Honda ST1300 Section > Oils, Oil Filters & Servicing ST1300

Another oil question. Is it possible!?

(1/3) > >>

Biggles:
What's the best...

Nah, just tricking.

I did an oil change recently.  Filled it until it appeared in the visi-glass, then ran the engine until the oil light went out.  Then filled it to the middle of the lines and ran it again.  Checked it stayed in the range and chalked up another win for the goodies.

I put it up on the centre-stand today to prep it for a big week coming up (CMA National Run that we're hosting in Brissie).
And wouldja believe it?  The oil visi-glass is full, just like it had been over-fill by one of Honda's apprentices.  It's expanded?  (It was cold).

So, expert panel.  As the sadly departed Professor Julius Sumner Miller used to ask, "Why is it so?"

Sicman:
 :think1 My amateur guess - you filled it to the site gauge then ran the engine - This meant the oil got spread to the upper reaches and then you filled it again  - Therefore once time allowed for all the oil to settle in the pan again you had inadvertently overfilled  :o

alans1100:
Did you allow enough time for the oil to drain back to the sump after turning the motor off.

I fill to just below the top level, let motor run for a few minutes - more than enough time to pump oil through the system and fill the filter. Then I turn the motor off for five or ten minutes while I transfer the old oil into an old empty oil container.

Check level again top to just below the top mark if more is needed.

Biggles:

--- Quote from: alans1100 on October 11, 2017, 07:16:58 PM ---Did you allow enough time for the oil to drain back to the sump after turning the motor off.

--- End quote ---

You're both onto the same idea- not allowing enough time for the oil in the top of the engine to return to the sump by gravity.
I'm reasonably sure I did.  Any suggestions as to how long one should leave it?

All this is helpful to folk contemplating doing it themselves for the first time and maybe worried they'll break something.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, it's important not to overfill it.  One m/c workshop did it to one of our ex-members and it caused damage to seals in the engine.

ppopeye:
I believe the 5- 10 minute timeframe is good. Or. When the level settles and isnt going up any more.
It is critical though to prevent to issue you ahve raised.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version