Author Topic: COVID Lockdown Woes - VIC  (Read 2378 times)

Online Williamson

• UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • ST Legend
COVID Lockdown Woes - VIC
« on: June 04, 2021, 08:42:03 AM »
Let's not hi-jack Johhny's Road trip to the west coast thread.

... I haven't even been further than the mailbox for a week, with this damn lockdown, even tho nearest active zone is 300km away ...

One way I view the decision to lockdown the State - it was just one way of protecting our rural family, friends and colleagues from some of the many people in Melbourne (albeit probably only a relatively few COVID infected, the vast majority not), who previously showed a complete disregard to the safety and welfare of the rural population, by fleeing to rural areas.

It was only a small contribution by all of us to the effort of preventing stupid people from repeating their previous stupid, selfish and potentially dangerous behaviour.

Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

The following users thanked this post: STroppy, Wild Rose, LindsayGT, ruSTynutz

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
Re: COVID Lockdown Woes - VIC
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 09:54:14 AM »
I second your view, Michael!  :thumbs

As you mentioned, we saw a mass exodus of people heading to the country previously in spite of the "so called" ring of steel which was pretty much a fail as it was easily bypassed...I know as I bypassed it myself when we had unavoidable business to attend to in Melbourne... :whistle

So, the best way to avoid that this time was to lock everyone down and hopefully contain things...yes, it was inconvenient but at the end of the day it was a week...

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: Williamson

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 10:38:09 AM »
And you may have heard the 'spray' I gave Johnny (not YTED) at the Moyhu lunch re. his attitude to QR code scanning, well faux scanning and / or signing in.  I've since met up with a couple of other aquaintances (metro and rural) who have a similar blasé attitude to many things COVID related.

Seven day lockdown?   Talk to some of the Melbournians who went through Lockdown 2.0 - 112 days, and this was after Lockdown 1.0 - 42 days.   Seven days, Pffft, a mere calkwalk.

The following users thanked this post: STroppy, ruSTynutz

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 10:57:38 AM »
I missed that "spray" but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest as I see it happening all the time, even now during this current lockdown when I've gone to the local supermarket.

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: STroppy, Williamson

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 11:05:53 AM »
I missed that "spray" but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest as I see it happening all the time, even now during this current lockdown when I've gone to the local supermarket.

It was along the lines of, "It's not an effing game John, this is serious business, it may be a joke for yuse plicks who live in Benalla who have not gone through three or four months of lockdown, but it's not!"  May have been Rex, Garry and Colin (another mate of John) who were sitting at my end of the table.  And I've substituted 'effing' and 'plick' for words I actually used.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 11:08:58 AM by Williamson »

The following users thanked this post: STroppy, ruSTynutz

Offline Langers

• Legendary Member
  • 2008 ST 1300 (sold) 2018 V-Strom 1000
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 12:14:20 PM »
I completely agree with you Michael. I am stunned that the Vic Govt. didn't mandate QR code scanning for every business much like SA has done. It's not an imposition (excepting when I leave the bloody phone in the car  :fp and have to sign in manually). And for those who think it is an invasion of privacy - don't worry, you'll get all the privacy you want 6 feet under.
I also think there seems to be a symptom of Covid infection that hasn't been recognised or publicised. It seems that upon infection you have an uncontrollable urge to visit all hardware stores, cafe's and shopping centres with multiple stores within a 50 kilometre radius before arranging a multigenerational family gathering.
Ah well, we're getting our AZ vaccination this afternoon. God willing all will go well and we won't have to worry about the actions or inactions of the stupid and ignorant for much longer.
Also, in SA we have St Nicola of the Football to look after us. Actually she has done a great job under trying circumstances, but I did laugh at her suggestion people duck if a football is heading their way at the game.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 12:19:01 PM by Langers »
FarRider #726
Mobile: 0418 817 851

The following users thanked this post: STroppy

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 12:25:02 PM »
... duck if a football is heading their way at the game.

Same instructions Matthew Nicks has been giving the Crows all season, I think.

