Farkles, Gear & Accessories > What have you done in the shed today

Reclamation not a Restoration

(1/3) > >>

Greencan:
Greetings all…

Late last year I was offered and accepted this paddock find, rather than the odd barn (or shed), find that occasionally comes up. In this case twas a 1980 Honda XL185 that has Australian compliance plates, but has never been registered, so fair to say it had spent all of its life in life running around paddocks in all weather and splashing through plenty of sloppy cow’s poos and the like, it the extent of rust and corrosion was anything to go by! :eek

Anyway the upshot of which is it cost me $100 to take it off of a Mate’s hands and I began the reclamation in the second week of January and hope to have it on club plates by the end of Feb. for a total cost of $900-$1,000. And all this to see if I can ride on dirt again after a lay-up of almost 50 years. If it works out, then I reckon the ST’s will go and I will see my sites on something around toe 600-800cc mark that won’t need a step ladder to climb onto…plenty out there I know.

Before I got it home....

About half way through and about to begin hours of sourcing (read scrounging), spare parts, cleaning, sand blasting, painting and turning various bits n bobs up on the lathe. Decided to leave the engine in the frame at is a good runner (after approx 1/52 getting the carburetor sorted), and I wont refinish the tank, side covers (have to make one of those), and mudguards at this time...just wanna get enough done so it'll past muster for a road worthy.

As is today, now to get it off the stand and finish the wiring (least favourite job on planet earth), and tweek the suspension a tad.

Well that pretty much sums up my last month in the shed

Cheers, the can :-)

Nigel:
No doubt about it, your a legend................. :wht11

ST2UP:
It was one of these and a TS185 (we called it the "Turtle 5hit") that I learnt to ride on in the paddocks growing up  :hatwave

Mitch:
Looking good, how do you keep your shed so tidy while your working can. :thumb
                                            :grin :blk13 :grin

Brookester:
Great find...oh the days of paddock bashers and real scramblers...used to love my TS185 & the old mans Bultaco's ..... :thumbsup

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version