Author Topic: NEW POLL - Should we be able to Lane Split or Lane Filter?  (Read 28119 times)

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
NEW POLL - Should we be able to Lane Split or Lane Filter?
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:16:54 AM »
At nearly a metre wide, the ST is a big ol bus, but still capable of lane filtering in certain instances.

Although illegal here - do you think it would be better if we were allowed to lane share, filter or lane split to make our way up to the front of the traffic congestion?

A contentious issue - some say it's safer to be in front of everyone (so they know you're around), and some say filtering is too hazardous and fraught with danger.

It is legal in the UK and drivers are aware that motorcyclists are allowed to share their lane - rather than the attitude of 'bastard bikies - why can't they wait like everyone else?'

I voted YES to allow it - even though I probably wouldn't practice this myself on the ST.

You?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:24:31 AM by Diesel »
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Online Marcus

• Insert amusing quip here...
  • RTE Coordinator
  • It says Stringo on my shirt
Re: NEW POLL - Should we be able to Lane Split or Lane Filter?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 11:08:25 AM »
No I think It's way to dangerous...

I've never done it and never will

While in my car, I've changed my mind as to what lane I want to be in and have swapped lanes, heaps...So many times that when I come to traffic lights etc, I always leave enough room for me to turn my car into another lane if I need to.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 11:35:28 AM »
Yes. I do it occasionally on the freeway in stalled traffic. It takes a lot of concentration, and you have to look hard at the cars in front and do mind reading at the same time. Being on a White ST, I find the lanes actually open up a little instead of closing up.

Only knocked both mirror covers off once... :eek :eek

By the way, there is no law against it in WA, so its not illegal . You can be done for failing to overtake correctly if Plod takes a dislike to the way you rode but.... :-[
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:37:22 AM by Brock »
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline bluehonda

• Brad
  • ST Pilot
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:18:46 PM »
In some circumstances in NSW lane splitting is legal, but you need to understand the law to know how it can be so.

Think about the broken white line, the dividing line, between the rows of cars.

If you travel between the car on your left and the dividing line then you are simply overtaking as it's not necessary to leave your lane to overtake.  If you pass between the car on your right and the dividing line then you commit the offence of "overtake nearside". 
You can imagine a situation where 2 motorcyclists are travelling 2 abreast or even stationary 2 abreast and another bike passes them on the right without leaving the lane.  No offence committed.

I don't do it, I think the ST's a bit wide.

Brad
2007 Honda ST1300
1999 Honda ST1100 (till it's sold)
Yamaha DT230
Montessa Cota 314R
Suzuki DRZ400E

Ride like your life depends on it
The older I get the better I was!

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 12:23:12 PM »
Diesel has opened a can of worms with this one.

http://bikeraware.com/rr_lane_splitting.htm

Also lane spliting and lane filtering are not the same.

"Lane Splitting" is when a motorcycle travels between other cars in moving traffic.

"Lane filtering" is defined as moving between traffic when other surrounding traffic is stationary.

I used to lane filter sometimes but don't do it any more with the main reason that I rarely get to ride in the city any more. Also I haven't done it since having the 1100.

1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 12:52:04 PM »
Well it's not that long ago that I was riding in the UK and filtering on a daily basis. 

So as someone with a lot of experience in this, I have to say an absolute YES, it should be allowed. 

I can't believe it's not legal here!  Filtering through traffic is one of the key advantages of a motorcycle. 

If done properly, it is not particularly dangerous - I would consider there to be far more dangerous activities on a bike other than filtering.  If you look at the M25 during rush-hour gridlock, you'll see many bikes filtering between lanes for mile after mile.  I've done it myself plenty of times.  Yes there are some who think they can ride as fast as they like between lanes - they are asking for trouble.  But done properly, it's fine.

In the UK, filtering is part of Advanced Motorcycling and if you do not filter when appropriate you will fail your Advanced test.  Filtering is also part of Motorcycle Roadcraft (the Police rider's motorcycling handbook, which is the basis for Advanced riding) where it states:

When traffic is stationary or moving slowly in queues, motorcyclists can use their manoeuvrability and limited space requirement to make progress.  The advantages of filtering along or between stopped or slow moving traffic have to be weighed against the disadvantages of increased vulnerability while filtering.