Offline Langers

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 01:04:50 PM »
Love it!!  I have a problem this week (only this week?). My two least favourite teams are playing here in Adelaide. On the upside I'll be very happy that one of them lost.
FarRider #726

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 01:11:23 PM »
... My two least favourite teams are playing here in Adelaide. On the upside I'll be very happy that one of them lost.

It take that to mean Adelaide Crows and Collingwood.  And that being the case, you're a Port Adelaide follower?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 01:15:36 PM by Williamson »

Offline Langers

• Legendary Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 01:20:45 PM »
Yes, however my enthusiasm for AFL has waned over the years due to rule changes, ordinary umpiring, possession football (kicking backwards), cost of game attendance, political correctness to name but a few of the current irritations. My new sporting love is the MotoGP. I just sit in awe of these super humans who throw the book of physics out the window every time they race.
FarRider #726

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 01:51:55 PM »
Yes, however my enthusiasm for AFL has waned over the years due to rule changes, ordinary umpiring, possession football (kicking backwards), cost of game attendance, political correctness to name but a few of the current irritations. My new sporting love is the MotoGP. I just sit in awe of these super humans who throw the book of physics out the window every time they race.

I have a mate in Canberra, he follows Port Adelaide with a passion, hates Collingwood with a bigger passion.

Yes, my enthusiasm has also waned over the years (and for similar reasons).  However, being a Western Bulldogs follower / supporter for over 60 years (since Dad was the club physiotherapist in '60 & '61), much interest was regenerated in 2016, and again so far this year.

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 02:20:16 PM »
I am stunned that the Vic Govt. didn't mandate QR code scanning for every business much like SA has done.

More to the point, why didn't the Federal Government introduce a QR code scanning app (instead of the useless & costly covidsafe app) which could be used Australia wide instead of the States having to have their own.
On our trip to Canberra a few months back it was a pain having to use a different QR app depending on whether we were in Canberra or NSW.  :||||

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: Langers

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 02:29:42 PM »
I am stunned that the Vic Govt. didn't mandate QR code scanning for every business much like SA has done.

More to the point, why didn't the Federal Government introduce a QR code scanning app (instead of the useless & costly covidsafe app) which could be used Australia wide instead of the States having to have their own.
On our trip to Canberra a few months back it was a pain having to use a different QR app depending on whether we were in Canberra or NSW.  :||||

Yeah, good point!  But trying to get all of the States and Territories to agree on that matter would have been a challenge, if not impoosible.  Shyte, we have been trying to get National uniformity of many other things for many, many years, and are still not there.

Besides, from what I can see is that all States and Territories have an adequate checking system and tracing system, it's only Victoria that's seems to have effed it all up. 

Geeze Louise, I hope the VIC community has a long memory, long enough to last until 26 November 2022.

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Offline NTRebel

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • red centre red bike
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2021, 02:58:13 PM »
They say elephants never forget don't they. :Stirpot :Stirpot :Stirpot
I'm not strange i'm just not normal {Salvador Dahli}

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2021, 03:09:09 PM »
Geeze Louise, I hope the VIC community has a long memory, long enough to last until 26 November 2022.

Can you honestly see anything changing even if we did have a change of government?
Good ol' Michael O'Brien is about as useless as tits on a bull and about as popular as a fart in an elevator...  :crackup

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline denis gibson

• ST Legend
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2021, 04:05:30 AM »
Morning all, Try living at Island where most of MEL have holiday homes. No Masks No Manners when walking/shopping cant even say hello when spoken to re GOOD MORNING. This is my BITCH for the day. Denis.

The following users thanked this post: STroppy, Nigel, ruSTynutz

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2021, 09:27:17 AM »
... No Masks No Manners ...

Locals or holiday makers?

Offline Langers

• Legendary Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2021, 04:45:58 PM »

Rusty, I gotta have some of that whatever it is you are smoking! Do you honestly believe the Feds could develop and introduce a QR code scanning app that all the States would accept but more importantly, would work?

