Author Topic: Apple GPS apps  (Read 2876 times)

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • Guyra - NSW
Apple GPS apps
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:53:24 AM »
The following are the GPS apps that I have successful used now for some time..... :thumb

1- Tom Tom.....we use this as our "Turn by Turn" Navigation app for car and bike and even walking within a city centre. App uses AGPS and doesn't rely on 3G coverage..... The Tom Tom app is one of the more expensive apple Navigation apps at $69, but we use it like this....we have a iPhone each, a 3G iPad, and a daughter now driving with a iPhone.....all of the devices share the Tom Tom app.....updated regularly, usable POI, share location function via txt(data coverage needed) iPhones mount in cradle on Cars and bike. So as we have no need to buy and replace a GPS device now $69 ONCE off works out cheap to run 4 devices.

2- GPS Utility....$3.95....use this app as for 4WD applications and at Search & Rescue work, the app gives the ability to show your GPS locations in a number of mediums..... various Long/Lats, UTM, MGRS and convert between them. This is great for using it from a topographical ground based mapping and converting to Long/Lats for helicopter references and back, also has google earth mapping (data coverage required for this function only).

3- Mud Map HD (old VMS) and Mud Map2 (new version of Mud MapHD)......this app I use for my other hobby of 4WDing/Camping/hiking and SAR work. This app has a number of off-road maps for all over Australia with detailed maps on the more popular 4x4 destinations in variuos scales from 1:250K down to 1:50K i.e Gibb River Rd, Cape York, Flinders ranges, Simpson desert. The app also allows you to down load the 1:25K (lots of detail) Topoveiw maps for the particular area your travelling. POI's, plotting, bread crumbing, geocaching,
etc.

:beer

Chris
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
Re: Apple GPS apps
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:50:53 AM »
The only issue with AGPS is that once you are out of your networks coverage you lose the ability to update your location.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:06:09 AM »
No not at all......all "Active" GPS in a smart phone does is speed up the traditional GPS satellite capture time, by using the closest mobile phone tower to "jump" start the device from cold start up. When out of mobile/data range it works like a traditional GPS and needs to triangulate from a minimum of 3 Satellites to give Long/Lat/Alt, but they constantly look and gather information from between 8 & 12 satellites, depending on your device.

Even when without coverage I find I have faster capture time with the iPhone than the other 3x Garmin (non turn by turn) devices I have at my disposal.

However, you need to be using apps that have all your mapping on board the device and not need to access it via the Internet.

The apps I have listed have there info onboard, the only exception is with GPS utility if you wish to in addition view google earth/maps and in Tom Tom send txt messages advise of your location, all else is completely off line.

The Mud Map series is ALL completely offline, I use all these on a regular basis completely without mobile coverage, and did only last weekend when we drove a portion of the 4x4 Bridal trail at the Hill End RTE.

Cheers

Chris

Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 06:55:49 PM »
We tried AGPS several years ago on one of Heather's phones. Maps never updated after we left the network coverage. So just going on previous experience and at that time with the Vodafone network.

Now we Samsungs and if we need to use the GPS function they've set to be independent of the nework
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 10:20:22 PM »
I've used Metroview for a couple of years now. It works through my comms system via bluetooth. The only thing I don't like is the beeping noise when you go over the posted limit, which can be a good thing.
It tells you which way to go, so the screen doesn't need to be seen. Around $15 in the app store.

The updates come often, which is great in Perth with lots of new streets.

:blu13
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline Pocket STocker

• Global Moderator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Snuggled UP2ST2UP
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 08:43:16 AM »
Although Chris praises the iPhone Tom Tom we have on the bike I don't think it's the best option, it won't find David Jones, Myers, or any of the high quality shops I love to browse.  :'(

But we both agree it's great at finding Pubs on our travels  :thumb

Pockey  :wink1
Pockey

Skinny Milk Tantrum Speacilist #1

FarRider #757

pillions@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792420

Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life ;)

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 08:58:24 AM »
I am actually using the New Google Maps App, and it is far more accurate than anything i have used so far, I have Tom Tom, Navigon & Navman, Iphone Maps, don't confuse it with the Apple iPhone Maps, it is Google Maps, it does full voice communication, gives you simple to access phone numbers, and name and business search.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/google-maps/id585027354?mt=8

Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Offline Neale

• Legendary Member
  • Harrington Park, NSW
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 01:51:55 PM »
We use an app at work called Motion-X. it is great for recording your route and calculating distance and will also give averages of speed, altitude, location etc. very easy to use and share.
Neale

2009 ST 1300 Candy Apple Red

Offline Alfred

• ST Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 06:40:29 PM »
I second Goggle Maps, so far it's been proving pretty good.
2006 ST1300P

Offline Tackleberry

• QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 07:33:28 PM »
Personally run Garmin Zumo 660 GPS on the bike connected to my Starcom1 Advance, then have TomTom as well as Motion X apps on the iPhone. 

Got to say that even though the Motion X program doesn't have some of the features of the TomTom app, it is a nice smooth easy to operate application that I would be happy to recommend.  TomTom is a lot more 'glossy' finish, but Motion X for 1/3 of the price is definitely worth looking at.  Just for a thought I have also ran Google Maps, Garmin online maps, Australia & NZ NavFree & Whereis.  Whilst they all have some good points, I would personally prefer to use one of the first two. 
Steve
Only the guy in the glass matters..... 
Ride on Davo it's your road now.