Author Topic: When you went for your MC licence....  (Read 25394 times)

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: When you went for your MC licence....
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2012, 05:16:51 PM »
You're right Skip (mainly- I had a few run-ins with Cops while living in the country).
Compared with the laws we're required to abide by in the city, (e.g. parking, traffic lights, lanes etc etc) the country is paradise.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 04:47:40 PM »
I started riding at the age of 13 around the Morayfield/Caboolture area (roads, trails it was all good :wink1) and as soon as I could I went for my motorcycle test at the department of transport.

The instructor had me start with an emergency stop and I lost traction on the rear tyre due to a stone on the road and he failed me on the spot (Still took my money though) :cuss

After many years of riding all over the place (on just a learners licence :whistle) I stopped in to the local bike shop to get a new rear tyre and was looking at the second hand bikes. Anyway to cut a long story short-ish I brought a VT750 and had them pay for me to do the QRide as part of the deal so I would be licensed to ride it.

For the QRide I went to the instructor’s house on my CB250, had a chat and watched a video then went riding to the local park on his GS500 naked bike.
Did the slow riding and figure eights without an issue then came the emergency stop… :fp
I did it 3 times, lost traction on the rear tyre every time (we were under a tree in the carpark and I kept running over twigs and seeds) :||||
After the 3rd time he asked what speed I was doing I said 60 and he said I was only supposed to be doing 40 :eek (nobody told me that) anyway he said he could see I knew what I was doing and gave me a pass. :thumbs

After that went for a ride over Clear Mountain and around the place for an hour or so after which I got the piece of paper saying I could ride and got my licence and the new bike...
5 years later I upgraded to the  :wht11 then 9 months later to the  :blu13 :grin
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline bobSTer

• ST Legend
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 07:17:09 PM »
 :) :)    :thumbs
I started riding/driving @ about 12 yo - commence work Jan '64 - purchase 1st 2 wheels @ 15yrs 9 mths - 1964 K11 (80cc) Suzuki Sport - One Hundred Fifty Four POUND Nine & Sixpence - OR for the younger members  - $308.95 incl on roads & Insurance - Licence 2 mths later - known to local Sargeant - "Ride up the street - right blinker on - u-turn -come back here - right blinker on - u-turn & stop where I am"- trouble was - when I got there - he wasn't - bike on side stand walk towards Station - out he comes - "here's your licence - now do the right thing or I'll know all about it" and he handed me my paper licence @ 15yrs & 11 mths (Legal age was 16yrs & 9mths for Permit - 17 yrs for Licence.
No helmet required in those days - wind in the hair etc etc - its a wonder I still have any at all - No goggles - tears streaming from eyes - still alive though - must've beeb doin' somethin' right.
Will continue for a long while yet - too.

Regards
Bob
 :dred11
Regards
Robert

1998 Non ABS ST1100
Ulysses #50219
Pajero NT 3.2 DID Pajero
"TOMORROW" (noun)
A mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation and achievement is stored.

Offline StinkyPete

• Defected to a BMW
  • NR2016 Group
  • Blackwood, SA
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2012, 09:08:45 AM »
When bike licenses were introduced in SA back in about 1973, I didn't own a bike.    All I had to do to get my "unlimited" motorcycle license was to find a mate who owned a bike and get him to sign a document that said I rode his bike regularly.    No written exam, no training, no testing, no dollars spent.   This probably explains why I can't ride for shit..........   :thumbs
IBA #59146   OzLapper 2012 & 2019

Yamaha XS650  (The Black Wobbler)
Yamaha XJR1300 (Rocket Ship)
Honda ST1300 (Beautiful Bike)
BMW R1200RT (Technically Perfect)

Offline youngSTer

• young one
  • BMW R1200RT
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2012, 09:51:57 AM »
Hi All, Those were the days my friend.
My friendly Sargent just said if you can't Bloodly well ride by now don't come back and He just stood on the steps of the cop shop and watched, (I had been caught in a Police Road Block at the age of 11 driving a 3ton farm truck) this was now 6 years later.

quote author=bobSTer link=topic=1850.msg17577#msg17577 date=1343035029]
 :) :)    :thumbs
I started riding/driving @ about 12 yo - commence work Jan '64 - purchase 1st 2 wheels @ 15yrs 9 mths - 1964 K11 (80cc) Suzuki Sport - One Hundred Fifty Four POUND Nine & Sixpence - OR for the younger members  - $308.95 incl on roads & Insurance - Licence 2 mths later - known to local Sargeant - "Ride up the street - right blinker on - u-turn -come back here - right blinker on - u-turn & stop where I am"- trouble was - when I got there - he wasn't - bike on side stand walk towards Station - out he comes - "here's your licence - now do the right thing or I'll know all about it" and he handed me my paper licence @ 15yrs & 11 mths (Legal age was 16yrs & 9mths for Permit - 17 yrs for Licence.
No helmet required in those days - wind in the hair etc etc - its a wonder I still have any at all - No goggles - tears streaming from eyes - still alive though - must've beeb doin' somethin' right.
Will continue for a long while yet - too.

