Author Topic: New wire rope barriers ‘more dangerous'  (Read 1117 times)

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
New wire rope barriers ‘more dangerous'
« on: April 15, 2020, 12:47:09 AM »
BY MARK HINCHLIFFE

Higher and “more dangerous” wire rope barriers (pictured) will soon replace the current WRBs around Australia.

The BRIFEN MASH compliant cable barriers will supersede current NCHRP-350 systems that will be phased out from
30 September 2020 in NSW with other states set to follow.

Supplier Safe Direction say the Brifen system has been crash tested.

However, Motorcycle Safety Consultant John Nelson, 62, says the new barrier type is primarily designed for cars and SUVs.

“Crash testing for motorcycles would not have been done, simply because the outcomes are already known,” says John who has also been a rider trainer and crash analyst.

“I was shocked to see the new WRB design and wonder how Brifen can create a barrier system that is even worse for motorcyclists impacting the barrier directly.

To continue reading, click link...
https://motorbikewriter.com/new-wire-rope-barriers-more-dangerous/

2005 Honda ST1300A

Bodø

Re: New wire rope barriers ‘more dangerous'
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 04:51:59 AM »
There's another thread on rope wire barriers in here somewhere, and like I wrote on that one they've never really bothered me.

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 07:02:05 AM »
 :angry-old-man-smiley-emoticon.  I do not like the cheese cutter barriers, especially on curves.  Loosing a limb would be the minimal injury if you made contact.  The posts on some of these are A couple of inches outside of the wire.  You can slide along a solid barrier and get torn to pieces on these things
Richo

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 10:31:40 AM »
I'm actually not surprised they're changing to a "new" WRB...
I've said for some time now with the change to the style of vehicles we are now buying (more SUV's) that, to me, the current WRB didn't appear to be high enough...
It seems my assumption may have been right... :||||

While I hate the damn things I am surprised at times to see how often they get hit...especially on straight sections of road.
What doesn't surprise me is the time it takes (usually weeks or months) for these damaged sections to be repaired. Meanwhile the whole length is rendered useless!

My other concern is how here in Victoria at least, they place WRB's (at times) so close to road edges and also on curves which would appear to be against their own guidelines.

2005 Honda ST1300A