Author Topic: Dual Motorcycle Camera (DV188)  (Read 18297 times)

Offline Calsonic

• Jericho Productions
Re: Dual Motorcycle Camera (DV188)
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2021, 09:50:20 PM »
Ill do an install rundown too. This unit is waterproof so my intention is to mount the screen on my dash to use as a rearview mirror while riding. Just got to figure out how to mount it as it does not come with any sort of mounting hardware so I will have to fabricate something.
Honda ST1100A :bl11
Suzuki GT750
Yamaha XS250
Kawasaki Z400

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • RTE Coordinator - Strathpine, QLD
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2021, 08:29:37 AM »
The 988 looks interesting and I look forward to your review on it :thumbsup
My Ride: 2023 ST1800   :thumb
OzSTOC #104   STOC# 8512   IBA # 59142
Find me in The Who's Who of OzSTOC!

I like shiney things :grin
One of the Dave, Dave, Dave and Duncan crew 8)

Bodø

« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2021, 08:36:29 AM »
Me too.

Online CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2021, 11:40:27 AM »
Ill do an install rundown too. This unit is waterproof so my intention is to mount the screen on my dash to use as a rearview mirror while riding. Just got to figure out how to mount it as it does not come with any sort of mounting hardware so I will have to fabricate something.

Most sites that I find selling the unit show some mounting hardware (although obviously not directly ST-compatible).  I was wondering if something like this would work:
https://www.ja-gps.com.au/RAM/rap-b-202u-gop1/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA9P__BRC0ARIsAEZ6irhovXrrCX_NtAOPBTB7Kz7zfl15vIMQPdai6EBSyQQKnsgbNxCMp2kaAsr2EALw_wcB

A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

The following users thanked this post: Calsonic

Online CallMeSteve

• Steve, Ruth and STrudel
  • Legendary Member
  • Eatons Hill, Brisbane.
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2021, 11:45:51 AM »
FYI I found a discussion of it over here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/dv988-motorcycle-dashcam.42337/

It includes a pic of how one guy mounted his.

Did yours come with the GPS option?  It's not clear to me whether this is standard.
A man rides on his STeed, says “Why am I short of attention? Got a short little span of attention”.

You can call me Steve, with apologies to Paul Simon.

:wht13

current:
ST1300 2014 Police

pre-kids:
CX500
CB900
CB400NB
CB350
1964 Yamaha YG-1 80cc

IBA #76608,  FR #1170

Bodø

« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2021, 04:48:56 PM »
My model says you can add a GPS device to it but one didn't come with the product.  I haven't looked into it any further.

The following users thanked this post: CallMeSteve

Offline troy_s

• ST Legend
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2021, 08:43:31 AM »
Pretty sure there was no mounting hardware with mi - apart from some cable ties and double sided tape. The tape was near useless and was quickly replaces by a couple of self tapping screws. Decided the control panel was not going to be a thing (proved correct and has lived under the rear seat since

Bodø

« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2021, 08:53:46 AM »
Mine lives in the top box.  I can still access it to change sd cards when a duffel bag is strapped to the pillion seat.

Offline Calsonic

• Jericho Productions
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2021, 07:23:39 PM »
After realising it does have a mount mechanism, (thanks Steve) I intend to mount it on top of my dash where I did have a cam mounted with the exact same mounting so thats a bonus. I'm not concerned about having a GPS in it as I have also ordered the Quadlock phone mount for my iPhone which I use Waze for GPS which is bluetooth to my helmet so the cam display will be purely as a rearview mirror on my dash which I think it worth having.

Hope to get it all this week and have installed ready for the long weekend and lots of riding :-)
Suzuki GT750
Yamaha XS250
Kawasaki Z400

The following users thanked this post: ruSTynutz

Offline Gadget

• Just Ridin'
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2021, 07:54:16 AM »
The purpose of the GPS module in the dashcams, is to record the location and speed. Very helpful for insurance purposes and possibly for speeding tickets (provided you weren't speeding). 

The GPS in the dashcams is not for navigating.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gary
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Then  :blu13 Now :Spyder
Life's too short to be miserable, so enjoy it! :)
OzSTOC #257
FarRider #810
IBA #59140

Mob: 04 2448 3555

The following users thanked this post: johnnyYTED, Calsonic

Offline Calsonic

• Jericho Productions
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2021, 11:57:46 AM »
The purpose of the GPS module in the dashcams, is to record the location and speed. Very helpful for insurance purposes and possibly for speeding tickets (provided you weren't speeding). 

