Honda ST1300 Section > Tyres...to suit your ST1300

The Lure of the Darkside

(1/10) > >>

Scarlett Thunderbolt:
  After our last long distance trip with Miss Scarlett, Rolling Thunder attached and the Navigator/QuarterMaster aboard, we were dismayed to see how much wear the rear tyre (Bridgestone Battlax) had taken... as a Sport Touring tyre, the hard compound centre hardly wore at all, while the softer compound shoulders seemed to melt away like butter... so as a result, we will dabble in the Darkside...

Miss Scarlett has gone over to the Darkside.... we present 'Darth Scarlett'

We've done a couple of local rides... the first solo test ride felt unusual, but not as different as I had imagined... it felt a little stiffer rolling into corners, experiencing no loss of traction, even with some aggressive acceleration exiting the turn... our two-up rides have been perfectly pleasant and comfortable... with the addition of a pillion on board, it felt like any other tyre... seat height may be a tad lower - for which the Navigator is grateful.

Hankook... 205/50ZR17 - 93W... 32psi solo... 34psi 2-up... maybe +2psi with trailer... Ventus S1 noble2... $144 Jax Tyres... fitted & balanced for $30 cash.

We'll have more info when we get to Wooli. Cheers, John, Kate & Darth Scarlett.

StinkyPete:
I had a mate go darkside on his cruiser, and he ran 24psi in the tyre.   I followed him through some twisties and there was a fair amount of sidewall distortion on cornering, and the low pressure minimized the resistance to the turn and kept most of the car tyre tread area on the road.  His experience was that the lower pressure was ave a significant improvement in handling over the higher pressures.  Based upon his experience, try running lower pressures and see just how it feels.

Shiney:
Looks good mate 8)

Scarlett Thunderbolt:

--- Quote from: StinkyPete on September 06, 2017, 02:07:50 PM ---I had a mate go darkside on his cruiser, and he ran 24psi in the tyre.   I followed him through some twisties and there was a fair amount of sidewall distortion on cornering, and the low pressure minimized the resistance to the turn and kept most of the car tyre tread area on the road.  His experience was that the lower pressure was ave a significant improvement in handling over the higher pressures.  Based upon his experience, try running lower pressures and see just how it feels.

--- End quote ---

... the pressure is strong in this one, Obi-Wan.  ... but we'll give your suggestion a go.

... especially riding Han Solo... it's all Kate's fault - she's the pun addict.

Scarlett Thunderbolt:

--- Quote from: Shiney on September 06, 2017, 03:37:08 PM ---Looks good mate 8)

--- End quote ---

thanks Mate... the most difficult part about this process so far, was finding someone to fit and balance it... i bought the CT at Jax Tyres, but then had to use my mates-of-mates connections, to get it properly fitted on a tyre-fitting machine.

the scariest part was not going for the first ride (one mate said i should remove all the tupperware first)... it was when i had the bike wheel and new CT side-by-side and was thinking "... no-way, that'll never fit..." - but it does!

end note... you have to drop almost all the air pressure out of the CT, when fitting it to the STeed... reinflate it and away you go. Cheers, John. (Kate's busy - so pun-free  :grin)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version