It doesn't matter what political persuasion you are, the fact of the matter is, the Feds are hopeless implementing anything with an operational component. Just look at the pink batts debacle and the CovidSafe app. But not to worry, it's only "Other people's money" - sadly ours!
FarRider #726

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2021, 06:44:07 PM »
Only thing I'm smoking is fresh country air, Mark! lol.  :grin

No, I don't believe our Federal Government is even capable of developing a cold...but surely it's not that hard to find some company that can, as obviously the States have done.

Of course if ScoMo was involved he would've announced the app and then we'd still be waiting for it 12 months later...along the way making sure all his top end of town mates had made a killing...  :whistle

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2021, 07:04:58 PM »
... No, I don't believe our Federal Government is even capable of developing a cold...but surely it's not that hard to find some company that can, as obviously the States have done...

I'll fix that for you Russ .... the States ... State, ie. Victoria.  From my observer seat, no other State or Territory has effed up as much as Victoria,  Sure Tasmania had a stuff up in the early days, and other States some hiccups, but combined figures (cases, hospital and ICU admissions, deaths, lockdown days) of all other State and Territories, don't get anywhere near VIC figures.

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2021, 07:42:31 PM »
Now that's a totally different story, Michael...  :p

The States, including Victoria have produced apps that seems to work perfectly fine while ScoMo and Co produced an app that has been pretty much a total fail, on all counts... :whistle

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2021, 08:51:56 PM »
The WASafe app seems to work well, I'm sure the developer wouldnt find it difficult to make it work aust wide. It would just need a centralised database to check everyones location...

Hmmmm,,, Centralised Database..... tracking..... 

Nah, it would be fine..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Langers

• Legendary Member
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2021, 12:13:38 AM »
We take it very seriously here in SA:
A crackdown on South Australians using QR code check-ins has seen a record uptake but just one individual — the owner of an unregistered massage parlour — fined.
Operation Trace launched last Thursday and included the use of plain-clothed police officers positioned around South Australian businesses and events, ensuring people were checking in and providing their contact details.
A massage parlour operator in Adelaide's western suburbs received a $1,060 expiation notice.
"It's an individual who was operating a massage parlour, was not a registered business, it didn't have an ABN, so it was dealt with as an individual," SA Police Commissioner Mr Stevens said.
He said SA Police would look at the need for similar operations "if people's diligence starts to drop off".

At a guess, I'd say any sort of tracing app wouldn't be popular in the "Massage Parlor" industry.
FarRider #726

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Online Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2021, 07:14:50 PM »
By now you've probably heard of this ...

NSW Health has been advised by Queensland Health that a confirmed case of COVID-19 travelled through regional NSW while potentially infectious from 1 June to 5 June ... The case drove from Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, stopping at places in Gillenbah, Forbes, Dubbo and Moree and signed into several venues using QR codes.

If you've been under a rock for the day, more details here: https://www.facebook.com/NewSouthWalesHealth/photos/a.232420926957256/1606215506244451/

The report on evening TV news indicated that this "case" from an outer Melbourne suburb travelled with her husband.  The way I see this is, she and he have alledegly (or probably) breached a number of VIC, NSW & QLD border and / or travel restrictions.  If determined guilty of these allegations, they could / should receive some pretty harsh penalties x 3.

And then this posted around 6:00pm today ...

Three Melbourne residents have been caught trying to get into New Zealand during Victoria's coronavirus lockdown ... New Zealand director general of health Ashley Bloomfield, told a press conference that the three drove from Melbourne to Sydney and then flew to Auckland last week.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-09/melburnians-travel-bubble-australia-new-zealand-covid-19/100202344

I suspect that there will be investigations re. these people not complying with VIC and NSW border restrictions, as well as their NZ quarantine declarations, and then terms and conditions relating to their AUS passports, penalties include cancellation.  If guilty, throw a coupla books at 'em.

I suppose this why we had a State lockdown, although despite that some people cannot follow simple instructions, and try to stop random travel and spread of the virus.  Gee, I'm glad (as I'm sure others would be) that none of these people drove through or stopped at any of our SW provincial cities on their way to a their NSW destination.

The following users thanked this post: STroppy, Jdbiker