Offline Streak

• NR2016 Group
  • Stampy Glitterballs
    • Australian ST Owners Club
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 12:54:08 PM »
i used to do it, and then i had an "experience" of a car driver opening his door and didnt see me, and well it cost me almost a $1000 in repairs to them and me, so know i wait patiently 90% off the time, unless it is a very very clear path.
Streak (Graham)
Storm Trooper
streak@ozstoc.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OzSTOC
2010 White DL650 Strom
FarRider #667
IBA #59145
Aussie Hard Arse #63

Online West Aussie Glen

• old fart
  • Willetton, Perth
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 01:09:18 PM »
While I did it for years in Sydney peak hour traffic and I guess still do it on the odd occasion I voted NO because there is always that chance the space between the cars will close up and suddenly no where for you to to go or a driver will not see you and change lanes in front of you.
Glen
Sold
1948 James 98cc 2 Speed, 1969 Suzuki A100-2
1970 Suzuki T250 Hustler, Honda CL100
Yamaha RD250C, 1985 Kawasaki GPZ250
BMW K75S, 78 Yamaha XS11
Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 88 GL1500
99 SE GL1500
In the shed
85 Kawasaki LTD250
88 GL1500 Outfit
08 ST1300
2013 GL1800
2013 GL1800 Outfit

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 02:42:24 PM »
I vote YES!, I did this for years in UK, and for quite a long time here in Adelaide and as long as you are careful and acutely aware of what is going on around you (aren't we all anyway?), then there is no reason why this can't be performed quite safely. What you can't do is storm down the narrow gap between stopped cars at normal speed and expect to survive until you get to the front of the queue!!

I agree about the difference between 'splitting' and 'filtering'; splitting, i.e. going between moving cars, is a game for those with a death-wish, but filtering should be quite acceptable!

Isn't amazing that some things are required in one place whilst being illegal in other places.

My 5 cents worth!

Cheers
Whizz

:13Candy
Cheers,
Paul
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 04:50:31 PM »
I vote yes for Lane filtering (not splitting as this has been pointed out to be different)

I do lane filter from to time but I don’t do it every time,  :think1 I guess about once a month on average.
When I do lane filter I’ll only do it if all the traffic is stopped and there is a sizable space between vehicles.  :thumb
I’ll move at a slow speed, and as Whizz said ride in a careful manner and be acutely aware of what is going on around me.

As many have said it is legal in other countries without too many issues, so it can be done without it causing accidents all the time.

I know a lot of  :cop that ride and they have all admitted to lane filtering every now and then, but… they all said it is illegal  :law and don’t recommend it because of this and only this.

So again I say yes it should be made legal  :thumb but only if done at a safe speed, I have seen so many riders fly through between traffic at the posted speed limit or higher. That’s dangerous and shouldn’t be legal :well
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Offline Dan

• QLD
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 05:31:51 PM »

So again I say yes it should be made legal  :thumb but only if done at a safe speed, I have seen so many riders fly through between traffic at the posted speed limit or higher. That’s dangerous and shouldn’t be legal :well

I think in the UK the guideline is something like 10-15mph above the speed of the traffic.  So if the traffic is moving, you can still filter (it's one and the same thing in the UK) - but you've got to be sensible about it.  If I was on the motorway and traffic is doing 20mph limit 70mph), then I would filter.  If traffic was doing 50mph, then I would not.  But that's just my take on it.

Offline LocuST

• Pakenham Vic
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »
I commute 40k's (each way) along one of Oz's busiest Freeways the Monash in both my car and bikes that I've had over the last ten tears, or so. The last few years the Monash had a lane added to its entire length, which made the going very slow by car and risky if you rode.

Over time you work out what you can and can't do and what other road users 'think' what you're doing. I've had people move over to allow me to split and others squeeze me as I attempt to move through. I might add that I don't split above 40-50k’s; I take my time and wear a Hi-Vis jacket when commuting.

