Author Topic: Bluetooth Comms and Music??  (Read 10487 times)

Offline KiwiRider

• Loving the space cars give the ex Police bike
Bluetooth Comms and Music??
« on: September 18, 2012, 07:32:55 PM »
Back into it and now have options for music and comme other than the car radio mounted on the Gold Wing or the shout into the wind approach.

So 1 simple question:  What is the best comms system for riders to communicate.

I have asked at a couple of bike shops but they all seem to just be selling the most expensive unit. Remember I am a tight A@#E accountant too so cost effectiveness is almost as important as usage..
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:30:52 AM by Brock »
Bean counter by week. Bikie by weekend.
White 1997 ST1100 - minus the red and blue lights.

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
Re: Bluetooth Comme and Music??
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:52:58 PM »
What is the best comms system for riders to communicate.

How long is a piece of string?????

(and before anyone says it "twice as long as it is from one end to the middle"  :nahnah)

If its only 2 people on 1 bike any reasonable Bluetooth headsets will do it for around $300 (if you want something that actaully works)
or as your on the 'wing a couple of cabled headsets from the bike's system.

If you want bike to bike between only really 2 people then a $400 BT headset pair will do it.

If you want to talk to all and sundry then you'll need a UHF radio, added to the 'wings sytem or an aftermarket system that picks up the wings entertainment as well a the UHF and many other farkles too.
Wireed or Wireless its all possible but I'm afraid against the grain for your occupation  :rofl at a cost  :whistle
I may ride a Ducati, but I've rode lots of (other peoples :-) ) ST's

What I do www.DMME.com.au and www.StarCom1.com.au

Offline tj189

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 07:53:55 PM »
 :) It's like asking how long is a piece of string or which oil is best.
There are a number of us using systems and I am sure you know that you get what you pay for.  Second hand systems may be suitable for you so have a look around for slightly older models as well.  Me, I am using the scala G4 bluetooth headset with the Starcomm digital comms system.  I think its good but there are others around and I am sure you will get some good responses.
Dale McLean is what I would consider to be the guru on systems and he sells them, good guy to deal with and very helpful if you run into problems.
Dale is on the forum as well so he will more than likely pipe in.
enjoy the knowledge of the fellow STer's. cheers
(geeze, knew he would be quick  :thumb)
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:55:43 PM »
 :rofl :rofl I must be too slow typing TJ  :-++

PS thanks for the vote of confidence :thumb

Offline KiwiRider

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 07:59:41 PM »
Guys thanks. Yes, I am afflicted by my occupation but the good news is that now with no wife, I can spend what I want, even if it does hurt a bit..
I am just after some user recommendations really and have now met the Guru. Dale, whats your number, do you sell the units you are talking about or are you just a guru.

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 08:01:17 PM »
I think I can answer this one...

http://www.dmme.com.au/   

Dale McLean Motorcycle Electronics

Mobile:  0410 461250
Fax:  02 49715239
Postal address: 17 Hardy St Swansea, NSW, 2281
Electronic mail: dale@dmme.com.au

We can not recommend Dale highly enough to anybody needing communications equipment on your bike.  He is an absolute legend in customer service, and he also rides bikes himself. 

He is an Electrical Engineer so he knows about all stuff electrickery better than we do.  He will make cables to connect GPS, UHF Radios, Starcom and also does Bluetooth stuff also. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 08:21:47 PM by Streak »
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 08:09:59 PM »
Taa Graham

But the info is a little out of date  :-[

postal is now 17 Hardy St Swansea (we bought one  :runyay)

and email had to go to dale@dmme.com.au (too long a story that would hijack the thread  :||||)

Anyone can give me a buzz anytime Monday, Friday and Saturday, and reasonable A/hrs Tuesday to Thursday
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 08:21:27 PM by Streak »

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 08:22:04 PM »
I don't know what your talking about....
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 10:32:21 PM »
There are a number of us using systems and I am sure you know that you get what you pay for.  Second hand systems may be suitable for you so have a look around for slightly older models as well.  Me, I am using the scala G4 bluetooth headset with the Starcomm digital comms system.  I think its good but there are others around and I am sure you will get some good responses.
Dale McLean is what I would consider to be the guru on systems and he sells them, good guy to deal with and very helpful if you run into problems.

TJ you say you’re using the Scala G4 and the Starcomm digital system.

