Author Topic: Sena verses Camos Headsets  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania
Sena verses Camos Headsets
« on: August 28, 2013, 10:55:54 AM »
Sena SMH10 verses Camos BTS300 (both bluetooth intercom systems)...........and the result, no contest, Sena wins hands down!! :thumbs

I originally brought 3 Camos headsets from Dale 2 or 3 years ago, (I should add here that he no longer stocks them) and I've been using them ever since without any real problems, however I always had difficulty adjusting the volume while riding and I could never seem to get sufficient volume when receiving phone calls, then recently my riding buddy brought himself a Sena. I have to say I was so impressed with it that I also brought one and tried it out for the first time a couple of days ago. Wow, what an improvement on the Camos.! After setting it up and pairing it with my iPhone I donned the helmet and turned on my music........that was a mistake I'll never repeat, :eek I should have checked that the volume was turned down before doing so as the volume almost burst my eardrums. I really mean that, I almost shat myself, I didn't know what to reach for first, I could't get to the volume control fast enough!! After taking off my helmet and giving my head a couple of shakes I started to settle down a little.  After picking my riding buddy up of the ground, who fell over laughing at my antics we paired our sets and away we went. Intercom between the two sets was nothing short of perfect, even at highway speed our volume controls were turned right down, clarity was excellent. We had stereo music playing through the speakers and when we wanted to speak with each other it was just a simple tap on the jog dial. This can also be achieved by simply speaking into the mic.  As well as this you can make phone calls by speaking into the mic (call john smith), provided of course your phone has voice control.
I have Metro View navigation downloaded on my phone and that also streams through the speakers, incoming phone calls take preference over everything else, then comes intercom, then navigation and music.  I don't seem to have a problem at all with wind noise so I don't see a need to even think about earplugs.

Am I impressed with the Sena?, you bet your little tooty I am, so now I have a couple of Camos to advertise on Gumtree before I can buy a second Sena for my other helmet.  :grin

There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
Re: Sena verses Camos Headsets
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 11:02:34 AM »
Hi Couch, I have used the Sena SMH10 for a couple of years now a love it as you do - I even use noise mitigating earplugs in my ears (to stop the wind rush noise in the helmet), and the Sena happily blasts right on through for a great sound for both phone calls and MP3s.

Integrates all your other farkles together well too (as you pointed out).

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Wombat

• NR2016 Group
  • Surveyors are on the level
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 11:12:21 AM »
I too have been looking at the SMH10 and SMH10R through prestige comms and had an interesting chat in that they recommended the standard over the R in quality.

:wht11
Proud ozSToc 573
FR 719
LDR542
IBA59500
White has the power
A lost surveyor is called an explorer

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 11:19:27 AM »
I also read that somewhere. I purchased mine on the net through HD Cameras and received it 3 days later.
Couldn't fault their service!

I too have been looking at the SMH10 and SMH10R through prestige comms and had an interesting chat in that they recommended the standard over the R in quality.

:wht11
There are many paths to the top of the mountain.....but we all need to find our own way!

Offline royst1100

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 03:17:30 PM »
beuty about sena is you only need another helmet bracket and use one unit already setup for phone, gps, radio and anything else bluetoothed
regards
           Royce

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 06:55:05 PM »
And you can get a mounting bracket to use with wired earplugs.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Couch

• Tassie NR 2019
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 09:56:47 PM »
Thank's for the info, I wasn't aware of that.
Just ordered one, much cheaper than buying another complete unit.  :thumbsup

beuty about sena is you only need another helmet bracket and use one unit already setup for phone, gps, radio and anything else bluetoothed