Honda ST1100 Section > Oils, Oil Filters & Servicing ST1100

Oils for good clutch operation

(1/6) > >>

John g:
 Here's a question the brains trust out there may be able to answer.Being new to the st1100 ,having owned this one for only 3 months I decided to change the oil at 60,000 ks.The previous owner used Motul fully synthetic .I replaced the oil and oil filter. I used shell ax7 Semi synthetic .Over a short period of time the gears seem to be a bit notchy especially when changing up under high revs.My question is this.Is there an oil out there that is particularly good for clutch operation.I read in the forums that oils with zinc may have some benefit .As a matter of interest I replaced the oil filter with a k&n filter .AFter 1300 ks it decided to leak all over my back tyre while I was away on holidays at Halls gap.A continuation off the Robe st dinner.At the caravan park I removed the filter and found the seal distorted  I carefully reshaped the seal and put it back on and hand tightened as hard as I could .It stopped leaking and got me back to port Elliot Sa .I now have a genuine Honda oil filter ready to fit with whatever oil you good people suggest .The Honda filter looks superior to me especially in the seal department and only cost me a dollar more.I know which one ill be using in the future! looking forward to your replies.   Regards John g

alans1100:
I think you'll find the clutch will sort itself out. I had a similar issue when I did my first oil change - I had trouble getting into 1st and a little less trouble in the other gears. Being a wet clutch a change in oil type can cause some issues but after a few hundred km and the new oil in clutch it sorted itself out - no issue since. My last few changes have been Castrol 4T and as with some others using Repco z436 oil filter which I have to make sure is tight enough or it weeps a little.

I've used the Advance before but only 'cause I was working for Coles Express at the time.

Brock:
I use Penrite HPR 20 W 50 extra 10 (I think, in Thailand so cant check). If you look at the bottle, you should see that it a diesel rated oil (has extra zinc). It is a very good oil for the 1100 and 1300. filter is repco ROF135

Wombat:
Penrite now have motorcycle specific oils and are shown on their website. There is also an ability to talk to their techs online so any questions you have can be answered straight away. As Brock has said the diesel oil is being used now but always check for use with wet clutches. I had full synthetic in mine and it felt and sounded loose. I went back to the mineral Castrol 4T and had no problems. It does take a little while to get the feel of the boxes in shifting and find that sweet spot
Cheers  :grin
 :wht11

Nigel:
Hi all I use Penrite HPR 15/50 Diesel Semi Syn with a Rof 135 filter. Full zinc and wet clutch friendly...stops notch y gears...................... :wht11

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version