The GPS in the dashcams is not for navigating.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Well that makes sense. Shame they didn't offer that as a selectable item at checkout as I would have likely added it at the same time.

Cal
Suzuki GT750
Yamaha XS250
Kawasaki Z400

Bodø

« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2021, 12:45:28 PM »
Is the mic in the screen part or do you have a cabled one?  I have an older model (same as Shiney's) and I keep the panel in the top box with the wired mic placed on my bike's dash.  It gets no wind interference there (admittedly I don't have an ST) except on the odd occasion I pull over to take a photo on a day when I have a tailwind.  an you change the color of the timestamp or is that blue it?  Mine is white.

The mic is built into the screen on this unit. I have not looked at trying to change the time stamp colour. That was default. I have not even set the time and date yet :-)

Are you sure about the mic?  I bought a DV988 recently and put it on my new Xmax earlier this week.  If had one.  This thing with the button and blue LED is also the microphone.  I haven't got around to putting mine on the dash yet so it's in the top box with the unit.  The timestamps are indeed blue and I don't think I can change it.  Oh well, at least I'll know which bike the images came from, not that I am expecting the Xmax to go out of suburbia very often.

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2021, 01:38:28 PM »
The photo/microphone unit in the picture looks the same as the DV188... maybe you have two microphones?

Bodø

« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2021, 01:42:52 PM »
The photo/microphone unit in the picture looks the same as the DV188... maybe you have two microphones?

That's why I recognised it as soon as it came out of the box.  I didn't have the wireless thingy that was shown in the image of ether this or the install DV988 thread.  I didn't lose any sleep over that because I doubt I'd use it.  Early days yet but images do appear better on this model.  I'll know for sure when I go through video of this morning's ride in the hills.

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2021, 07:24:10 PM »

That's why I recognised it as soon as it came out of the box.  I didn't have the wireless thingy that was shown in the image of ether this or the install DV988 thread.  I didn't lose any sleep over that because I doubt I'd use it.  Early days yet but images do appear better on this model.  I'll know for sure when I go through video of this morning's ride in the hills.

I look forward to hearing your impressions about the difference between the footage quality of the two units :popcorn :popcorn :popcorn

« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2021, 02:23:49 PM »
Only done a few short tests with it but overly not happy.  Rode it for the first time since the weekend today.  Clock was back to factory reset.  I think it drains my powerbank faster that the dv-188 and flattens the battery , hence losing the time.  I'll have another look on sunday.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

Bodø

« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2021, 05:25:30 PM »
Here's a bit of footage from last weekend.

https://youtu.be/QBvAN9b0Lgk

I am happy with the images and think they look better than those from the DV-188 on the kwaka.  Some of that may be down to vibration.  It certainly handles riding into the sun a lot better.

I am not overly fussed about the audio just yet as I haven't put the microphone where I want it, behind the dash like the kwaka.  I don't have any holes/gaps for the wire to go through without it looking tacky so shan't attempt it for a little while yet.

At a loss to how the battery was dead to the point that the time/date went back to factory mode but have turned off parking mode in the hope that will make a difference.  I shall see when I take it for another ride on sunday.

The following users thanked this post: Shiney

« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2021, 06:44:06 AM »
Testing done.  Overall opinion of DV-188 v DV-988

Daytime footage:  988 is much cleaner.  I think a bit of it is to do with the vibration of the bike but still think the picture is a lot cleaner.  However, buildings are somewhat distant and much more fish-eyed than the 188.  One thing I liked about the mobius camera was you can adjust the field of view.

Nightime footage:  six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Audio:  Hard to say.  I haven't worked out how to mount the microphone where I want it without the wire looking tacky so it's still in the topbox, but I am guessing much of a muchness.

Timestamp:  I don't like the blue of the 988 and it's a bit small compared to the white of the 188.  It is much more clearer in the dark but I still think they should have stuck with white and larger font.  The gps dots disappeared when I turned off the gps function.

Power:  The 188 occasionally freezes on start up.  I've never experienced this with the 988.  Likewise the 188 didn't turn itself off which flattened the kwaka's battery one weekend.  I have since disonnected the red cable to the bike and now use the usb one provided with a powerbank.  If I forget to disconnect it I have a flat power bank but can still start the bike.  This system is also good to let it run whilst inside shopping.

