Honda ST1300 Section > "How To..." Instructions and Pics for Regular Maintenance Jobs specific to the ST1300...

Re-oil the Rear Shock on a ST1300

<< < (2/2)

Biggles:
Strange coincidence!  I'd noticed after our ride on the horrible undulating road last weekend that there was an odd "thump" in the rear in some situations.  I then read up about the adjuster here and on the USA site and serviced mine yesterday.  It took 45ml of fork oil.  I haven't had a chance to test ride it (busy this morning, and it's raining steadily).  There's no oil on the ground under the bike, but maybe it has to be exercised to leak.  If there is a leak I presume the shock will have to be overhauled or replaced.

PC:

--- Quote from: Biggles on March 09, 2020, 01:32:41 PM ---Strange coincidence!  I'd noticed after our ride on the horrible undulating road last weekend that there was an odd "thump" in the rear in some situations.  I then read up about the adjuster here and on the USA site and serviced mine yesterday.  It took 45ml of fork oil.  I haven't had a chance to test ride it (busy this morning, and it's raining steadily).  There's no oil on the ground under the bike, but maybe it has to be exercised to leak.  If there is a leak I presume the shock will have to be overhauled or replaced.

--- End quote ---
I don’t think you should have any concerns about the shock. My understanding of the preload adjuster is that it is basically a little hydraulic jack that compressors the spring To stiffen the rear suspension to accomodate for different weights and road condition   Not a lot different from a car, the spring carrying the weight and the shock doing the dampening

DavidP:
Yep, that is exactly what it is, a hydraulic preload adjuster. Over the years a little bit of oil leaks past the seals and washers. Remember to replace the copper washers on the banjo bolt when you top up the oil + release the banjo bolt to remove the air trapped in the system after you top it up.
Did mine a few years ago, and is currently only 1 click off where it was after I did it. Before I topped it up it was 10+ clicks before there was any resistance.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

CallMeSteve:
Did mine yesterday morning. My preload was doing nothing for the first 20 clicks. It took about 10ml and it’s good as new. Went for a ride with my pillion yesterday and it handled the tight Mt glorious twisties an absolute treat. Plenty of boot scraping on my part but nothing metallic. Thanks again everyone, especially PC who was the first to bring it to my attention.

ruSTynutz:
Here's yet another "how to". https://youtu.be/IgOWLfPiVQQ
As a bonus it also shows you how to adjust the rebound damping.  :clap

Coming across this video a coupla weeks ago encouraged me to venture out to the garage to re-do mine...  :thumbs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version