Author Topic: Rider Pillion Bluetooth, some questions  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
Rider Pillion Bluetooth, some questions
« on: February 11, 2014, 11:10:09 AM »
I might be getting the wife onto the back of the ST1100.  I'd build up with short rides to a cafe sort of thing.  But I think having rider to pillion communications might be a good thing to include with the first helmet/PPE purchases before we even get onto the bike together.  Got a couple of queries.

I'd be mainly interested in only wireless/bluetooth rider/pillion comms while on the bike, maybe adding individual i-Pods later, don't really see any need for GPS or phone - so a simple system.  I've read a lot of good vibes about the Sena SMH10 and SMH10R, are these too advanced for my basic needs (and therefore overpriced for what I want).  Is there a simpler unit which supplies just what I want - wireless rider to pillion with voice activation and the option to add i-Pod (wouldn't matter if the i-Pod had to be plugged into the individual headsets, just don't want to have wires connecting the riders to the bike).

I use a flip front helmet because I wear glasses.  My wife will probably have a flip front helmet too, she wears glasses as well.  What is the best mic configuration for a flip front helmet, a boom mike or a wired in mic.  Up here in QLD, I most often ride around town with my flip front up, would this produce too much wind noise on a boom mic to allow normal communications and use the voice activation feature.  Even on the open road I often leave my faceplate one click open for vetilation, will this affect the mic - I know I'll pick up more wind noise which will affect the speakers performance but WARP Factor 10 on them should overcome that.
At my age you realise something very important, then ten minutes later you've forgotten it.

Offline BigTed

• Was: 2010 ST1300A (Black). Now: 2021 BMW r1250rt
  • Legendary Member
  • Perth, WA.
    • The Nook
Re: Rider Pillion Bluetooth, some questions
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »

Hi Steve, I've got a pair of Sena SMH10s and love 'em to bits. They are extremely simple to use (even with heavy winter gloves), and the audio quality is outstanding. The signal processor in the microphone works so well that most people don't even know I'm on the bike when I'm talking to them. If the visor (full face helmet) is fully open on the freeway, then it sounds like I'm in the wind, but the conversation is still quite reasonable.

They also have several different mounting options, but the one it comes with is the one you'll need with a flip-up - the mic is on a boom that can be positioned just right. The same mount (I think all of them actually) also has an AUX input so if your player doesn't support Bluetooth, then it will still work.

The current firmware also allows each headset to pair with their own music player, and to allow music to be played from one headset/phone through the intercom to the other.

They aren't cheap, but the good ones aren't. You can get cheaper versions on eBay, but their quality if poor, too many buttons, etc.

I had to play a little with the fitting - a bit of foam under the speaker to bring it close to the ear made a huge improvement in the audio quality: the Shoei TZX has a recess for such speakers, but it was just too deep. Be prepared to experiment a little - regardless of the system you end up with.

For me - 11/10 for the Sena - hard to go wrong.
Rob (in Who's Who)
STOC# 8422

"And yet it moves." - Galileo.

Turtle

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 12:37:36 PM »
Have to agree with all of the above and works a treat with sr10 added for uhf if needed at a later stage is fantastic

Turtle

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 06:16:15 PM »
+1 on the SMH10, I tried a cheaper model/type, and couldnt hear the phone above 80K. Now that I use a different mount with ear plugs(wired) its even better. The audio quality from the boom mic is excellent. It is a little expensive, but cheaper in the long run, battery life is excellent.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Pezzz

• NR2016 Group
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • ST1100 Rider
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 08:13:38 PM »
I use the Interphone F5. The advantage I find in that over the SMH10 is that when I or Trina are riding by ourselves around town, it comes with inbuilt FM radio.
Around town we often are just listening to radio and then buzz in by pressing the button to initiate intercom. Press the button again and back to radio. We have phones sync'd as well for long rides using as MP3 players and i now have the SR10 in the mix to push UHF through to mine.
If i was to go for another though i would definitely look into the Sena as they have more support for firmware updates etc.
Pezzz
:wht11
FarRider # 730

Offline Sean

• It's somewhat brighter after the dark!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 08:49:40 PM »
If your are thinking about the SMH10, look beyond the standard set ups. Instead of buying a ready made set and then buying the mount Brock now has, buy the module and then buy a separate mount. That way you can save upto $70 per unit. I contacted Sena direct and this method is also covered by the factory warranty. Aaron from Earmold in Brisbane was more than happy to get this in for me.
1995 ST1100P
2002 ST1100A
2004 ST1300A (Blue)

:wht11 :dred11 :blu13

Offline Williamson

• ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 09:10:15 PM »
..... a cheaper model/type, and couldn't hear the phone above 80km/h....
Not so with the $99.00 pair of BT Intercoms I got off eBay.

On a recent ride at around 110km/h on Calder Freeway near Taradale, behind the ST1300 screen, listening to music on my Blackberry through the Bluetooth function, answered a 'phone call (auto answer after three rings) from no. 1 son, when I got a chance talk, explained that I was on the bike on the Freeway at 110km/h, couldn't talk and I'd call him later.

When I called back he said he couldn't tell that I was on the intercom earlier as the sound was clear.

I need to wear earplugs, they take the wind noise away, but not the music or conversation when talking to Mrs W.

