Author Topic: Aging Riders.  (Read 263 times)

Offline Dragonstaff

• Dave
Aging Riders.
« on: December 03, 2023, 07:29:14 PM »
I went on my local Toy Run today. Had a great ride with a lot of bikes, ranging from a vintage Matchless outfit, through a TX 500 Yamaha, to all the Hardly Driveables and modern Trumpies. It also included three ST1100s and my 1300. The 1100s were interesting in themselves, as one was the grey original that we think was a test bike, and one of the others was a police special first registered in 2005. It apparently got left crated up in the back corner of a shed somewhere and forgotten for a while by the Victorian Police.

While wondering around looking at bikes and talking to riders, it occured to me that when I did a Toy Run or other mass ride thirty years ago, most of the riders were in our twenties and thirties. Today 95% were in their fifties, sixties, and seventies.

It is the same riders who were riding thirty years ago! There is very little new blood coming in because instead of being the cheap alternative bikes are now too expensive for young people, and I think licenses are now so hard to get that most don't bother. It is easier and cheaper to just get a car.

Enjoy your bikes for as long as you can- we may well be the last generation of riders.
THERE ARE OLD RIDERS, AND THERE ARE BOLD RIDERS, BUT THERE ARE DAMN FEW OLD AND BOLD RIDERS.

Keep the dirty side down.

2003 ST 1300
1984 1200 Goldwing
1981 GL 500 Silverwing
1980 CX500
(Not all bikes are running at the current time)

The following users thanked this post: Biggles, Wild Rose, Lionel, Gerard & Sandra, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
Re: Aging Riders.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 08:56:43 PM »
I agree Dave... :thumbs

It's been made harder and harder to obtain a motorcycle licence these days with, in my opinion, the long term plan to reduce motorcycle rider numbers.
I know years back Vicroads got caught out admitting they would do nothing to encourage more motorcyclists while Queensland requires prospective motorcycle learners to first obtain a car licence (and hold it for at least 12 months) before they can get a motorcycle learner permit. I suspect they are hoping many will not bother with a motorcycle after getting their car licence.  :well

2005 Honda ST1300A

The following users thanked this post: Biggles, Wild Rose, Lionel, Dragonstaff

Offline Dragonstaff

• Dave
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 07:24:27 PM »
Queensland requires prospective motorcycle learners to first obtain a car licence (and hold it for at least 12 months) before they can get a motorcycle learner permit. I suspect they are hoping many will not bother with a motorcycle after getting their car licence.  :well

In my opinion, they have this the wrong way around. Every driver should have to spend two years on a bike before they graduate to a car (disabilities allowing, of course. If your balance is no good or you are missing a limb etc. then exceptions must be made). This would ensure that all car drivers are bike aware from the start.
THERE ARE OLD RIDERS, AND THERE ARE BOLD RIDERS, BUT THERE ARE DAMN FEW OLD AND BOLD RIDERS.

Keep the dirty side down.

2003 ST 1300
1984 1200 Goldwing
1981 GL 500 Silverwing
1980 CX500
(Not all bikes are running at the current time)

The following users thanked this post: STeveo, Lionel, ruSTynutz

Offline ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 07:54:29 PM »
In a perfect world that would be ideal, but of course it will never happen... :'(

2005 Honda ST1300A