Honda ST1100 Section > "How To..." Instructions and Pics for Regular Maintenance Jobs specific to the ST1100...

Replacing Rear Brake Pads

<< < (2/2)

spanner:
Alan,

I have loved these simple and not,so,simple 'how to' instructions .

Many thanks

mikep:

--- Quote from: Greencan on December 21, 2016, 04:21:36 PM ---
One, thing to bear in mind when replacing the pads blind, be sure that the pad pressings (back plate), correctly locates in its leading end retainer, it is too easily dis-lodged after the pads are removed and unfortunately new pads can still be returned, pin reinstalled, but the pads (after coming upto a high temp), will not return after the brake is released...big damage insues thereafter :'(   

Have a great Christmas🎅

Cheers the can:-)

--- End quote ---
I've just replaced my rear brake pads,  I re used the steel backing plates. Not sure what they're for? On every car I have done the plates were to squeal when the pads wore down too much, but these were too short to touch the brake disk even with the pad material gone completely. I noticed Alan's brake pads seemed to not have the backing plates installed, unless i missed it. I agree the plates do come off easily when trying to reinstall the pads,  it happened once during my reinstall. I thunk I got them on ok, but your comment had worried me. Are they really needed?

alans1100:

--- Quote from: mikep on August 13, 2018, 02:27:17 PM ---
 I noticed Alan's brake pads seemed to not have the backing plates installed,...........Are they really needed?

--- End quote ---

Usually I would put the plates in but the calliper wouldn't move any further so I left them out. The calliper needs to come off and get an out of sight slide pin lubricated.

Whether they are needed or not is debatable as they don't make any difference to braking in or out.

The first set of pads I had done on the bike were done at a dealer and they didn't fit them but I did when I installed the OEM pad sets I bought.

mikep:
Well, they're in now and are OK. I can't really see any need for them, but i guess i'll have to think about again in about 60,000k   :whistle

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version