I’m also using a Scala G4 and wanted to know what benefits could be gained by connecting it to a Starcomm digital system?

Cheers
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline tj189

• Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 05:50:35 AM »

TJ you say you’re using the Scala G4 and the Starcomm digital system.

I’m also using a Scala G4 and wanted to know what benefits could be gained by connecting it to a Starcomm digital system?

Cheers
Shiney

Not sure sure if or  how I use my system has benefits but for my purpose it is excellent.  Now the vast majority of my rides are long distance that I am doing under the requirements of an IBA ride and are solo.  My comms system is completely bluetooth so I am not connected to the bike by wire.  I have the following connections utilized:
* UHF
* Ipod
* GPS
*IPhone
I take the two headset base units with me so one is on charge whilst I am using the other. 
This actually dumbs down the the G4 capabilities but that was what I had when I moved onto using the StarCom Digital.

I tried to do the same connections to the G4 above without the Starcom but just could not get it to work properly so now I am happy with where my system is at the moment.
cheers
TJ
IBA #38035
FarRider #189
Ulysses #42456

Offline Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 06:43:35 AM »
Cool, thanks TJ :hatwave

You've also answered my unasked question of how to connect a UHF to the G4 :grin

I'll have a look into the Starcomm system when I do decide to go for a UHF :thumb

Thanks again mate :thumbs
Shiney
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

terrydj

Re: Bluetooth Comms and Music??
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »
Ahhhhh the things we have to do when we just don't keep it simple.
I'm connected to my setup:
GPS
UHF
Mobile phone
Music
Pillion
Other Motorcycles
Hmmmmmm but I do have a cable from my helmet to the bike connection????? but it never needs recharging :thumbsup Never needs Syncing :thumbsup and when the keys turned it all works :runyay

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Laurie
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »
Ahhhhh the things we have to do when we just don't keep it simple.
I'm connected to my setup:
GPS
UHF
Mobile phone
Music
Pillion
Other Motorcycles
Hmmmmmm but I do have a cable from my helmet to the bike connection????? but it never needs recharging :thumbsup Never needs Syncing :thumbsup and when the keys turned it all works :runyay

That is so simple but so is blue tooth..just cant get it to work thru one lousy headset  :|||| :|||| :cuss
I wish I wish
Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

terrydj

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 10:08:10 PM »
Yeah Bluetooth is good, but when you travel all day, grab a sleep by the road and off again or??? Go away for a rally that hours up the road stay a couple of days and then head off me thinks the headsets got no charge????
Ahhhh but then you could connect a cable to the headset and a charging point on the bike to charge it????? while your going along, but all the trendiness would be gone because you have a cable from your helmet to the bike :crackup :crackup :crackup :crackup :crackup

Offline sargent

• Every days a new adventure
  • Legendary Member
  • ST Rider - Collector, NSW
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 02:08:22 AM »
What system do you use to group it all Terrydj
Robert - White ST1100P (they're just better)

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 06:26:40 AM »
Tipsy
It will all go through one headset  :thumb, Adding a Wire3 to the StarCom replaces teh curly cord with a bluetooth unit to your headset.
Music isnt too much chop but the rest is fine and its then wireless from the bike to YOUR headset.
or replace what you have with the BikeComm and you get all the voices to your head (and the pillions too) with no wires

Offline Tipsy

• Landed Gentry
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Laurie
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 07:11:51 AM »
 :wht11 py

Thanks Dale
My machine is a single seater and I guess I will have to get rid of the shark tooth unit one day but will need to save bikies m hopefully by December this year

Tipsy
I am lost and haves gone to find myself
Now If I get back before I return
Please ask me to wait.

terrydj

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 03:32:01 PM »
What system do you use to group it all Terrydj

Over my time on the road I suppose I have used 4 different types including a late model Bluetooth setup?
2 setups had bad faults and were flogged off or ended up in the bin

I am on my second Autocom system and should never of got rid of my first. The things are excellent, you don't have to be a genius to set em up and once set up are set and forget. just turn the bike on and everything works :thumbsup
I broke twice the cable fittings on a very good unit used by more than a few on this site and the microphone once and the remote twice??? and its gone.

The cable from the headset to bike on the Autocom is a zillion times better than anything on the market and is foolproof. Nothing bends nothing breaks.