Regards
Bob
[/quote]
Sometimes I pretend to be NORMAL,
but it gets boring,So I go back to being Me!

Bikes I've had;
Suzuki K10 80cc.
B.S.A. Bantam.
Honda CB450.
Suzuki Savage.
Honda SL100.
Honda Postie Bike.
Honda ST1300A. Best of All. GONE & SOLD
Honda CB 500X. New to my Stable. GONE & SOLD.
NOW BMW R 1200 RT

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012, 08:52:43 PM »
17 & 9 months got my permit the day after 18th birthday went to testing station,  copper came out said go out the driveway turn right 2nd set of lights turn right 2nd set of light turn right 2set of lights & your back here & don't get bloody lost  :law past my test no probs tho they got harder as I went along after that (had my license cancelled 9 times  :eek)
I was 30 b4 I had my full license  :runyay & got my car license that year
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Offline OzRider

• Brisbane QLD
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 01:20:45 PM »
Got mine in 72 rode my 750/4 down to the registry rode down the road 100m then did a U turn without putting my feet down rode back same U turn deal, went inside and got my licence.

Stopped riding for a while went and did a refresher course and a advanced course, in reflection wonder how I lasted so long in my previous life I knew nothing........but had a @*$# load of fun.
I don’t wanna a pickle just wanna ride my moto sickle
FarRider # 349     IBA # 47578

Offline WendyL

• RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Extremely nice person, angelic even....
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 03:21:12 PM »
I've only been riding for about 7 years, no experience whatsoever before doing my METAL (Motorcycle Education Training and Licencing) courses.  Did basic (learners) and intermediate (restricted) two weeks apart, then 3 months later did the advanced course to do the early upgrade.  Was riding my ST1100 only 6 months after getting on a bike for the first time  :grin flew Darwin to Sydney on the redeye, taxi to the bike shop, paperwork done and on the road to Melbourne by 9:30am.  Spent a couple of days with my grandmother in Melbourne before heading to Adelaide to pick up my Shadow trailer, then 2 and a half days up through the centre to Darwin.  I had a ball!!!  :grin :grin :grin

:bl11
:KissBlow
Wendy
2005 ST1300
FarRider #913

Offline ruSTyEB

• Occasionally 2Up
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2012, 04:10:32 PM »
1. FEB 2007 - Bought a KLX 250 off a mate.
2. MAR 2007 - Studied the Queensland transport MC learner online test.  There were only 15 questions, 5 of which would be shown at any time.  Answers also given.  Hitting
   REFRESH for30 minutes gave me all questions and answers.  Next day I attained my Learners.
3. That next weekend took the bike to my parents 3 arcres, and rode for the very first time. All up about 4 hours.
4. Two weks later, and not having any riding time in-between, did a 1 day Q-Ride course.  Used my bike, and as such was only able to get a restricted liense (250cc).  The bike
    was so light that all manouves were easy. In fact the instructor borrowed my bike to show off, doing some pretty cool low-speed stunts. I PASSED easily, only having to repeat
    the emergency stop as the KLX didn't go down the gears fast enough and would go into neutral by default.

Two weeks from learners to license, not good enough really....  I will say the Q-Ride mob I went with were VERY good with teaching safety though!

5 Then I rode to work every day for 2 years without misshap.

6. 2009 - I moved to Sydney for work, changed my license to NSW, and because the NSW RTA didn't acknowlege restricted 250cc licenses, was upgraded to a full unrestricted license without ANY TEST whatsoever.

