Author Topic: Servo discriminates against riders  (Read 1170 times)

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
Servo discriminates against riders
« on: May 25, 2021, 01:57:12 PM »

Riders are now being discriminated against by at least one Sunshine Coast service station with signs demanding they pre-pay for fuel.

The practice of pre-paying for fuel is usually designed to stop fuel driver-offs and is widespread in the USA.

In Australia, we are aware that only Costco requires pre-payment for fuel, but it is a requirement of all motorists.

This sign at the Ampol Nambour, on Bli Bli Road, on the Sunshine Coast of Queensland, is the only one we are aware of that discriminates against riders.

Riders are already vilified by the media and generally in society without signs like this inferring that riders are criminals.

Procon Developments who built the site for Fresh Trading Co claim the sign is not a result of fuel theft but “the dangerous actions of fuel thefts”.

This follows an incident at one of their West Australian sites where a pedestrian was “almost mowed down by a rider who was exiting after stealing fuel”.

Class action

Motorcycle Riders Association Australia Regional Spokesperson Cate Grace claims the sign is a discriminatory practice targeting legitimate road users.

“Motorcycle riders are also car and truck drivers and can/will take their custom elsewhere, while advising as many of their family, friends and colleagues to do likewise,” she warns Procon.

She also warns that riders may raise a class action under the Australian discrimination laws.

Click link to continue: https://motorbikewriter.com/servo-discriminates-against-riders/

2005 Honda ST1300A

Bodø

Re: Servo discriminates against riders
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 02:00:49 PM »
I only dislike of prepayment is that I don't know how much it will take to fill up the tank.

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Offline CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 02:03:49 PM »
I only dislike of prepayment is that I don't know how much it will take to fill up the tank.

Well yeah, that is an obvious issue for all vehicle types.  Someone didn't think that through very well.

My response would be to sit looking at the sign for a few seconds, then ride off and find another servo.
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 03:11:27 PM »
At Costco, it is a 'pre-approval' up to what ever $ value to select. If I select $80.00 and only use $75.59, that is all that is taken from your account. Not sure how other service stations operate 'Pre-Payment'. 
'15 BMW R1200RS
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.

Offline PC

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 05:42:35 PM »
With travelling in remote areas we have come across a lot of pre approval
So you just guestamate high enough to ensure you fill up  that amount gets approved you fill up and you will only be charged for what you get
The guestamated amount will appear on your card statement for 7 days then disappear and the actual amount you received will appear (this what happens on ours so I am guessing it’s the norm for everyone)
But yeah the first time we struck this it really sent the Minister for War and Finance into a tiss

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 06:26:34 PM »
I don't think the pre-paying of fuel is the issue, it's the fact that motorcyclists are being singled out to do it while other road users are free to fuel up before paying.... :popcorn

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Nigel

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 07:28:09 PM »
I don't think the pre-paying of fuel is the issue, it's the fact that motorcyclists are being singled out to do it while other road users are free to fuel up before paying.... :popcorn

100% agree, Nothing to do with drive offs, that will happen with any driver/rider that enters the servo knowingly, that he/she is not paying for their fuel. Just theft. I think there is a great case of discrimination. Interesting, average car fill say 50l, bike 20. Not to mention the ratio of bikes to cars that refuel say 90 20. Me thinks just BS, but that's my 5c worth. :eek Rant Over :grin
Introducing My 2007 BMW K 1200 GT
Avoid Disappointment, Expect the Unexpected.
Nigel               0447333268
Mooroolbark But its a secret.

The following users thanked this post: STroppy, ruSTynutz

Offline PC

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 09:18:55 PM »
Yes Rusty I totally agree with you
My post was just let people know that you don’t have to be accurate with you guess when you encounter a 24hr card servo
If I stop at a servo displaying that notice I will not be buying fuel there wether I am on the bike or in the car
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 09:39:40 PM by PC »

The following users thanked this post: STroppy, ruSTynutz