I suspect most motorists see bike riders as cheats and some are ok with it and some aren't. And that's ok, I kind of like that. The oblivious ones who don't care, they're the one I worry about and I include other Motorcyclist in that group. Flying through, around & under other unsuspecting road users does us no favours.

As always, know yours and others limitations.
Chris
FarRider #375

Offline Malcolm6112

• Legendary Member
  • Armadale WA
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 08:37:46 PM »
As a heavy vehicle operator, I would say no. I've seen too many close calls. The lanes are too narrow. My truck is the maximum width, which doesn't leave much room for anything.

Cars are fortunate enough to have metal around them. We have nothing.

:blu13
Malcolm
2004  ST1300A

Farrider 518
IBA       58213

Offline Shaun

• Professor
  • Ride and Teach
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 09:21:05 PM »
Yes to lane filtering, no to lane splitting.
I lane filter generally at about jogging speed. I want to have plenty of time to deal with someone deciding on a rapid lane change.
:bl11 Blue 2001 ST1100 ABS Pan European (RIPieces) :(
New STeed: 2006 6th Gen VFR800Fi Sports Tourer

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 11:08:08 PM »
I've filtered plenty of times, especially on the Bruce Highway when the traffic has come to a standstill for miles due to a wreck or one of those "phantom roadblocks".  Our mirrors are at the unfortunate position of being exactly the same height as car mirrors, so it can require some skill at times.  I was lucky a few weeks ago not to be booked.  The coppers were in an unmarked car and followed me into the Servo I entered and came over while I was filling and said they would need to see me when I'd paid my bill.  While I was in the queue at the cashier the ladycop came in and said they'ds been called to another job and I wasn't to do it again because I would be fined (not because it is dangerous, but because in Qld it's illegal).

What I'd like to see is for us to be allowed to use the bike lane, always giving priority to push bikes.  That makes really good sense to me.  Most of the time I'm riding I see the bike lane is devoid of bikes.

In the hundreds of threads in which this has been hammered out, one of the best points made is being allowed to go to the front of the queue frees up one whole car space in the traffic.  We're off the lights so fast (IF you don't stall it!) we effectively take up no space in the traffic flow, thus reducing congestion.

Filtering therefore makes perfect sense to me.  I know tintop prisoners mostly hate us for doing it (I ignore their little "toots").  That's the price one pays for having superior transportation.

Another funny thing happened on the way to somewhere.  A truckie took exception to my pulling up to the front beside him and blew his horn at me.  I looked up at him and blew my (louder) airhorn back at him.  He cracked up.   :thumbs

For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

Offline scarp

• Legendary Member
  • Huntingdale, Westralia
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »
+1 Biggles
That's one of the joys of riding a bike & do it when needed & I agree that Car drivers hate it but hey they hate cyclists or anyone who filters thru the traffic.
As long as you don't make an impact on their progression by stalling etc then go for it
FR# 431
IBA# 60317

rendog

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 11:20:25 PM »
I filter every day going to & from work.
So now you tell me it's illegal I will just have to stop it   :whistle
People are pretty polite about it up here.
I've only had one knob pull over on me in Town.
I don't split because I don't trust anyone else that much.
But I will squeeze into gaps if the traffic is staggered; indicating before changing lanes.
It really is like living in a large country town  :thumbs
Viva la Queensland

Offline saaz

• Canberra ACT
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 01:28:31 PM »
Yes for me, when safe to do so. I don't do it that often as I don't commute to work often, and the roads are not that busy here.  If car drivers don't like it, ask them to swap vehicles if it starts pissing down rain if they don't want anyone having an unfair advantage over others due to the type of their vehicle.  You put up with the good and the bad features of whatever you drive/ride.
John
(Ridden on and forever in our hearts)
1996 Honda ST1100P
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Ozstoc, STOC #7239, Farrider #461 Ulysses #061681, IBA #59143 and some others

Offline Whizz

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • Paul. Ipswich, QLD.
    • Instrumented Control Solutions Pty Ltd
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 02:34:47 PM »
Well said Sazz, car drivers are only jealous because it is actually possible for us to lane filter, they can't do it in their tin-tops, and if they can't then why should anyone else be allowed to! Now that I live outside the city I don't do it anywhere near as much as I used to but when I lived in Adelaide and worked in the CBD I did every day without fail and never had any problems...except glares from car drivers and I don't care about them, I have broad shoulders and a big fast bike, why should I give a s**t what their opinion is?