When I moved back to QLD, naturaly I bought an ST..... :grin

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:14:34 PM by ruSTyEB »
Martin
 -- 94 ST1100 R --
Made in Hamamatsu

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2012, 04:22:01 PM »
I've only been riding for about 7 years, no experience whatsoever before doing my METAL (Motorcycle Education Training and Licencing) courses.  Did basic (learners) and intermediate (restricted) two weeks apart, then 3 months later did the advanced course to do the early upgrade.  Was riding my ST1100 only 6 months after getting on a bike for the first time  :grin flew Darwin to Sydney on the redeye, taxi to the bike shop, paperwork done and on the road to Melbourne by 9:30am.  Spent a couple of days with my grandmother in Melbourne before heading to Adelaide to pick up my Shadow trailer, then 2 and a half days up through the centre to Darwin.  I had a ball!!!  :grin :grin :grin

We must have been within weeks of each other picking our bikes up from Victoria. Mine was owned by a 45 year old (at the time) lady rider who lived in Bendigo and that was May 2006
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline WendyL

• RTE Coordinator
  • Extremely nice person, angelic even....
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2012, 04:32:22 PM »

We must have been within weeks of each other picking our bikes up from Victoria. Mine was owned by a 45 year old (at the time) lady rider who lived in Bendigo and that was May 2006

I got mine from a bike shop in Sydney (can't remember which one) in Feb 2006.  Rode back to Darwin via Melbourne and Adelaide.  Absolutely awesome trip that I want to repeat one day  :grin

:KissBlow
Wendy
2005 ST1300
FarRider #913

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2012, 07:50:09 PM »

Wow that's an amazing start to motorcycling
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2012, 08:05:05 PM »
I first got my "L" class (<= 250cc) in 1991 here in WA. I had never ridden a bike before, and the reason to do start was simply to save $$ on the long commute of about kms from Freo to Garden Is.

I did the usual thing, started with some lessons with an instruction school. First few lesson were on a Suzi GN250 - really easy to ride. Then switched mid-way to a CB250 - quite the opposite - horrible brakes. In the middle of a lesson doing a quick-stop I locked up the front wheel and she went down... that was the last time I've ever ridden a bike without gloves.  :spank I think I'd rather break a bone - totally debilitating having lost much of the skin off both palms. All I can say is that my wife & I had a new level of intimacy never experienced since!  >:()

6 months later I managed to get back on a bike to continue lessons (that's how long it took to heal). All good, did well. On the day of the test: it was like a wet-season in the NT - absolute cat's & dogs teaming down.  It was a puckering moment when I had to grab a handful of brake for a quick-stop for the fist time in standing water - during my test.

In the end all good - but again - unprepared. Totally soaked.

Had to repeat the process for the "big bike" licence. All prepared this time though - 100% perfect score on an old beat-up GSX 500.
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2012, 11:16:18 AM »
Rob, you talk about "...a new level of intimacy", many years ago in UK when married to my first wife I was riding regularly to and from work through Southampton when one morning a brain-dead pedestrian walked out between two parked cars right in front of me. I missed him...just, but went over the handlebars into a big heap on the other side of the road. Busted my left wrist in lots of places and took the top off my right collar bone.  :well

By the time the docs were finished, my left arm was in plaster from 1st finger joint to elbow, and right arm was strapped to my chest and not moveable. As you can imagine this made doing anything 'personal' extremely difficult.

To cut a long story short, one day shortly after the incident, my wife went shopping and left me at home with her mother, she took 4 hours shopping instead of the promised 1 hour and I was finally forced to ask my Monster-in-Law to assist me in having a pee, with all the "new level of intimacy" associated with that procedure.  :eek :eek :eek

Trust me our marriage was not the same thereafter, and didn't last too much longer!!
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2012, 11:38:01 AM »
... I was finally forced to ask my Monster-in-Law to assist me in having a pee...
OK. You win that one!  :hatwave   I have to ask though, you said your marriage didn't last... did you marry your ex mother-in-law?
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
 :well :well :well :well

Too much info required Rob.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2012, 10:39:08 PM »
Rob, you talk about "...a new level of intimacy", many years ago in UK when married to my first wife I was riding regularly to and from work through Southampton when one morning a brain-dead pedestrian walked out between two parked cars right in front of me. I missed him...just, but went over the handlebars into a big heap on the other side of the road. Busted my left wrist in lots of places and took the top off my right collar bone.  :well

By the time the docs were finished, my left arm was in plaster from 1st finger joint to elbow, and right arm was strapped to my chest and not moveable. As you can imagine this made doing anything 'personal' extremely difficult.