Only problem I've had is overcharging the batteries.  The first ones lasted for three years, then when I got the Blackberry with a USB/Mini USB charger I used it to charge the intercom units - BIG MISTAKE!!  Anyway I bought two more, only use the charger supplied and no more problems - so far.

Cheers,  Williamson (AKA Michael)

Motorcycling, the best time you can have with your pants on.
eBiking, the second best time you can have with your pants on
Afterlife, up there for the climate, down there for the company.
If I'd known I was gunna live this long, I woulda looked after myself better

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 09:14:57 PM »
If your are thinking about the SMH10, look beyond the standard set ups. Instead of buying a ready made set and then buying the mount Brock now has, buy the module and then buy a separate mount. That way you can save upto $70 per unit. I contacted Sena direct and this method is also covered by the factory warranty. Aaron from Earmold in Brisbane was more than happy to get this in for me.

How does that work?

Couldn't you buy one of these from Sena:

SMH-A0301   Helmet Clamp Kit – Boom Microphone
SMH-A0302   Helmet Clamp Kit – Attachable Boom Microphone & Wired Microphone
SMH-A0303   Helmet Clamp Kit – For Earbuds
SMH-A0304   Helmet Clamp Kit – For Earbuds with Attachable Boom Microphone & Wired Microphone
SMH-A0305   Helmet Clamp Kit – For Speakers and Earbuds
SMH-A0306   Helmet Clamp Kit – For Speakers and Earbuds with Attachable Boom Microphone & Wired Microphone

and then buy the modules?
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline ST2UP

• The Pockey Poker ;)
  • Administrator
  • Guyra - NSW
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »
Just setting up a Sena at the moment with Earmoulds and Helmet speakers and UHF, watch this space for a comparo between Sena, Bikercomm and Starcom.

:beer
Chris    

IBA #64116   FarRider #660   Ulysses #56339

st2up@ozstoc.com

Mbl: 0428792425

Sighted it....Wanted it...Chucked a fit...GOT IT !!!!

Offline Sean

• It's somewhat brighter after the dark!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 03:49:26 PM »
Biggles. That was the point. I saved $70 by buying the separate parts. I didn't want the basic clamp as the one I bought gives me the choice to have either option of speakers or earplugs. Aaron from Earbold was happy to help me out with the individual units. Sena did not ship direct to Oz at the time and the ebay offers didn't save me any money either. I contacted Sena in the US and they verified that they would cover the units bought this way with their usual warranty.
1995 ST1100P
2002 ST1100A
2004 ST1300A (Blue)

:wht11 :dred11 :blu13

Offline saaz

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • Canberra ACT
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 10:37:37 PM »
I have used the SMH10 with a Shark Evoline flip helmet. Easy enough to hear and transmit with the flip up, but it is better if you flip it down sometimes in windy conditions.  I always use earmold ear plugs.  I have a UHF radio setup as well through the SR10 hub.  I cannot tell whether it is a bluetooth to helmet or UHF radio transmission when alternating between them.  Battery life seems great, as I went from Canberra to Nambucca Heads and back with constant helmet to helmet connection and the UHF connected up, and the battery gave up coming into Goulburn on the way back.

My helmet clamp to use the earplugs is currently on it way back from WA so I have not tried it out the last week.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline johnnyYTED

• Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • STranger 1100 n BEEstY 1330cc
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 07:30:17 AM »
 :dred11
I have a SENA SM5 which is good but Ill upgrade to SM10 when I have the $$$  the '5' does the job but the 10 does it better..
Picton  if it doesn’t flood higher than previous times.
mobile 047 4488 436 
IBA#59147, FarRider #732
STranger 1998 ST1100, x Police
STrangler ST1300 2007 Charcoal Grey.
BEEstY 2017 Can-Am Daytona 1330.
maybe something with a little extra
:dred11 :Spyder

Online Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 10:22:43 AM »
I had a pair of the BT system and found them to be a pain in the neck waiting for them to pair every time they were turned on, and then waiting for them to turn off (you had to hold the button for a minimum time).
Does the Sena SM10 behavior better?  I gave up eventually and got the Starcom with curly cables to escape the bluetooth blues.

For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline tremarg

• ST Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 11:26:03 AM »
Agree with you Biggles, started on the BT path about 6 years ago and found that consistency was missing in the BT area. Gave up and went wired with Starcom. This worked well as it (Advance) had the connections that I needed that BT could not reliably do at the time. The problem with Starcom is they have not found a writer that can articulate the precise procedure for Rider/Pillion setups. It was only 12 months ago after wind noise issues that I got a CRO out and found out what was happening. It was all to do with adjustments and now all is good. BUT, the pillion does not like my taste in music, so am looking at the Digital. Again the Starcom manual is a little short in ascertaining whether this will meet all expectations. Fortunately, people like Dale can shed more light on some of the curlier issues thus making the system more purchasable.
It has been my opinion for some time that all of the smarts should be "on the bike" with BT links to the headsets. I see that this is starting to occur however I cannot get over the fact that with my current wired setup that works, I do not have to be concerning with charging anything.

Anyone got any feedback on the Starcom Digital vs Advance other than the 2 music inputs.
2008 Honda ST1300
1975 Honda CB750 F

"Having a positive mental attitude is asking how something can be done rather than saying it can’t be done"

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 03:33:03 PM »
The SMH10, when paired with another SMH10 (or 2 infact) stays that way. a touch on the jog buttons and away it goes.
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA