Author Topic: Not as good as they are trumped up to be? Lithium Batteries.  (Read 5844 times)

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • 98 ST1100 Portland, SW Vic coastal.
Not as good as they are trumped up to be? Lithium Batteries.
« on: November 09, 2016, 12:34:11 PM »
Had flat Lithium battery a couple times in the past week, but a ten minutes charge and it was good enough to fire up the bike.
Tested alternator and it's fine.
Lithium is only a couple of years old, so I was a bit disappointed when I charged the battery all night last night, only to discover that the voltage was dropping by the minute after removing the charger. 3 hours and it was down to 7 volts, barely enough to light the dashlights.

Replaced the battery a few minutes ago. $170. Very disappointed at such a short life for such a high price.
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
  • Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane
Re: Not as good as they are trumped up to be? Lithium Batteries.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 12:56:58 PM »
Hmm. So we're warned.  Maybe it was a bad batch.  I had one in the ST13 I sold and it was still going strong after nearly 2 years and 35,600 km.
I was keen on the CCA they produce, but at double the price, the CCA from an acid battery will do nicely.  The guy at Battery World demonstrated on the one I bought from him that the CCA on it was quite respectable at 250 IIRC.
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

OzSTOC #16  STOC #6135  FarR #509  IBA #54927

The following users thanked this post: Kev Murphy, medicbiker

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 03:06:46 PM »
Best to be aware that they CAN fail, and very rapidly... would hate to be off somewhere camping and have a failure, and I am pretty sure that I cannot push start the ST without the advantage of a downhill gradient.
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

Offline twisted 1

• ST Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 04:33:49 PM »
Have an SSB AGM in my 1300 coming up on 4 years and stiill goiing strong, just gotta remember to keep em on charge when your not using them regardless of what type of battery.
Life's Too Straight Without The Twistys

The following users thanked this post: Kev Murphy

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 05:35:32 PM »
Lithium batteries are supposed to hold their charge for many, many months without the need for recharge.
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

Offline twisted 1

• ST Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 05:54:49 PM »
Yeah they are supposed to do that, I work with batteries everyday and still dont have complete trust in all the blurb about lithium batteries. On paper they far outweigh anything else on the market but Im still to be convinced.

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 06:07:53 PM »
and I am pretty sure that I cannot push start the ST without the advantage of a downhill gradient.

...think you'll need a bit more than a good hill Kev, especially if the energy level of the battery isnt enough to get the igniter to provide a spark! Not unless of course you have figured out a way of bump-starting an ST with the ignition on that isolates the lights. The joys of wasted spark ignitions and a dodgey battery hey;-)

Just a thought :-)

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 06:40:54 PM »
I agree with Greencan, Kev.
A few years I flattened my ST1100 battery by leaving the heated hand grips on all day after riding to work in the Canberra cold weather. There was a large car park on a decent slope at Russell Offices but it wasn't enough to get the bike started.
My Lithium battery is now dead flat. I think I may revert to a cheaper model tomorrow. In fairness, the bike has not been ridden since March this year. My 25 amp Ctek 3 stage charger is not making any difference. Perhaps the elderly Ctek was not designed to charge Lithium batteries.

Offline cravenhaven

• Coomba Bay, NSW
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 06:55:04 PM »
I had similar problems with my Lithium battery and only managed to eek out a year or so of use. The original Honda Lead/acid battery lasted for over 6 years though subsequent L/A have not done so well. but certainly better than the lithium SSB one.

Offline twisted 1

• ST Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 07:05:18 PM »
They do make chargers for lithium batteries but generally if you have a charger with an agm setting thats pretty close to the charging rate they require. 25 amps is a bit much for that size battery about 4 amps is good.

Offline Brock

• Tardis Tech
  • UNBELIEVABLE "5000 Posts" Member
  • White is the fastest
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 07:30:48 PM »
25 Amps, is the amount the charger can supply, not what it pushes into the battery
Brock
Asian Correspondent
2003 Honda ST1100PY

Ulysses #32829
STOC #8239
OzSToc # ??
Kinross WA

Offline Greencan

• Legendary Member
  • ST Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 07:37:00 PM »
Hiya Lionel et al...

The original Honda Lead/acid battery lasted for over 6 years though subsequent L/A have not done so well. but certainly better than the lithium SSB one.

...IF!...when I get back to the Gold Coast next year (anytime) and IF I not only get my bike there to not only start after almost a year (have had no problems with similar absent periods over the past 11 years)...AND I manage to routinely run the bike up there for 3-4/52...which will make this bike 20 years old (had it since new, even helped in its un-crating), and still on its 2nd battery  :wink1

Cheers, the can :-)

PS The bike was last started and run without a hitch in May this year.

Offline STroppy

• STroppy (Terry - the name on the TeeShirt)
  • RTE Coordinator
  • Legendary "1000 Club" Member
  • CountryMember! Mob 0412499625
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 07:46:58 PM »
and I am pretty sure that I cannot push start the ST without the advantage of a downhill gradient.

...think you'll need a bit more than a good hill Kev, especially if the energy level of the battery isnt enough to get the igniter to provide a spark! Not unless of course you have figured out a way of bump-starting an ST with the ignition on that isolates the lights. The joys of wasted spark ignitions and a dodgey battery hey;-)

Just a thought :-)

For the 1300, Battery has to have enough oomph to not only provide spark but also to power fuel pump and injectors. I have roll started an 1100 though. Still needs enough power for spark, carbies usually have enough fuel in them to get bike going without fuel pump powered up.
Terry, Canberra 0412499625
Ulysses #22354, FarRider #761
Current bikes 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, 2008 ST1300
Previous bikes1948 Triumph Tiger 500 Twin - sprung rear hub, 1963 BSA Bantam 175, Yamaha 75cc & DT250, Honda ST1100, 400N & CX500 sports, BMW K100RS & K100 LT, Harley Electra-glid

Offline Nigel

• Legendary "1000 Club" Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »
Always an interesting topic..............My St is a little over 3 years in the stable and was supplied with a trickle charger on purchase. Don't know how old battery is but other than a loose terminal at Broken Hill it is working a treat. My VFR had a new battery fitted on purchase in Oct 15. Has an alarm didn't have a charger on it and yes 6 weeks later dead as a doe-doe. Fitted up trickle charger and good as gold. Scoot is 4 years old with factory battery fitted and on trickle charger and no issues. All these bikes start every time with no issues, a trickle charger is the answer. These are just standard Lead Acid batteries.....just my 2c worth...................... :wht11 
Introducing My 2007 BMW K 1200 GT
Avoid Disappointment, Expect the Unexpected.
Nigel               0447333268
Mooroolbark But its a secret.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 09:27:20 PM »
I usually stick with OEM Yuasa and get three years of use. My current one is SSB equivalent to the OEM and it's been in over 12 months.

Mine is used 5 out 7 days a week on average even if it's down to the local shops (2k round trip) and maybe 2 (sometimes 1) runs a month to Port Pirie (220k round trip) plus the RTE rides family visits etc. and that all keeps the battery up to spec.
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 10:43:12 PM »
Years ago when I bought my 25 Amp Ctek charger I cut the cable with the alligator clips in half. I then installed an Anderson plug on each end so I could reconnect the cable to charge batteries in the traditional manner.
I then made up a series of smaller cables of varying length with an Anderson plug at one end and eyelets at the other. I installed these small cables onto the batteries in my boat (2), Hilux (2), my Landcruiser (3), my motorcycles, motorcycle trailer and my caravan (2). Then I could easily connect the Ctek to any one of the batteries that were sitting idle for months. No more removing farings or hoping the clips would hold under a car bonnet.
Needless to say I had not yet fixed one to the Triumph battery. That will happen tomorrow when I replace the battery.

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 10:55:05 PM »
Needless to say I had not yet fixed one to the Triumph battery. That will happen tomorrow when I replace the battery.

Fairly new battery?     :whistle
For the modern man who lives in the city, riding a bike might be one of the only ways to escape the humdrum monotony. To take off and ride. To be both at one with nature and one with the bike. To feel masculine. Adam Piggott

Offline Lionel

• Legendary Member
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 11:25:09 PM »
Under three years old and hasn't been used since March this year.  :spank

Offline Old Steve

• Legendary Member
  • Social Touter
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 01:50:49 PM »
I work in lubricants, and something is happening to greases because of lithium-ion batteries.

The majority of greases have a lithium base, usually something like lithium hydroxy stearate or a complex lithium soap.  The increase of lithium ion batteries has caused a shortage in lithium, and grease will be doubling in price.  If only I'd thought of this a couple of years ago I'd have bought lithium futures.
At my age you realise something very important, then ten minutes later you've forgotten it.

Offline alans1100

• 1999 ST1100A
  • Alan, Peterborough, SA
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 02:27:27 PM »
I work in lubricants, and something is happening to greases because of lithium-ion batteries.

The majority of greases have a lithium base, usually something like lithium hydroxy stearate or a complex lithium soap.  The increase of lithium ion batteries has caused a shortage in lithium, and grease will be doubling in price.  If only I'd thought of this a couple of years ago I'd have bought lithium futures.
Maybe Tesla uses a fair bit for their cars
1999 :bl11  2004 :13Candy

FarRider #921- BR15, BR17, CR1

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 03:29:25 PM »

There are a lot of "rare earths" that are going to skyrocket in value.  And China has a lot of them, but is using everyone else's first.

Offline Alfred

• ST Legend
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 07:44:08 PM »
Lithiums need to be charged at 6mth intervals if not used.  They generally are pretty reliable, but like everything, some do go wrong.

2006 ST1300P

Online Kev Murphy

• "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 09:22:50 PM »
Lithiums need to be charged at 6mth intervals if not used.  They generally are pretty reliable, but like everything, some do go wrong.

Lithium battery was flat after the bike was parked for just 2 days.  Have tested circuitry for voltage leaks, and the only drain is the dash clock.

Fitted NEW lithium last wednesday, rode it thursday and friday, but the NEW lithium battery was DEAD FLAT this afternoon when I went out to the bike.

Murphys Law? ... surely I didn't successively buy 2 faulty Lithium batteries?

I put a test meter on the bike to check if there is a leak or a short, but it is all clear.  And before anyone casts doubts that I don't know how
to use a meter, I was a registered electrician special class with 45 years in the trade until retirement 7 years ago.

Tomorrow, am returning the Lithium and going back to a standard lead acid cell.
0428 306 496

kjmurphy2@bigpond.com

Offline Alfred

• ST Legend
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 11:32:26 PM »
Must be a bad batch.  That is alot loss in just two days if nothing is on.
2006 ST1300P

Offline Biggles

• NatRally 2018 - Mackay
  • "Top Dog" 10000 club
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2016, 08:57:35 AM »
Tomorrow, am returning the Lithium and going back to a standard lead acid cell.

I hope they take it back.  Batteries are a bit like light globes- the sellers think you're trying to put it over them with an old one.  Probably OK with a new lithium, unlike  "torch" batteries.

As Alfred says- it looks a lot like a bad batch.  They can't have that high a failure rate in general or they would be off the market long ago.