To cut a long story short, one day shortly after the incident, my wife went shopping and left me at home with her mother, she took 4 hours shopping instead of the promised 1 hour and I was finally forced to ask my Monster-in-Law to assist me in having a pee, with all the "new level of intimacy" associated with that procedure.  :eek :eek :eek

Trust me our marriage was not the same thereafter, and didn't last too much longer!!
Is that why they call you Whizz??
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

Offline Whizz

• Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2012, 07:48:45 AM »
Rob,  :eek :-(((  :eek  >:() NEVER!!!, and that is a mental picture that I really didn't need in my head, thanks a lot...NOT

Scarp, No, but it does sort of fit, doesn't it :crackup :rofl
Cheers,
Paul
:13Candy
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline Mystic2

• ST Legend
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2012, 04:55:02 PM »
Way back in 1976 on a yellow Honda 750 F1 , it was borrowed from the Yamaha dealer , he followed me up to the Police station & the Sargent come out said ride up to bridge do a U turn and come back & we will do the paper work , he knew I could ride because we rode in the bush together .
Mystic2
Mystic2

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2012, 05:16:20 PM »
I don't have a MC licence. MC is multi combination.
I do however have a HC and an R.

In New Zealand it was 20 questions and a ride around the block with a person behind you watching. The Police used to do traffic and general duties.
I eventually got on first name terms with the officer who took me for the first ride. He caught me several times for speeding.

You used to be able to do a six week riding school which reduced the time you were on "Ls"

:blu13
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2012, 06:14:51 PM »
I grew up on a dairy farm and at the age of 8 had to learn to drive the tractor because my Dad had accidentally poured boiling hot Caustic Soda down his Gumboots >:() and someone had to drive the tractor while Mum moved the irrigation pipes.  When I was 15 Dad got a Yamaha a AG175  :thumbsup to get around on the 500 Acre property and I loved it.  I would offer to go round up the cows, change the irrigation pipes as long as I could head out on the bike.  :runyay

As soon as I turned 17 and 9 months I was at the local Police station in a country Town NSW in 1979 and got my learners for the car licence.

Went and joined the Army and went on to get an Army truck licence and went into Albury and upgraded my Car licence to a Truck licence.  At that stage I think it was a 2 tonne limit.  Got posted to QLD and they didn't have a 2 tonne limit they had a 2.5 Tonne Limit, so my licence was "upgraded" to 2.5 Tonne :thumb.  Gor posted back to NSW and their next limit was 5 Tonne so again an "upgrade" :thumb to 5 Tonne. Back to QLD on leaving the Army and the next category for the truck licence was Heavy Rigid (HR), so another 'upgrade'.  :thumb

On my birthday in 2006 I had to take my wife's 50cc Scooter in for a service and wait around to bring it home so asked if I could do the Q-ride test while I waited.  I hadn't been on a motorcycle other than the wife's scooter since I was 17-18, however for many years I had been riding racing bicycles at breakneck speeds and understood cornering, emergency braking and the hazards of locking up the wheels.  The lovely lady at Q-ride was very thorough and was adamant she wasn't going to give me a teh paperwork to get the licence if I didn't display the appropriate abilities.

So after watching the video, asking a lot of questions and talking through a lot of the Hazards we set out on a Honde VT750C so I could go for the Open R licence.  Rode out to a Carpark of a local Park and did slow riding, figure eights, and emergency stops.  Teh last one was a bit more difficult than I had anticipated, because  whilst doing the test it started to rain and the the Car-park was full of loose gravel.  Eventually I was able to pull it up with in the required distance from 60 km/h without locking up.  She then got me to put the bike on it's stand and made me walk a further 12 metres from where I had stopped.  Apparently she had deliberately made the stopping distance shorter than required because she believed that the regulation distance was too long in a true emergency. 

We then went on a ride for about 30 minutes through traffic and out onto the Bruce Highway and then back to the shop.

When we got back she asked me if I thought I had done anything wrong.  The only thing I could think of was I knew I had forgot to indicate leaving a roundabout, and she was pleased to know I was conscious of that error, because she said it was the only one I'd made.  She filled out the paperwork and I picked up the Wife's scooter after the service and rode to the Department of Transport and got my licence.  :runyay

14 months later I bought my first bike a Yamaha V-star 650 Custom. :runyay  6 weeks later I stacked it on a bend  :|||| because I entered a bend too fast. I then rode it almost daily until August last year.  Back in November last year I bought the ST1300 :runyay and 13 days later in the wet going what I considered very slow (80 km/h) through the bend at Deagon Deviation flyover had the rear tyre let go without warning >:().  These mistakes I think I would have made if I had been on L's or P's because the first one was an unsigned bend and looked wider than it was and teh second one, I suspect, was a combination of tryw quality and spilt diesel or oil in the wet.

