Author Topic: 2021-06-26 Macclesfield Ride To Eat  (Read 1727 times)

2021-06-26 Macclesfield Ride To Eat
« on: June 27, 2021, 06:39:28 AM »
I created yesterday's RTE in lieu of the Silverton RTE as I am still not prepared to cross any state borders.  Despite the weather, we had a good turn out for lunch.  Three ring-ins had left by the time we took group photos.

My day started with me checking out a few things I have spotted on my travels at work and thought I'll bring the bike out there one day.  The first is this huge chimney in the Adelaide CBD.  In recent times I have spotted a lot of old buildings/structures in the CBD that I have never batted an eyelid at before.

A co-worker had pointed this outside the Heart Foundation office before and to be honest from a bus window it didn't look overly impressive.  Up close was much better.

This church in Parkside is off the main drag but always catches my eye when I drive past.  From the front it is impossible to get the whole building in the one shot.  Trees are a bit of a hindrance but the houses on the opposite side of the road are too close.

I probably would never have noticed this except for having to stop at the bus stop right out the front of this house, but for some reason it has a torii (this shaped ⛩ Japanese shrine) out the front.  I wonder why. 

This replica church is in the Mount Lofty cemetry grounds in Uraidla.  I couldn't get the bike in there and the only safe place to park was on the other side of the road, otherwise I would have got some of the bike in the picture and played it in the "STs in front of small things* thread.

I rode through back streets of Saint George which were full of debris and thought the same thing Langers said about his traversing of Sturt Valley Road - probably wasn't the best idea given the weather we have had in recent days.  My only dirt road for the day was in Hahndorf (only a few hundred metres) before making my way to Littlehampton which is well know for its bricks and pavers.

Some random riders who road past when I was taking photos in Flaxley.

I already had photos of this sculpture in Macclesfield when I did the Hills Sculpture Trail on the easter weekend but after that I learned that the one in Nairne and Hahndorf swivel and this appears to have the same mechanism so i stopped to check if this too does rotate.  It does.  I dare say one of the Stirling ones does too.

No surprise the ride to the venue wasn't a straight line.  This is from my greenalp tracker.  I created a Spotwalla trip as well but like most recent trips bubbler/spotwalla missed lots of points including the 'messages' I actually sent.  I am getting tempted to uninstall both and just stick to Greenalp.

I snapped Stinky Pete and JB arriving at the venue.

It was my first time in the Maccy but I think Stinky Pete summed it up well.

It was a cold wintery day for a short RTE into the Adelaide Hills to the historic little town of Macclesfield.   It was my first visit to this pub, and the food was great, with lots of locals present, all warmed by several open fires.   I had cold rain most of the way home, and was pleased to be safely home after riding through wet conditions through the hills twisties.   Overall, a good day out.

The ride home was rather straight.  The only rain I copped on the way home what when I hit the freeway at Stirling.  There was bits of drizzle between Green Hills Range and Aldgate but nothing too severe until I hit the freeway.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 08:05:56 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Wild Rose, Lionel, Kev Murphy, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Offline richo

• Richo
  • Legendary Member
  • ST 2009
Re: 2021-06-26 Macclesfield Ride To Eat
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 08:28:10 AM »
Another good read.   Thanks
Richo

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 09:24:29 AM »
Thanks for the pics and words BG.

... in lieu of the Silverton RTE as I am still not prepared to cross any state borders ...

That's a shame as the NSW / VIC border crossings were really quite simpe in the end.  All that was needed to get into NSW was to complete an on-line declaration which stepped through various questions, if your responses complied with NSW requirements you received an email (which you were required to keep on your smart phone).  To get back into VIC, it was a similar process to get a permit. 

PC may be along soon to explain the process to back into QLD (he did seem frustrated with that when sitting in our Silverton cabin).

I'm not sure about crossings into SA.

... spotted a lot of old buildings/structures in the CBD that I have never batted an eyelid at before.

Yes, I've noticed that too.  For me, it's at least partially a result of travel restrictions.  As most of us are unlikely to be confident of unencumbered international travel until 2023, and the same for some interstate travel until perhaps 2022, we will need to explore and find what AUS, or our own States, have to offer.