Battery:  The 188 has an internal battery.  When the power bank runs out it stops recording and turns itself off.  The battery maintains the date and time settings.  The 988 has no battery and a super capacitor instead.  It can only hold the date and time settings for about 24 hours before resetting to the default (july 1st 2020 midday).  Given I only use the xmax for shopping and it comes out once a week it means I have to either constantly reset the date and time.  I bought a solar powered kit which I am hoping will overcome this problem.

Waterproof:  Both cameras are water proof but only the 988 console is.  Mine sit in the topbox so it's not an issue.  Retrieving a memory card from the 988 is much more difficult and I have to carry a small tool or knife of some sort to get it to come out.  Fortunately I shan't be changing it on road like I do the kwaka.

Filenames:  I prefer the 188 version.  The 988 version is helpful when dates and times stuff up though.

I think that's everything.  If there's anything anyone wants to know feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 07:50:58 PM by Bodø »

The following users thanked this post: Shiney, Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2021, 12:43:15 AM »
Thanks for the review and comparison Bodø :-++ :-++ :-++

I think I'll stick with the DV188 for now :thumbsup

Cheers
Shiney

« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2021, 12:52:52 PM »
My DV-988 died this morning.  More than a bit disappointing because I've only had it a couple of months ad rarely gets used.  The DV-188 on the kwaka is still going after two and half years of being used almost every day.

I went to do shopping and plugged it into a powerbank like I usually do and got no response.  Got home and fiddle with a few things but got nothing, although I could see the blue lamp in the wire controller/microphone was flashing.  Disconnected the console and connected it to a power point inside.  Booted up fine and then beeped like hell with a prompt no camera is connected.  Went back to the bike and connected everything, connected a power bank and again nothing. 

Next step was to disconnect everything and connect a power bank.  Same response as when I connected it to the wall, boots up, and them beeped like mad that no camera was connected.  Disconnected the power, connected one camera and tried reconnecting power.  It was the rear camera and everything booted up, started recording, but with the incessant beep and a prompt of no (front) camera connected.  Shut it down disconnected the rear camera, connected the front camera and nothing.  Tried again with the camera connected to the other cable.  Again nothing.

I now know the fault is within the front camera.  It's also the most difficult one to change and reroute cables so I'm not really in a position to do anything.

Not happy Jan.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 01:21:52 PM by Bodø »

Online ruSTynutz

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
    • "Destined to Drive" Driving School
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2021, 01:19:59 PM »
Bugger!  :fp

2005 Honda ST1300A

Online Shiney

• Dave
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2021, 04:22:14 PM »
Thanks for the update Bodø.

As a final test I suggest:
* Remove the DV-988 console from the scooter.
* Unplug the DV-188 console on the kwaka and plug the DV-988 console in (if the connections on the cables are the same).

This should let you know for sure if the issue is with the DV-988 console or not.

* If it all works the final test is to plug the DV-188 console into the cables on the scooter.

If the the main camera is busted it should show up blank on the DV-188 however if the issue is with the powerbank it won't do anything.

NOTE: If the cables won't connect from one console to the other, try running an extension cord from the wall out to the scooter to power the DV-988 on the scooter and see it you still get the same issue just to rule out the powerbank being the cause.

Cheers
Shiney

The following users thanked this post: Jdbiker, ruSTynutz

« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2021, 04:32:05 PM »
I thought of that before when the DV-988 wasn't storing the date and I had a spare DV-188 console lying around but the cables aren't compatible/\.  The fault is in the camera or its cable itself.  Fortunately I only use that bike for local shopping so should get by with gopros that don't do much else these days.

Bodø

« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2021, 04:33:43 PM »
The issue wasn't the powerbank.  The console won't boot up if the front camera is connected.

Offline Jdbiker

• NR2024 Rally Team
  • Supreme "2000" Club Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2021, 05:03:04 PM »
It’s possible the camera cable could have come undone.
Jdbiker.
2008 red ST1300A
1980 Yamaha XS 1100
1974. Yamaha TX 500 sold
1984   Kawasaki GT 750
1975  Honda GL1000 selling

Honda XL 250 sold
Suzuki TS 100
2000 Honda ST1100P
1988 Enfield Bullet 350
 1941 Royal Enfield WD/C 350 engine
2021 Royal Enfield Bullet 500