticipating I may need to lift and slide back the tank top better get at the Inition wiring.

Grateful for your experience and input.

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
Hi ArthurG59,

The ignition wiring runs from the bottom on the ignition barrel, under the left fairing to the 4 pin plug as can be seen in the following pictures:

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

The following users thanked this post: Jdbiker, ruSTynutz, Dragonstaff

Online West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Willetton, Perth
Maybe worthwhile reading this thread:- http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=13796.0
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline ArthurG59

• ST Legend
Thanks everyone- very helpful - I will have a another look tonight.

Photos always especially welcome.

Offline ArthurG59

• ST Legend
 ++ :13Candy
OK so after following the advice of eSTeemed ST community I can confirm that the strange and severe electrical problems were to do with the yellow multiple earth block up under the nose fairing. As the bike had been running perfectly before the began the latest farkle install, i worked out I must have knocked the yellow multi earth terminal when I changed the side light bulb, that was all it took.

So thanks everyone. The old girl is roaring in the garage again. Oh the bike starts runs and the lights work as well.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, ruSTynutz, Dragonstaff

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
Great news!  :runyay

2005 Honda ST1300A