Don't care what the experts say, I only use things that work and work all the time regardless of Trendiness or Brand Name

Offline Desty

• ST Legend
    • My Website...
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 09:16:26 AM »
I have to agree with Terry on this one. I've tried a heap of different "solutions" for rider pillion/bike-bike/music/phone and the autocomm, in conjunction with the Garmin Zumo 550 GPS is the best, by far!.

As a side note, all the units I've tried, really have CRAP speakers for the helmet... and as much as I didn't want to, I decided to try earplugs with built in sounds. Now I'm not talking about the earbud style headphones that are so popular now, but proper in-ear plugs. I decided to try Earmould plugs with the optional add-in speakers. After trying earbuds, which ended up being uncomfortable and downright painfull if worn inside my helmet for any length of time, I was a bit dubious about paying $200 for earplugs... but let me tell you, Earmould plugs are THE BEST option for saving your hearing from wind noise while keeping you in contact with the world. After you've had them in your ears for 2 or 3 minutes and they warm up to body temp, you never notice that they're there. They dramatically cut down the wind noise without removing your ability to hear car horns etc

They actually mould the plugs IN your ears, which is quite an odd experience, but only lasts about 5 minutes while the material sets. Then there's a couple of processes before you leave with your new earplugs. They can be made plain or with speakers and can also be used for ear protection at work if needed. I can't recommend them enough, especially if you use a flip-face helmet as they tend to be noisier than solid helmets...  The high-pitched wind noise will, over time, damage your hearing and most likely leave you with Tinitus... just sayin :)

terrydj

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 02:48:17 PM »
"Mate" agree with everything you said

Offline KiwiRider

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 08:05:19 PM »
To cable or not to cable, that is the question..
Thanks to all for your comments, they have helped me work out what I want. Plenty of video's on You Tube too with similar comments but nothing from Aussie. Maybe I should make one when I do end up buying something.
Anyway, charging is not so much of an issue for me because of shorter rides. Music is probably going to be per MP3 player and buds, but in all reality I am thinking I don't need the distraction when riding.
As an aside TJ, the G4 cannot be charged as you go because when charging it doesn't operate... So good idea but a check in the cabled system column.
So I am thinking rider/pillion/other riders comms is what I need so bluetooth is perhaps the solution and pair with other riders. No UHF in my budget.
Thanks again and safe riding..

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 07:02:23 AM »
"So I am thinking rider/pillion/other riders comms is what I need so bluetooth is perhaps the solution and pair with other riders."

ONLY if they have the same brand Bluetooth headset, AND you generally cant all "chat" at once, usually a 1 to 1 connection with BT.
Just to clarify for you  :wink1, we have the Bikecomm Hola F10 that can pair 4 together and go over 900m , BUT each has to choose which of the other 3 to talk to, you can switch to others by a simple button push, but stilll 1 to 1 at any given time.

Oh and by the way try http://www.dmme.com.au/Demo%20Videos.htm for a few demo's of the StarCom Digitl in AUS  :thumb

BikeComm demo coming when i get 5 minutes to myself  :(.

i am currently running the latest BikeComm BK-02 and must say the audio quality and functionality exceeds the StarCom  :thumbs

Offline alphafang

• Yorkshire Gods Own County
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 11:16:01 AM »
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:02:53 AM by alphafang »
Ferret added.
Paul Lingard

Offline TheMechwarrior

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 09:22:51 PM »
Most of my riding will be on my own... :'(

So I added a Scala Rider G9 BT headset to my helmet and now that I've installed the software and set it up on the puter I'm in lurve!

My headset talks to me in a lovely female voice when I turn her on :wink1...Hello "The Mechwarrior"...  :crackup

"Radio On" I say and off she goes, brilliant.
Not happy with that station I tell her "Next Station" and off she goes  :grin

I'll pair the phone later tonight so I can bluetooth playlists or internet radio etc.
Honda CT200P
Honda CB250T
Honda CB250N
Honda CB400N
Honda CB750 4 (hard tail chopper with leather king queen seat)
Honda CX500
Honda CB900 Bol d'Or
Honda CBR600
Honda ST1100PY

Together Each Achieve More

Offline DaleMcLean

• It's just me ;-)
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 05:44:00 AM »
BK-02 demo up  |-i
 http://www.dmme.com.au/Demo%20Videos.htm

and yes that is my lovely wife talking on the UHF  :beer