Author Topic: Queensland Motor Marshals In our 10th Year!!  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
Queensland Motor Marshals In our 10th Year!!
« on: June 11, 2021, 07:09:48 PM »
Motorcycle Marshals
  • Do you want to get out of house and be part of something rewarding?
  • Do you want to meet lots of new friends and have a great day riding whilst being paid?
  • Are you an experienced motorcycle rider who is safety conscious?
Then Road Cycling Motorcycle Marshalling is for you!

Within QLD and Northern NSW there is a thriving team of dedicated Motorcycle Marshals that devote their time and skills to look after the Road Cycling community.
Lead by a highly profession team of cycling event organisers NX Sports we are always looking for new marshals as the number of events are always increasing.

FAQ’s
Q: Is my motorbike suitable?
A: We encourage to use of Sports Tourers as these are stable at low speed, comfortable to ride all day and easy to manoeuvre in tight situations and fast enough to get where you need to get in a hurry.

Q: How often do the events occur?
A: The road cycling season goes from approximately April to October (the cooler months). There are approximately a dozen events during this period at various times and locations all within a few hours of Brisbane (usually)

Q: What sort of events are they?
A: We do Cycling Australia road series, Triathlons, endurance races and fun rides. If the event involves public roads and bicycles we are usually there. Examples include the Tour de Brisbane, Byron Bay Triathlon and CA Masters. For those keen Marshals we also do interstate events such as the Australian Tour De France.

Q: What about safety?
A: We are currently arranging insurance coverage and all events are conducted under the supervision of State Police which includes (usually) road closures, traffic management and multiple roadside volunteers. In addition all Motorcycle Marshals are given HiVis vests, Digital Radios and designated patrol zones.

Q: Is accommodation provided?
A: Yes, if needed

Q: How much am I paid?
A: Each Motorcycle Marshal is paid a milage allowance from their home to the event, all milage on the event day and then the trip home. In addition they are paid $150 for each event day as sometimes it may be a two day event.

Q: Am I suitable?
A: Each Motorcycle Marshal needs to have a strong commitment to road safety and be an experienced rider. No age limits apply and we are encouraging female riders to join the other female Marshals. On the job training is provided as is a requirement to be AusCysling certified (details on application) 

Q: How much find out more information?
A: You can contact me on 043 111 4308 or Bree.Webb86@gmail.com

Thanks for reading and hope to see you at an event soon.
Bree.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
Re: Queensland Motor Marshals In our 10th Year!!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 11:54:37 PM »
Marshalling is a great way to get involved in local (and sometimes not so local) events. It doesnt take long for event organisers to recognise regular marshals, and you can get invited to do some other types of events as well. Its good fun and the cyclists appreciate our efforts greatly.

Unfortunately I have just had to knock back an event in WA, and maybe a few more. I have developed Carpal Tunnel syndrome (RSI injury?? ) in the left hand and cant ride due to cant work the clutch..

Bugger, bugger , bugger
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 10:52:45 AM »
Unfortunately I have just had to knock back an event in WA, and maybe a few more. I have developed Carpal Tunnel syndrome (RSI injury?? ) in the left hand and cant ride due to cant work the clutch..

Bugger, bugger , bugger

I developed that in my throttle hand years ago...my hand would go numb after just a short time riding.
A simple op sorted it and while it probably took the best part of 12 months to feel completely normal again, it's never given me grief since.  :thumbs

I did end up with De Quervain's Tenosynovitis in both wrists since then though but that's another story...  :||||

2005 Honda ST1300A

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 01:42:34 PM »
I'm wondering if a Spyder would be accepted. It's very stable at any speed.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 01:45:46 PM »
I wondered about that as well. I think the Spyder may be a little too broad in the beam to fit in the lane alongside bikes, but would be great as a lead/trail vehicle.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Totgas

• Legendary Member
  • Everything is improved with "Flashing lights"
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 05:57:39 PM »
No, unfortunately a spider would not be allowed in a Queensland race. The rules surrounding races are getting stricter and stricter. I am currently organising accreditation for Moto's without which very shortly you wont be able to participate. It is also worth noting that Moto accreditation is occurring Australian wide after a number of unfortunately bad mishaps.
Cheers,
Bree.
I acknowledge hardworking Australians no matter who they are or where they come from. All those who have contributed to this wonderful country deserve an equal share of gratitude for their contributions. To single any group of individuals out for special homage only denigrates the rest of us.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 06:31:15 PM »
I would be interested to see what was involved in this accreditation..
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 11:55:29 AM »
Hmmm. I'd like to know why not, and the justification.

As a lead or tailend Charlie vehicle it has a presence on the road that is more likely to get other motorists attention.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Skip

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 06:10:36 PM »
Something I will definitely look at once I'm 'fully' retired. (hopefully by years end)  :grin
'15 BMW R1200RS
Getting wind in my hair while I still have some.