On the way home from Silverton, I took the opportunity to explore a number of towns that I have previously ignored.  Stand by for some "where this" pics.  BTW, I seems that I'll need to provide some more clues to the locale of the Court House.
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

The following users thanked this post: Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 09:39:46 AM »
That's a shame as the NSW / VIC border crossings were really quite simple in the end.

It's more the uncertainty of not knowing what is going to happen.  JohnnyYted had a permit to go to WA but had it revoked a couple of days ago which I presume is because he was in NSW last weekend.  I didn't want to run the risk of being locked out of SA or having to self isolate when I got back, although with the work I do it's always a risk because you don't know who has been where.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 07:22:12 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Online Wild Rose

• Toowoomba, Qld
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 10:03:49 AM »
Great read Bodo  :thumb
Thanks for sharing  :thumbsup
Leo (Wild Rose)
Honda ST 1300
:rd13       :blk13                            :Spyder
 2002                            New 29-04-13 

Ulysses #49154
FarRider #243

Offline Shillas

• SA NatRally 2022
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Better Red than Dead
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 10:29:54 AM »

There's another church just down the road from this one. From memory, this is the Catholic one. The other has been converted into housing though, but done well. It may have been either Anglican or a variation of what is now Uniting.

This is the old Adelaide City Council incinerator. It's heritage listed, which is the reason it's still standing. Would make a great oven for the Greek on Halifax which is next to it. 😁

Shillas :13Candy

CB 125 - long gone
RD 200 - long gone
CB 250T - long gone
XJ 650 - reasonably long gone
XV 750 - reasonably long gone
VN 800 - gone
ST 1100 - recently gone
ST 1300 - In the garage

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Bodø

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 10:43:28 AM »
I rode down Young Street so past that second church first, but didn't stop for pics because I was more interested in the other one.  I'll probably go back another day.

I didn't know the incinerator was heritage listed.  Halifax Street is good for running out of service back to depot in the mornings, then right into Hutt.

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 10:57:20 AM »
... run the risk of being locked out ... having to self isolate ... work ...

Generally, sufficient notice has been provided for those traveling by road before lockdowns, certainly to allow time to travel back to your home state, and if only one border to cross (TAS excepted), and that's why my current trip planning only involves NSW, SA and VIC.

Self isolate - after 2020 Melbourne lockdowns (one was 112 days), two weeks self-isolate would just be an entrée.

Work - what's that?   If I did miscalculate a return travel time this is one element that I, and many others of us, do not need to worry about if we are ensure $$ come in (assuming there is a adequate super or pension cheque coming on a regular basis).  For the others, something to look forward to ... sooner or later.   
Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

The following users thanked this post: Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Bodø

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 05:06:19 PM »
There's another church just down the road from this one. From memory, this is the Catholic one. The other has been converted into housing though, but done well. It may have been either Anglican or a variation of what is now Uniting.

Pannier cam:

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Offline Dragonstaff

• Dave
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2021, 07:51:11 PM »
I didn't know the incinerator was heritage listed.

I remember an Aitchison cartoon of a hippy deep-breathing on Mt Lofty from when they burnt a large quantity of green herbiage there back in day. Late 70s I would guess.

Halifax Street is good for running out of service back to depot in the mornings, then right into Hutt.

You must be a bus driver. Played that game for a year or three.
THERE ARE OLD RIDERS, AND THERE ARE BOLD RIDERS, BUT THERE ARE DAMN FEW OLD AND BOLD RIDERS.

Keep the dirty side down.

2003 ST 1300
1984 1200 Goldwing
1981 GL 500 Silverwing
1980 CX500
(Not all bikes are running at the current time)

Bodø

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 08:14:40 PM »
Yes.  I've played that game for a decade or three now.

Offline Shillas

• SA NatRally 2022
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Better Red than Dead
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 03:11:13 PM »

This is the old Adelaide City Council incinerator. It's heritage listed, which is the reason it's still standing. Would make a great oven for the Greek on Halifax which is next to it. 😁

The Greek next to the incinerator now one of the SA COVID hotspots for infection.  Luckily Bodo got there first.
Shillas :13Candy

CB 125 - long gone
RD 200 - long gone
CB 250T - long gone
XJ 650 - reasonably long gone
XV 750 - reasonably long gone
VN 800 - gone
ST 1100 - recently gone
ST 1300 - In the garage

Bodø

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 03:12:36 PM »