Cheers all
Cheers,
Paul
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is!!
Red, 2004, ST 1300A

Offline winston66

• Legendary Member
  • 1996 Yamaha Royal Star XVZ13, 2003 ST 1300,others
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 03:08:47 PM »
It is interesting to read all of the relevant comments, and I must say that in the main there is so much that is true to the enjoyable and safe use of our chosen mode of transport.
I do find however that a lot of confusion and disparity exhists with all the different road authoritys that exhist here in Australia.
I believe that for me on a Motorcycle when in traffic it is best to never be in a hurry or impatient, sometimes I must admit that i do break this rule.
 However here in W.A. when either lane splitting or otherwise ,it is totally illegal to either change lanes or even cross the unbroken white line  when approaching traffic lights ,or even when overtaking another vehicle ,when the lane is marked by an unbroken white line on your side of the lane, This marking is prevalent at the approach to Traffic Lights, and at many other locations that may be deemed to be hazadous for any reason.
 So all I can say is ride with care, and stay safe.
Cheers to all.
 Winston66 Northampton Western Australia.
winston66 Northampton
Ulysses #56870
Current Rides,
1996 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star,
2003 ST 1300 A (red)
Mazda Miata MX5 Turboed 14 sec.
2006 ST 1300 ABS Ex Police (white)
Honda CT 110 Postie, (Being rebuilt)

Offline Aj1300

• aj1300
  • KTm
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 04:38:39 PM »
I do it went the traffic is at at stand still and I just sneak through with care.. Even had a copper on a bike follow me through and when I got to the traffic lights he said as long as the traffic is at a stand still and you are not racing through you will be right.
I thing as long as you are doing it safely  you will be right.  :blk13
Adam aj1300/ KTM

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 11:51:24 PM »
Even had a copper on a bike follow me through and when I got to the traffic lights he said as long as the traffic is at a stand still and you are not racing through you will be right.
I thing as long as you are doing it safely  you will be right. 

And therein lies the problem.  The  M/C Coppers themselves know it is BS and might leave you alone but the tintops will nail you every time because they think like car drivers, not like riders.

If we ever get uniform country-wide laws they will most likely have to be the most conservative from every State, which means there will be no filtering allowed because some States forbid it.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline gerd

• Brisbane (Springwood)
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 08:51:27 AM »
I use the Gateway in Brisbane quite frequently and will lane filter in the new sections where there is plenty of space between lanes. You need to be careful and also look behind you before moving to lane filter as quite often there is a smaller and faster sports bike coming through. It is risky and requires a heightened level of defensive riding.

I also frequently ride a bicycle to work (not on the Gateway) so I am used to anticipating mindless car behaviour.

:dred11
gerd gabriel
2000 ST1100A

Offline Diesel

• Administrator
  • QUEEEENSLANDER!!!!
    • The Review Guys
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 09:00:42 AM »
Just found a vid of a chap in the UK filtering through traffic on a ST1100. He is quite good at manouvring this large bike. Seems like the traffic is obliging too with some good space being left between lanes for this purpose.....

ST1100 filtering in UK traffic

Cheers, Diesel
FarRider #416   IBA #55491  
OzSTOC Life Member
:candystwheelie       www.dieselst1300.blogspot.com.au

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 09:19:18 AM »
That all looked very safe.  He let the truck do the lane change and didn't rush to the front at the round-about.  Took it carefully through the narrow gaps etc.
Unfortunately, that seems to be one step up from what is proposed in NSW where the traffic has to be stopped.  There is no doubt that when the traffic is rolling the risk of a sudden lane change is huge requiring real vigilance..