I've had many instances where motorists have not seen me and required emergency breaking, and every time I'm grateful of the extra effort my instructor put in to ensure I could do it safely. :thumb :thumbsup :thumbs

Cheers,
Gadget
Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2012, 07:20:45 PM »
I've had many instances where motorists have not seen me and required emergency breaking, and every time I'm grateful of the extra effort my instructor put in to ensure I could do it safely.   

Great post there Gadget, fantastic to see people who take the time to make sure people are doing things safety!

when I first started riding my brother in law who was much more experienced than I made me go to all the safe riding events that were on, and also paid for me to do a stay up right course, he has always been safety first riding second, for every close call I have had, I thank him for making sure that I know what to do to come away in one piece.  :thumb

Cheers

Streak (Graham)
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2012, 09:25:40 PM »
I don't have a MC licence. MC is multi combination.
I do however have a HC and an R.
Malcolm your such a wanker  >:()

Mind your language Scarp. There might be wowsers reading this post. :rofl :crackup :rofl :crackup :rofl

:blu13
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

terrydj

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2012, 08:32:48 AM »
Has anyone ever wondered why and how those that got their Motorcycle Licenses basically by signing a piece of paper?????? how they have survived for so long without the benefit of expert????? instruction and the Zillions of dollars the Govt has spent on such????????

Has anybody ever wondered why the Motorcycle Fatality Statistics has basically stayed the same (In relation to Motorcycle Registrations and Licenses) since the introduction of all this expert training and advice??????

Being one who knows nothing, I have wondered?????? but then again I ride 6 out of 7 and see those that have gone through the training to get their licenses every day :think1

Remember when you stop. One foot on the ground???? one foot on the brake????? and look in your rear view mirrors for cars that aren't stopping :rofl

Can't see anything up close behind my bike when I'm stopped. Should of done the course eh

Offline ST.George

• ST.George and his ST1300 Red Dragon (Wyvern)
  • Legendary Member
  • DIY not DYI(Do Yourself In) "The Gong"Southern NSW
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »
My first licence was a riders licence as a 17 yo about 37 years ago in Ipswich, Qld.

In Ipswich, the police were not friendly to youths in those days - I remember one time when I was 18 four Police came into a pub where I was having a drink with friends, singled me out to check my age. I thought they looked inebriated themselves, and refused to show them anything. One copper grabbed me and I pushed him back and he tripped and fell over. I said to myself, "Oh - oh! I'm in the crap now". The next thing I know is I'm in the slammer for the one and only time in my life and was let out at two in the morning if I promised to behave myself. The graffiti on the cell walls was interesting though.

As far as the riding test goes, two officers came out of the station and told the four of us to ride around the block and they would follow. That's it - we all passed. BTW I had the exact same bike (Yamaha TX500) that TerryDJ provided a photo of - thanks mate - that brought back so many memories - including the one where I rode off the road while leaning down listening to the hum of a brand new 8 valve DOHC twin.

Talking about learning to ride, having just bought a 2003 ST1300, I am still having trouble getting smooth on it, especially doing low speed turns, like u-turns and roundabouts. If I fail to concentrate fully for a half second I either get a deceleration surge from engine braking or an acceleration surge from the fuel injectors. In both cases the bike lurches and my throttle control is erratic.

I have a theory about the cause. Could it be the Two Brothers exhaust. They make a great note that I really like and Desty told me the bike has much more power because of them. However, my mechanical understanding tells me that the only way an exhaust system can increase power is by reducing the level of baffling. This means the exhaust system is more free-flowing and loud. Can this also cause the bike to be more abrupt than one fitted with standard but quieter (more baffled) exhausts.

The other day I was coming out of a basement car park when a trolley guy lost control of a trolley train that veered straight at me and caught me by surprise. I veered to one side and just missed him but slightly over throttled and surged and almost collected a parked car. I mentioned the distant ditch (far canal) and got away without damage but was pissed at my lack of control.

So does anybody else think that mufflers can cause increased surging? I don't think there is any problem with the accelerator cable - it is smooth with no slack at all. I'm thinking of asking Desty to send me the original mufflers to see if there is a noticeable change of smoothness.

Waste of time and money or not?
:beer Cheers :beer Gregory
:rd13   Best Bred is Red   :rd13
"Spock - there's a black hole on the other side of Uranus".
"Illogical Captain".
I think I might be indecisive, I'm not sure, maybe - maybe not.
Yamaha TX500; Yamaha DT360; BMW 650 Boxer; 2003 ST1300 Red Dragon